4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 12:54 PM by santiagor71081207

MOTION STABILIZING & HORIZONTAL FLIP

santiagor71081207

Hi Forum,

This is my issue.

Desire effect: I'm trying to create a mirror image of a specific shot, but I need to add a Blend Mode in order to obtain a rainbow/psychedelic effect. For that reason, I'm not using Mirror effect, but the following process.

The process: I add a Stabilize Motion effect to a hand held shot. Once the shot has been tracked properly and confidence is 100%, I copy the shot/layer. I then flip that shot/layer horizontally 180 degrees (EFFECT > Transform > Scale Width -100) to create a mirror effect. And add Lighten Blend Mode for my desire rainbow effect.

The problem: my flipped shot/layer doesn't maintain the properties of the tracker.

The result: the half of my comp that has the copied/flipped shot/layer bounces around as if no stabilize motion effect. My mirrored effect doesn't work!

Already tried: If I try flipping image first and then tracking, it doesn't work either. I've also added the mirror effect, but it doesn't give me the superimposition look that I want.

I've checked several tutorials, and manuals, and much time spent on this. But nothing addresses the image flip with the tracking effect.

Any help is welcomed.

Thanks

S

• 1. Re: MOTION STABILIZING & HORIZONTAL FLIP
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are talking about warp stabilizer  then the best option is to render your stabilized shot to a production format digital intermediate and do the rest of your composite with the rendered DI. If you're talking about stabilizing then you could duplicate the stabilized layer then pre-compose a copy and do your flip on the copy. This would also work with warp stabilized footage.

Generally if things aren't working the way you expect a pre-comp will fix the problem.

• 2. Re: MOTION STABILIZING & HORIZONTAL FLIP
            santiagor71081207 Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work.

II even tried a Warp Stabilize with the pre-comp and I got the same problem.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

S

• 3. Re: MOTION STABILIZING & HORIZONTAL FLIP
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you warp stabilize footage that footage should be the only thing in the comp and then you really should render a DI if you are going to do anything else with the footage. If you drop that footage inside another comp and duplicate it then change the scale of the duplicate comp to -100, 100 it has to flip the footage and retain the stabilization It can't do anything else. The problem with working like this is that warp stabilization loads a ton of information into the project file that causes the file size to explode. Rendering the footage then getting rid of the warp stabilized comp will give you better results all the way around.

Another option would be to take your stabilized comp into another comp and use the mirror option.

I'm still not quite visualizing what you are trying to do. Only the edges of the footage will match up if you flip one copy. If you need another part of the footage to match up when flipped then you must pick the exact spot in the frame where you want the edges to match up, put the edge of a rectangular mask on the footage, then duplicate the footage, flip the footage, then change the mask on the top copy to Subtract. If you are trying to overlap the footage so that an arc matches when flipped then the angle and location of the split must be taken into account.

Show us a screenshot or post the video you're working with and we may be able to help you.

• 4. Re: MOTION STABILIZING & HORIZONTAL FLIP
                santiagor71081207 Level 1

Rick,

I figured it out!

I knew it was small detail that I was not careful with. Basically the way I was doing it was taking the copied layer and going EFFECT > DISTORT > TRANSFORM: and in there I would scale width to -100.

But I discovered by accident, that going through another path it worked. Ctrl+Click: TRANSFORM > HORIZONTAL FLIP. This works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your available help. I should mention that I'm still learning my way around AE.

Best,

S