0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 4:40 AM by Colin Flashman

Data Merge and Graphic Cells... has anyone tried this yet?

Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

Thought I would explore the possibilities of using Data Merge with graphic cells since introduced as part of the tables since CC 2015, but have generated some strange results.

What works so far:

When making a one page document with one table with only one graphic cell that contains a variable image, it merges to a new InDesign file fine, whether I am using single record or multi-record.

What doesn't work so far:

• When making a one page document with one table with only one graphic cell that contains a variable image and merging to PDF (again, single record or multi-record) it doesn't matter... the first page is OK, but every subsequent page shows the table frame and that's it.
      • Data Merge also allows me access to two more frame fitting options that aren't available when placing a static graphic directly into a graphic cell - fit frames to images; and preserve frame and image sizes. So using the same file as above, but using the fit frames to images, I can make the table cells change width and height based on the size of the image... at least I can in the preview window. When I merge to PDF I only get the first page... and when I merge to InDesign it is fine... until:
      • I have two graphic cells side by side (or above and below) and each cell contains a different variable image. Again, merging to PDF doesn't go beyond the first page, but if I merge to an InDesign file, the resulting tables are a mess. There's no logic as to how the table cells are being assigned the sizes that they have become. Interestingly, if the graphic cells are diagonally opposite each other, then the results appear fine.

I've made a demo file available here Dropbox - DMgraphiccells.zip for testing. Make sure to use change the content placement options and change to "fit frames to images" when attempting to replicate what I think is a bug.

That said, has anyone used Graphic Cells in a table in conjunction with Data Merge?

Colin