13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 5:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Export file size estimation bug!

ChessChamp

Hi everyone,

I want the estimated file size of exported creation to be more accurate! Premiere elements 14 is not accurate at all in the estimation...

• 1. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ChessChamp

What computer operating system is involved?

Nonetheless....

I am plowing my way through Premiere Elements 14's new Expert & Share area, choice by choice.

If you give the specifics, I will try to reconcile what you want to do with the what is.

"It is what it is" may be what you face. But, let us explore the situation before making a judgment on how and what you are doing.

Please refer to PART 2 Expert and Share and the in depth details I have posted so far. More to come.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 14 First Look Details

Please consider.

ATR

• 2. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
            ChessChamp Level 1

I use windows 10.

I do a quick export and it is supposed to become 175Mb large file when exported but then when done it is 75MB I do another project and the estimation is 300MB and when doen it is over 500MB large.

Dont you have the same experience, that the file size estimation when exporting is completely wrong always, and far from the end result?

• 3. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ChessChamp

Thanks for the details.

Where are you seeing these 175 MB and 300 MB files size

a. In the Quick Export Custom Settings shown to you before you hit Save

or

b. Only in the export when you do a properties readout

Please note that the Quick Export has non user adjustable (max bitrate = 10000 kbps) and works off that as variable bitrate which will give you a significantly different overall bitrate. If the original file has a bitrate higher than 10000 kbps, you should be seeing a markedly lower file size in Custom Settings than you see in the properties of the original. And, if the bitrate of the original is lower than 10000 kbps, you should be seeing a markedly higher file size in Custom Settings than you see in the properties of the original.

One example, I will post others if necessary....

Media Info for Import before import

H.264.mov

File Size = 45.2 MB

Frame Size = 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate = 23.976 progressive frames per second

Duration = 10.719 seconds

Bitrate = 33.8 Mbps

Quick Export Export Settings after import of the above

Resolution = 1280 x 720

File Size = 7.51 MB

Duration = 10.10 seconds

File Extension = .mp4

MediaInfo for Export

AVCHD.mp4

File Size = 7.94 MB

Frame Rate = 23.976 progressive frames per second

Duration = 10.7 seconds

Bitrate = Overall about 6582 kbps with max 10000 kbps

Please review and supply specific details

a. project preset

b. properties of the original - including bitrate

c. where you are reading the file size

My first impression is that you are working with an export choice that does not provide for your user control. Seek other choice of export. I will help you with that after we work out the above.

a. First case, 175 MB vs 7.5 MB....original had higher bitrate than 10000 kbps (10 Mbps), maybe other variable as well

b. Second case, 300 MB vs 500 MB...original had lower bitrate than 10000 kbps (10 Mbps), maybe other variables as well

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ChessChamp

Add On to post 3....

If, before export, we use Quick Export Custom Settings for file size and file duration to estimate (guess estimate) the bitrate that is to be used

Bitrate = file size / duration = 7.51 MB/10.10 seconds = 5949 kbps  -  compare to MediaInfo readout of variable video Bitrate 6582 kbps when max = 10000 kbps.

ATR

• 5. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                  spinalman33

I have a weirder problem. I am concatenating three large video files on my Mac Pro in Premiere 14. The total of all three files is just over 1 GB. The estimated file size when trying to export to an MP4 is over 4.5 GB! If I lower the quality all the way down, it's still over 2.8 GB. The full video is 63 minutes long 1280x720 with a bitrate of 10mbps. The export format is HD 720. I've not done anything extravagant to the videos; I just took out some sections I didn't want. When it started rendering the video, it said it was going to take over 60 minutes, which is absurd.

Any ideas A.T.?

• 6. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

spinalman33

If you have a Timeline with a 63 minutes duration and the export uses a 10 Mbps (megabits per second) bitrate, the estimated file size of the export would be expected to be around 4.7 GB (gigabytes). And under those circumstances, a 1 hour plus export time would not be all that unreasonable.

Details

What is the bitrate and duration of each of the 3 files that constitute the Timeline content of this project? What are their video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension?

So, am I correct in understanding that you are questioning the export time of this project. As you know, the burn time is influenced by the nature and complexity of the Timeline content and the computer resources. Just what are your computer resources - processor speed, drive speed....?

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Mac does not offer Hardware Acceleration for "rendering, playback, and exporting" the way that Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows does when a Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher video card/graphics card is used by the computer. I am not sure just how much of an effect that Hardware Acceleration has with regard to speeding up specifically encoding times with or without effects in the mix.

What are you using for the export - Export & Share/Devices/Computer with HD720 1280 x 720 (format MP4 H.264) or Custom?

I am strictly an Elements Windows users, put 63 minutes of wmv video files on the Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Timeline, and found the estimated export time to be between 1 and 2 hours for the export that I believe you tried.

Although we would prefer shorter export times, what is your target...smaller file size or other?

Please consider, then we can compare workflows.

Thank you for exploring the comments.

