4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 5:51 PM by SteveH59

Transferring AVCHD movies to Prem Elements 11

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

The manual for the Canon Legria HF R57 camcorder states 'use Transfer Utility LE (Pixela) to save your AVCHD movies to your Windows computer', but can't I use Prem Elements 11 to do that?

The camcorder offers a choice of working with MP4 or AVCHD - I am not too sure what the difference is.

With AVCHD, according to the manual, the camcorder has four video quality settings (50P, MXP High Quality, FXP Standard (Full HD), or Long Play. If I choose 50P (for the highest quality), should I be looking for Prem Elements 11 to 'grab' the movie at PAL | AVCHD Lite 720p50 when it comes to determining the settings at the beginning of a project (File | New) as in the image below:

AVCHD.jpg

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Transferring AVCHD movies to Prem Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveG59

Of the choices of AVCHD or MP4, start with the AVCHD choice. Both these choices should be using AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264) video compression. But they are using different wrapper formats as indicated by the file extension. I believe your AVCHD has mts file extension and MP4 has .mp4 file extension. Each uses a different audio format. AVCHD choice has Dolby digital Stereo and MP4 uses AAC Stereo.

If you are recording p50 with your camera, that appears to come with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Use that rather than 1440 x 1080. More on that later.

Specifications (LEGRIA HF R56/R57/R506)

If you are recording 1920 x 1080p50, then you manually or the project automatically needs to set the project preset for

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

For the first try, import your video into Premiere Elements 11, and let 11 set the project preset automatically based on its analysis of the properties of your video when it is the first file dragged to your new project Timeline. Check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to verify what it has set. If it has not set the project preset to match the properties of your 1920 x 1080p50, then we will go through setting the project preset manually and correctly before importing the p50 into the project.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Transferring AVCHD movies to Prem Elements 11
            SteveH59 Level 1

Great help as usual, ATR

Yes, the manual refers to a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

So I don't go to File | New | Project | Change Settings | PAL | AVCHD | AVCHD 1080p50 and then 'Force selected Project Setting on this project'
            (checked), as I normally would?

I should simply import it and allow Prem Elements 11 determine the settings based on what it can read from the imported file when it is dragged
            to the Timeline? And then I just ensure that it correlates to AVCHD 1080p50 by going to Edit | Project Settings | General.

Thank you - very useful advice.

Steve

• 3. Re: Transferring AVCHD movies to Prem Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the follow up.

When troubleshooting or using a video source for the first time, I prefer to set the project preset manually just to get started on a firmer footing.

And, I use the usual route for the manual project setting

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

In my post 1 comments, I wanted to determine how the project automatic way was going to handle your p50.

As you develop with your source video and Premiere Elements workflow, it may take you into using the MP4 choice of your camera instead of the AVCHD choice so that you put AVCHD.mp4 on your project Timeline instead of AVCHD.mts. Once you establish the behavior of your video in your workflow you will have more flexibility in deciding what is best for you.

If you have 1080p50 footage and the project automatically set ups the 1080p50 project correctly, the Edit Menu/Project Settings/General should look like

p50.JPG

And, if you set up the project preset manually for your 1080p50, it should look the same since you both set for a 1080p50 project.

Please consider. Do not hesitate if you have questions on your Premiere Elements projects.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Transferring AVCHD movies to Prem Elements 11
                SteveH59 Level 1

ATR

I will try it the automatic way first (I have not done it that way before) even if just for practice, check that the settings correlate, and that Edit | Project Settings | General look as in your screenshot.

I was a bit surprised reading up on AVCHD and its 50 fps. I have only know 25fps and 30fps. I suppose that's what accounts for the added quality?

This project will not be ready for another 2-3 weeks because the camcorder owner wishes to record Halloween on it, but I will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Steve