4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2016 3:13 PM by EvilBugQueen1

Flattened JPEG for hi-res image? Best way to kill Adobe Stock

Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I was fortunate to be at Max where all the attendees got 12 free Adobe Stock images.

I have a project today that I could use a stock image for. So I looked up the category and found something perfect. Image: 48270870.

I downloaded the low-res, jpeg preview. Since there was type where I wanted a blank area, I used Photoshop to delete the text. It wasn't good since the image had a gradient in the area I wanted plain. But I assumed (bad idea) that the final image would have layers.

I got approval to use the image.

I used one of my credits to download the image. Imagine my shock when I discovered the final hi-res file is a flattened JPEG!

We're talking about a silhouetted image with a white background, faked cast shadow, and headline text that was obviously added over the original image.

There are many things wrong with this image:

#1 The text has been flattened onto the newsprint. This makes the image very difficult to use with customized text.

#2 The gradient over the page makes is very difficult to use Photoshop editing tools to delete the text.

#3 There is no alpha or transparency channel to be able to use the image on a different background.

#4 There is no alpha or transparency channel to select the stack of papers without the faked cast shadow.

#4 The image has a huge area of blank white at the top and left side that should have been trimmed.

If I had gotten this image from a student, I would have given her a C-.

Now I know that the headline was added electronically to the photo because there are several other versions of the same image with different headlines.

In fact, on closer examination I see that the entire front page was electronically added to the original photo which is hardly anything to write home about.

However, I just discovered, AFTER I ALREADY USED ONE OF MY CREDITS, that there is a version of the image without the headline. This means that if I want a clean area to insert my own headline, I have to use another credit.

This is the sort of cheap, amateurish type of stock image I'd expect from one of those "10,000 Images for $1" CDs we used to buy in 1990.

But not from something with the Adobe name!

Right now I will use an additional credit to purchase the "clean" copy of the image. But that's it. I won't bother with Adobe Stock again.

And I guarantee you that anyone who tried the "10 images free for a month" offer, and had my experience, would close up the browser window and never use the service again.

This is a perfect example of "the fastest way to kill a bad product is with great advertising." There were 7,000 people who got this promotion at Max. That's 7,000 chances for someone to give it up in disgust and tell their company and friends not to use it.

I can understand an image of a woman on a background not having an alpha channel and text on its own layer. But this silhouetted newspaper is just awful!

• 1. Re: Flattened JPEG for hi-res image? Best way to kill Adobe Stock
          Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Sandee,

Actually the image you are referencing even states right on the details page that it is a jpg. For something editable like that you need to filter by vector or illustration.

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 5.37.59 PM.png

I will agree that 'some' of the images are very clip art-ish but that goes for any stock image site. The images in Stock are the exact same images as in Fotolia so many have been there for years. Like any stock photo service you will have to weed through them to find the perfect images.

• 2. Re: Flattened JPEG for hi-res image? Best way to kill Adobe Stock
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Brad,

I'm not going to insult you by asking if you understand what a Photoshop layer, alpha channel, or transparency channel is. I'm going to assume that you didn't read my request carefully and thought that I was asking for editing capabilities that are available only in vectors or illustrations. I mean you would HAVE to understand what editing capabilities are available for raster images. Right?

But what you seem to have missed is that the images should NOT be JPEGs. They should NOT be flattened. They should NOT have excess white space that does nothing. They SHOULD have layers for the image, cast shadows, and text.

Of course I was the stupid customer who didn't see the label for jpeg. And therefore didn't imagine that I would be purchasing such a poor quality product. The fact that the images are the exact same images as in Fotolia only makes it obvious that Fotolia images are poor quality. Take a look at: Alpha Channel Stock Photos, Images, & Pictures | Shutterstock. This is a company that understands what high-quality stock images mean.

Fortunately I didn't pay for the two images I used from my 12 image credit.

And ordinarily I am an enthusiastic supporter of Adobe products and services.

But this experience has turned me off Adobe Stock permanently.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Flattened JPEG for hi-res image? Best way to kill Adobe Stock
              adtypeanddesign

I ran into the same problem, so I'm going to have to use vector. My client is not going to pay me two hours' time to get rid of the background on a flattened JPEG. Would have preferred to use a photo rather than a drawing, but oh well...

• 4. Re: Flattened JPEG for hi-res image? Best way to kill Adobe Stock
                EvilBugQueen1 Adobe Employee

Hi Timothy,

I recently brought this issue to the attention of our product manager regarding JPEGs being posted to the Adobe Stock site with text indicating users can change it. We are working on a solution. I apologize for the inconvenience. You can filter for vectors by clicking the filter button next to the search fields.

EBQ