7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2015 6:42 AM by A.T. Romano

I want to combine projects in PE 11.

beestee51

I want to split a large project into a number of smaller projects, which I can combine at a later stage when everything is complete.

What is the best quality Export setting that I can use, with a view to re-importing into PE 11?

Earlier answers seem to suggest using AVI, but this appears to be restricted to a frame size of 720 x 480.

As I'm working with 6000 x 4000 JPG files, and will be viewing on a 1920 x 1080 TV, I want to keep maximum quality when exporting individual projects

• 1. Re: I want to combine projects in PE 11.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I show you in my books, the best way to combine high-def video projects is to output each segment using Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD, using the M2T 1920x1080i preset.

• 2. Re: I want to combine projects in PE 11.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

beestee51

You wrote

Earlier answers seem to suggest using AVI, but this appears to be restricted to a frame size of 720 x 480.

Not so.

If you want to pursue that avi choice for individual files going into the master project...

Download and install a free Lagarith Lossless Codec. Once installed, it will become available to your Premiere Elements 11 project share area under the Publish + Share/Computer/AVI advanced settings.

1. Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Widescreen

2. Then, under the Advanced Button of that preset, customize the preset for 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second as a Lagarith.avi file. See details in following Advanced Button/Video Tab

smallinlarge.JPG

Once you complete the Export Settings and have created the custom preset and click OK to that dialog, the description of the new preset will replace the original information there.

My alternative would be Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 for photo quality reasons and others.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...How many of those 6000 x 4000, what level of computer resources?

• 3. Re: I want to combine projects in PE 11.
              beestee51 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for speedy reply!

For the time being I will go with the MP4H H.264 etc as you suggest.

If that doesn't seem satisfactory then I will consider Lagarith.

Project is a slideshow compiled using PE11. Most of content is 6000 x 4000 JPGs, with a few minutes of video.

Computer resources seem to be coping thus far.

BT

• 4. Re: I want to combine projects in PE 11.
                beestee51 Level 1

Steve, thanks for quick reply.

I will try the M2T preset, as you suggest.

I've also had a suggestion to try MP4H H.264, so will try that as well.

Thank you,

BT

• 5. Re: I want to combine projects in PE 11.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BT

Thanks for the follow up.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Others (including me) have reported for a long time, that the 1920 x 1080 photo presents sharper in the export when a 1920 x 1080 with progressive frame rate is used (manually set if necessary via File Menu/New/Project). But, when video and photos are involved, you need to plan strategy for project settings since the project allows for only one project preset.

If you can get away with essentially all 6000 x 4000 jpgs, all well and good. But you seem to have a lot of 6000 x 4000 (3:2) photos heading for a 1920 x 1080 (16:9) destination. Consider.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: I want to combine projects in PE 11.
                    beestee51 Level 1

Romano,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will reply as follows:

I have found that the easiest way for me to get good enough quality slideshows onto my TV is to output the PE slideshow as a flash video file (F4V HD 1080P, frame rate same as source) - resolution 1920 x 1080. This seems to provide a sensible file size and good definition. MP4 files seem to be quite good quality but the file size is much larger than f4v. I also think there is a little flicker when zooming, which I haven't noticed in f4v files. Files in the m2t format are large in size, and won't play to my TV from either a memory stick or through a network.

As I say above, f4v seems to give very acceptable quality on a 40 inch HDTV.

Yes, I do have 3:2 photos displaying on a 16:9 display. I put a black border round the images, so that when zooming within an image, its ratio always remains the same. I prefer having a black border to having photos disappearing off the edge of the display. But having 3:2 photos on 16:19 display does preclude using many PE11 effects, as they would have a black band on either side - which looks bad.

In the end, I edited the whole slideshow (about 70 minutes) as a single file. I found that if I created it in sections (say 10 minutes each), then outputted to say an m2t file and imported that back, then I couldn't make any further changes - unless I went back to the original 10 minute section, edited that, re-exported, re-imported ...

Obviously, rendering the final video file takes some time (about 2 hours) but didn't present any technical problems.

My reply will probably seem to be very "low tech" but, as I say, it worked for me.

Thank you for your interest and advice.

• 7. Re: I want to combine projects in PE 11.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

BT

Thank you for the follow up. Great news of what worked for you. Well done, no "low tech" applies to that.

The sharing of the details of your success is appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR