3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2015 2:21 AM by e_duard

Open a RAW file + XMP outside the original Lightroom setup

e_duard

I exported my RAW file with a new name but when I put it in a different folder and open it I don´t get the history, I can only see the original RAW. I can get it to work to redirect it to the new folder name but this makes my worry that if my laptop with my Lightroom install gets stolen or whatever my exported or saved work in all my .XMP files all my work / history will get lost. Any suggestions of how I could get it to work with just the .XML file and the associated RAW file? Also I do like to keep my files in the original .ARW format rather then converting everything to .DNG.

Eduard

• 1. Re: Open a RAW file + XMP outside the original Lightroom setup
          Bob Somrak Level 5

The history is NOT stored in the XMP files.  The history is only stored in the catalog.  Your only choice is to backup the catalogs and Raw files.  You can also backup the XMP files for a double backup of your edits and metadata.

• 2. Re: Open a RAW file + XMP outside the original Lightroom setup
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi e_duard

Which version of Lightroom are you using?

What is your Operating system?

Do you have option "Automatically Write changes to XMP" checked?

screen-capture-3.jpg

Regards

~Akash

• 3. Re: Open a RAW file + XMP outside the original Lightroom setup
              e_duard Level 1

Thanks Akash,

Sorry for my late reaction, I was out shooting as the weather was just too nice. I´m running LR 5.7 on Win 7. What I did was creating an export which gives me a copy of the .RAW file and a .XMP file. When I open the .XMP in Wordpad I can read it has stored the complete history of changes that I made in LR up until the moment of exporting. What I would like to do is to open the .RAW file + .XMP to pick up the changes that I´ve made and continue from a certain point to make it better. I can do it as long as my catalog is in order but I would also like to do this let´s say 10 years later when possibly my catalogue get corrupted or whatever. The .RAW file + the .XMP file do contain all the data needed to do this but I can´t find a simple function open .RAW + import associated .XMP to do so.

Eduard