ATR

• 7. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                      spinalman33 Level 1

Check this out. The original three parts are on YouTube. I used their editor (youtube.com/editor) to put them together taking out the parts I didn't want. The resulting MP4, which I downloaded is only 802 MB. What accounts for the extra size?

• 8. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

spinalman33

Thanks for the update.

What was the video compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, duration, and bitrate of each of the 3 parts that you uploaded to YouTube Editor? What did YouTube Editor use for its .mp4 file...video compression, frame size, frame rate, duration, and bitrate?

I am going to create a Premiere Elements Timeline to export to YouTube (noting duration and estimated file size). After uploaded, I will download the upload as .mp4 and look at the properties of the .mp4 in MediaInfo.

I will try to get the information posted in the next hour, if not, first thing tomorrow morning.

Right now I am only looking at what I upload versus what I download. To rule that phase in or out of the matter. Then I will look at the YouTube Editor in all this.

To be continued....

ATR

• 9. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

spinalman33

Initial testing goes to bitrate explanation.

I set up a Premiere Elements 14/14.1 project with project preset FLIP 720p30 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

The estimated file size was 60.52 MB and the duration was 1 minute and 1.1 second. The file was Windows Media Video 9.wmv.

I uploaded that to YouTube with the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature

Export & Share/Online/YouTube with HD 1080 1920 x 1080 (setting High for bitrate 8 Mbps). There is no 1280 x 720 upload choice.

After upload to YouTube, I download it as MP4 from the Video Manager.

What I got downloaded to my computer was

AVCHD.mp4 720p 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, not 1920 x 1080 the upload setting.

The file size was only 17.3 MB, and the Bitrate was variable, only 2182 Kbps (2.2 Mbps) with max 3060 Kbps (3.1 Mbps).

Compare with the file I uploaded - 8 Mbps (8000 Kbps).

So without even going into the YouTube Editor phase of the matter, we see explanations for the lower file size in the YouTube download.

I will get the YouTube Editor involved in this next by dragging into the YouTube Editor this file 3 x. And, then downloading the YouTube Editor moving with the 3 files included.

ATR

• 10. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

spinalman33

The rest of the story. Continuing from post 9.

In order to use the YouTube Editor, you need to start with a file that you have already uploaded to YouTube.

So, I started with the one that I just downloaded previously as the mp4.

(As a reminder, those properties of downloaded mp4 were found to be as reported above...

AVCHD.mp4

1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

Duration 1 min 1.1 second

File Size 17.3 MB

Bitrate variable with 2182 Kbps (max 3060 Kbps)

I took this file 3x from the Video Manager into the YouTube Editor to get its video that automatically placed in Video Manager.

Then I downloaded that as .mp4 to my computer. The properties of this downloaded .mp4

AVCHD.mp4

640 x 360 (16:9) @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

Duration 3 min 3 seconds

File Size 15.4 MB

Bitrate variable with 640 Kbps (max 909 Kbps)

Please consider. Lots of variables going on.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                              spinalman33 Level 1

You've explained how it is possible, but as I'm not as advanced as you, could you explain the settings I need to make so my files are smaller and more easily uploaded? I'm in Expert mode, going through Export and Share. I can see that under Devices, Custom, Advanced Settings, there are Export Settings and Basic Video Settings. What should these be to optimize YouTube uploading? (Premiere wouldn't allow a direct upload to YouTube, most likely due to the size (because of the bitrate)). Seems like it would automatically optimize the file. I never had this problem with Premiere 10.

• 12. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                                spinalman33 Level 1

Lots of information is on your blogspot post on the subject: Such as "Tip: See Expert & Share/Devices/Custom with preset = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30" [low, medium or high?]. I understand the built-in 15 minute time limit.

This stills begs the question of how to set up Premiere to create YouTube appropriate videos, even if they are an hour long.

• 13. Re: Export file size estimation bug!
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

spinalman33

Thanks for the follow up.

If you could do it in Premiere Elements 10, you can do it in Premiere Elements 14/14.1. The key is getting used to 14's new Export & Share layout.

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 project preset = NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD 720p30

Import your three 720p30 clips which you say are constituting your total duration =  63 minutes Timeline content.

Export that Timeline content to AVCHD.mp4 file

Export & Share

Devices

Custom and its Advanced Settings

create a 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second export preset for your H.264.mp4 file that you will save to the computer hard drive and from there upload it to YouTube at the YouTube web site.The Advanced Settings/Video Tab section would be expected to look like the following

14 replacement pp.JPG

For this screenshot, I had not imported anything to the Timeline yet.

YouTube, like Premiere Elements, has the 15 minute time limit. But, unlike Premiere Elements, it allows for the use of an extended time account for the upload (in your case 63 minutes).

Upload videos longer than 15 minutes - YouTube Help

If you want the 1920 x 1080, instead of the 1280 x 1080, file, the path is similar. Just adjust the Advanced Settings/Video Tab for frame width and height. Note any file differences and go with what works for you.

Please explore the above, and then let us know if that works for you, and, if not, what needs to be adjusted.

Thank you.

ATR