8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2015 6:29 PM by A.T. Romano

Style Problems

noswad300 Level 1

Running new iMac with El Capitan OS and Premiere Elements 13.  I can open a project, open a title with text and go over to the Style tab and delete several of the standard Styles and they go away.  I can then create a new style that I want and save it and it shows up fine.  But . . . .  I then save the project, close Premiere, re-open Premiere, re-open the previous file, and all the styles are back to the pre-programed styles.  The deleted styles are back, and the style that I created is gone.

This is maddening?  I also tried the "reset style list" command even though I have no idea what that is supposed to do.

Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?

What is the point to Styles if they arent there to use?

Gene

• 1. Re: Style Problems
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

There are certain Premiere Elements files that regenerate when you delete them.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. See if you can find the Styles Folder. In Windows it is in the Adobe Folder -

Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0 and there should be a Styles Folder in there.

Delete the workingset.prsl file.

Then start anew with a "clean" Styles section in the project's Titler.

I would create your Styles without getting rid of Adobe originals. Then determine if your custom Styles are disappearing.

Please go through the following Adobe document on Titler Styles to determine if it offers any information that applies to your situation.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Applying styles to text and graphics

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Style Problems
            noswad300 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have played around extensively, I have done all the things you suggested, and have read the Help multiple times.  Nothing has helped at all.  I also opened up my copy of Premiere Elements 12.0 on my old iMac running the previous OS (Yosemite) and it has the same behavior.

I have used Premiere Elements for several years but until now had not ventured into the Style area.  It is very clear to me that on the Mac the Style software is a total mess.  I don't see how Adobe could be on version 12 and 13 and still have that poor software.  Very disappointing, especially after investing around $80 bucks.

It looks like every time you start the software it regenerates the initial Style file that you pointed out to me, thereby wiping out all previous changes.  But . . . there are other shenanigans going on.  When I create a new style in one project, and open up another without shutting down the main program the created style has little black diamonds with ? in each one for the name and it does nothing.

Thanks again for your time.

Gene

• 3. Re: Style Problems
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try checking for a corrupt font. Corrupt fonts on a Mac can cause any number of problems with programs that access your fonts.

Here is how to check and eliminate corrupt fonts.

Mac Tips: Find and Eliminate Corrupt Fonts in OSX | LifeSpy

• 4. Re: Style Problems
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

Thanks for the reply and exploring the problem and suggestions.

I am not a Mac user, but it seems that the probability is on the low side for a font problem in two different Mac computers causing your issue.

But, worth a rule in or out as you did for the deletion of the Style file that I suggested.

One of the shortcoming of Premiere Elements 12 was a text styles issue in the Expert workspace only. The Adobe fix for that came with its 12.1 update of 12 to 12.1. Are you working from the 12.1 Update of 12? In this context, do you have this issue if you work in the Quick instead of the Expert workspace?

What I find hard to reconcile with the troubleshooting symptoms is the following which you wrote

When I create a new style in one project, and open up another without shutting down the main program the created style has little black diamonds with ? in each one for the name and it does nothing.

Do you see that in both computer models? Could you post a screenshot of this Styles thumbnail that has black diamonds with ? in each of the name and it does nothing? Have you considered a program uninstall reinstall if not deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file - probably found

Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0/ ?

If none of that impacts the situation, we can go step by step in the same protocol that I can do and determine how our results compare.

We will be watching for your progress as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Style Problems
                  Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It could be among the long list of problems with Adobe software and El Capitan (primarily Premiere Pro and After Effects). Try going back to the previous operating system and see if the problem goes away.

• 6. Re: Style Problems
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Peru Bob

Did you see post 2 from noswad300 regarding the Styles problems of noswad300's Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan?

Please refer to noswad300's already looked at

Nothing has helped at all.  I also opened up my copy of Premiere Elements 12.0 on my old iMac running the previous OS (Yosemite) and it has the same behavior.

ATR

• 7. Re: Style Problems
                      noswad300 Level 1

Guys, Thanks much for your help and time.  I'm afraid I have given this issue all the time I can afford so I'm done with it.  Premiere Elements 13, like 12 before it, has numerous problems on a Mac.  It is crashing on me, and frequently just starts behaving badly and I have to restart it.  Frankly, there are OS issues with every Adobe product I have used, including Lightroom CC on a Mac.  I wish they would either get their act together with the Mac or quit supporting it.

Anyway, I can get what I want done with the software, it's just aggravating to deal with it much of the time.

Thanks again.

Gene

• 8. Re: Style Problems
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

Thanks for updating your situation.

If you ever want to revisit your Premiere Elements Styles issue or others, please do not hesitate to ask.

But, under the circumstances that you described, best to devote your time in creativity than troubleshooting whenever possible.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR