7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2015 11:06 AM by ssprengel

dng xmp sidecar

chrisk98023789 Level 1

i want to start a raw editing service for photographers and i want the clients to send me small dng files over the internet and i edit them and send back the xmp with all the changes i made for them so they can place them in their original raw folder.

my understanding is that dng cannot produce xmp fies but i know many companies like mine are doing it so please help me understand how.

• 1. Re: dng xmp sidecar
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Moving this thread to : Digital Negative (DNG)

• 2. Re: dng xmp sidecar
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you change the DNG files to read-only before you start working on them in Camera Raw then the XMP files will be created. But it seems like a lot of work to go to since all of the adjustments are stored within the DNG file itself. If you are using Lightroom you will also have to change your preferences to write changes to XMP files. Then, when you return the images to your client it will be necessary for them to read data from the XMP file. It will require careful ordination on both ends for everything to work smoothly.

• 3. Re: dng xmp sidecar
              chrisk98023789 Level 1

the thing is that even when i have clicked the option to "automatically white changes into XMP" when i work on my DNG's in LR, no XMP files are produced, at least i dont see any sidecar XMP for my DNG's, this is so frustrating pleaaaaase explain.

• 4. Re: dng xmp sidecar
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Normally, changes are written inside of the DNG instead of in a separate file.  As an earlier post, said, make the DNG files read-only using an OS utility before you import them in LR, and see if you get separate XMP files.

• 5. Re: dng xmp sidecar
                  chrisk98023789 Level 1

i have done that too

read only png, import them to a new catalog with "automatically white changes into XMP"  checked, manipulate the files but again no xmp files produced on the original dng folder (or elsewhere)

what am i doing wrong

• 6. Re: dng xmp sidecar
                    chrisk98023789 Level 1

thank you but i dont know what im doing wrong but no xmp files are produced when manipulating files in lightroom, even when i have "automatically white changes into XMP"  checked

in photoshop they are produced but in lightrrom not

please help

• 7. Re: dng xmp sidecar
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this with a readonly DNG and see if an XMP is produced, then:

If not, then you cannot do what you want to do with DNGs.  You'll either have to send back the updated DNG or request native raw files that will get an XMP file created.