4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 9:29 AM by ThomasH_on_the_web

LR6.1.1 with Windows 7: Disk constantly rattles for hours

ThomasH_on_the_web Level 1

I cannot discover that LR is doing all the time. Do you also observe this issue?  Compared to LR5 the new version is indeed more responsive, foremost the change to Develop Module is much faster.  But other than that, LR6 seems to be a very troubled product.

Process Explorer shows 2 processes: lightroom.exe and 'Adobe Lightroom CEF Helper.'  The lightroom.exe counted already 70GBytes "bytes read", but I do not do anything. List of active threads in diagnosis window of lightroom.exe changes constantly, but prevailing is substrate.dll!AgMainThreadAction_trigger+0x500. The top one of these threads uses constantly 15%..20% CPU in my quad-core Xeon processor.  Simply horrible.

At some time a popup showed informing me that my disk drive space is dangerously low, and asked me to delete some amount of of MBytes.  I was stunned and took a look at my F: drive: 2TB of free space, over 50%. What is going on??

When I look at the flood of complaints and bug reports, I think that no effective help of improvement can be achieved short term. I might even stay with LR5.7.1 for as long I can, the HDR can wait, I still have my Photomatix for that.

• 1. Re: LR6.1.1 with Windows 7: Disk constantly rattles for hours
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi ThomasH_on_the_web

Greetings!

The top one of these threads uses constantly 15%..20% CPU in my quad-core Xeon processor.

Could you post a screenshot of the same

• Does that happen when Lightroom is idle or when you are working
          • Make sure your Graphics card is up to date
          • Test by unchecking  the option "Use graphics processor" under Preferences>>Performance in Lightroom and see if it makes any change.

At some time a popup showed informing me that my disk drive space is dangerously low, and asked me to delete some amount of of MBytes.  I was stunned and took a look at my F: drive: 2TB of free space, over 50%. What is going on?

Did you get that message in Lightroom?

Open Lightroom go to Help>>System info

Post the report here

Regards

~Akash

• 2. Re: LR6.1.1 with Windows 7: Disk constantly rattles for hours

Hi, yes here come the screenshots:

1st, today I see 2 child processes of Lightroom.exe:

20151011093613.png

As you can see lightroom.exe racked up already over 300Mbytes bytes read, alone after start.  Disk rattles constantly. These are 2 screenshots of thread activity from process explorer, I wish I could resize this loop-hole window (one in-famous Windows issue, I will age and die before they finally change it...):

20151011093637.png20151011093638.png

And here another snapshot: This list of thread changes constantly in millisecond tact: In fact this forum software ignored the cursor position, and inserted the 2nd image in front of this text. (Off topic: A common malice in contemporary web-apps, we have it with Comast's web mail as well. )

I made the experiment with the graphics card (switched off the acceleration in Properties/Performance).  No dice. The threads list look similar.

Now to the other suggestions:

Please be so nice not to say "make your graphic card current", or maybe even "make sure your power cord is plugged in", "unplug your computer, count to 30 and plug back in," and all such. Please, its unnerving. I have Dell-system update running, its downloads constantly all sorts of hardware related updates, BIOS, drivers, etc.

LR6 racked up already 1Gbyte "bytes read" after I restarted it with acceleration disabled and wrote these sentences.

If you could recommend be a different or better run-time diagnosis tool, I will be glad to download it and provide you with more experiments.

Thomas

• 3. Re: LR6.1.1 with Windows 7: Disk constantly rattles for hours

I forgot to add regarding the disk space:  I am in fact not sure if this popup was from LR or from windows. My system has 4GB memory, what might be again not enough, I just ordered 8GB more. Maybe LR keeps swapping ?  Our software has similar problem, the resource consumption is completely out of control. Everybody just takes any amount of memory and drive space for granted.

Since this one case, I cannot reproduce the disk space message and situation.  I have on 3 drives around 10TB total, no drive is occupied in more than 50%, except a dormant backup drive, which has a "puny 2TB" and has to go.  We used to run a department on 256MB drives... I am getting philosophical here.

Thomas

• 4. Re: LR6.1.1 with Windows 7: Disk constantly rattles for hours

Apparently we do not go ahead here at all with this not ending drive activity...

For what its worth: After I added 8Gbytes, to currently 12GB memory, LR6.1.1 is now quiet.