2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2015 10:37 AM by kudi

LR Not Saving Metadata on Subset of Files on External Drive

kudi

Thank you in advance for your help with these questions/issues.

My workflow consist of using LR 5.7 on a Mac to edit DNG files (created from RAW files with the Adobe DNG Converter). After I've do the majority of my edits, I archive the associated LR catalog along with the DNG files to an external driven (I work with multiple projects at the same time which takes up too much space on my desktop). I keep a copy of the LR catalog on my desktop and let LR know that the DNG files are now located (on a connected external drive). This is so that I can continue to make further alterations if needed before I permanently archive everything off my desktop and into my external drive. 

Issue #1: I am running into the problem of saving metadata to only a portion of my DNG files on the external drive with a error message saying "metadata could not be saved to XXX files because you have read only permission". This seems very odd as I do not have this problem with a majority of the other files and I did not make any permission changes. I have also checked the external drive permissions and I have both read and write permission switched on. Has anyone else experience this??

Issue #2 : At times when I need to create a LR catalog containing multiple projects (multiple LR catalogs) that are saved separately on my external drive, I run into the problem of LR not reflecting some of the metadata I know was originally saved and moved with those files to the external drive. In my instance, it's flagging of the images. Odd, I know. However, I've also tested just copying over the LR catalog on that one particular project and opening that up (updating the location of the DNG files that are now on the external drive vs. it being originally stored on my desktop).  When I view the LR catalog for a singular project, I do not run into such a problem.... Can anyone explain this?

I should add I have both manually moved files via Finder as well as inside of LR and experienced the same issues either way.

Thank you,

Christine !@

• 1. Re: LR Not Saving Metadata on Subset of Files on External Drive
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi kudi

Greetings!

Issue #1: I am running into the problem of saving metadata

Does this only happen with DNG while and happens only when you save to External drive?

I would recommend you to check External drive Read Write Permissions again.

Issue #2 : At times when I need to create a LR catalog containing multiple projects (multiple LR catalogs) that are saved separately on my external drive, I run into the problem of LR not reflecting some of the metadata

Did you also tried resetting Lightroom Preferences once(backup your catalog Lightroom5 catalog.lrcat before resetting) Recover catalog and images after resetting preferences

Regards

~Akash

• 2. Re: LR Not Saving Metadata on Subset of Files on External Drive
            kudi Level 1

Thank you, Akash.  I think I may have answered my own questions.

I was still working off of a "ghost" catalog on my desktop after having moved my files to an external drive. Although I relocated my original files on the external drive (originally located on my desktop where I created the LR catalog) in my original LR catalog, it seemed to have thrown off LR somehow and some of tagging and flagging wasn't reflected. So, I moved the LR catalog to my external drive as well and reimported it in under a  new catalog but it was still giving me the same issues. Next, I played around with the permission on my external, which seem fine. Finally, I threw my hands up for a couple of days after LR was doing all kinds of wacky things in the background with my moved files (secretly praying it doesn't delete anything...).

Can't explain it but after 2 days of taking all my old LR catalogs off my desktop, I started a fresh LR catalog again and used "Import From Another Catalog" to bring in the projects I still needed to put final touches on. Well, this time, it worked like a charm. Not sure why all the issues before, but I hope this helps anyone else out there that may run into this struggle. Thank you for your reply.

Regards,

Christine