5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 10:35 PM by wobertc

Destructively Editing Originals using Lightroom?

escaped.light Level 1

Is there a hidden feature in Lightroom that will allow me to edit or save my original JPEGs, destructively?

Normally, I would never make changes to my own originals, but in the project I am currently working on there are about 255 JPEGS taken with an iPhone and already arranged into a video slideshow in Premiere. However, no one bothered to change the levels or color correct them at any point, and I don't want to completely re-build the entire video sequence. Ideally I can just alter the originals and refresh Premiere with the changed before I render...

For all intents and purposes, the levels and color corrections in Premiere are cumbersome, difficult and do not offer the more refined photo editing features of LR, so that's out, in my opinion.

My other option, as I see it, is to open and edit each one individually with Photoshop and save the originals that way, but it's slow and inefficient when compared to LR for working with such a large set.

Any help, or work arounds or plug-in suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Destructively Editing Originals using Lightroom?
          vinsolo Level 3

don't see a way short of work on each image.

Smarter people may be able to help you.

Sounds like a job.

If they ALL have the same color correction, unlikely, you could correct one and the copy that correction to all the others.

good luck

vince

• 2. Re: Destructively Editing Originals using Lightroom?
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi escaped.light

Which version of Lightroom are you using?

Is there a hidden feature in Lightroom that will allow me to edit or save my original JPEGs, destructively?

Lightroom works non destructively.You could Reset your editing any time you want that would take you to the Original Picture.Or by using the History panel in the Develop module.And apply the same changes to all by turning on Auto Sync

Image result for reset lightroom editing          Image result for reset lightroom editing

My other option, as I see it, is to open and edit each one individually with Photoshop and save the originals that way, but it's slow and inefficient when compared to LR for working with such a large set.

You could create a Preset for your images/Videos and then apply to all or use the default Lightroom Preset.

Then you can sync the Editing(Color correction,levels etc)

Hope that helps

Regards

~Akash

• 3. Re: Destructively Editing Originals using Lightroom?
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

No.!

You could-

1.     adjust all the images in Lightroom

2.     Export all the images. (JPEG, do not re-size, do not re-name)

3.     Optional- (Delete all the originals)

• 4. Re: Destructively Editing Originals using Lightroom?
                escaped.light Level 1

Oh wow, that is exactly what I'm looking for, and kind of realized it was right in front of me the whole time.

Ultimately, I don't want to change Light Room's behavior or workflow anyways. I just needed to use it this way in this particular instance.

Although a "Right Click" feature like, "Overwrite changes to original" would still be handy for working in this type of workflow...

• 5. Re: Destructively Editing Originals using Lightroom?
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

"Overwrite changes to original"

1. This is exactly what Lightroom is designed NOT to do!

2. My option to 'delete originals' in the post above is BAD ADVICE!

3. Every time you re-save a JPG image file the compression algorithms create more damaging JPG artifacts, akin to making photo-copies from photo-copies. Something you should not do.

4. You can export 'copy' JPGs from your originals in Lightroom any time - only as required- and I would only ever delete the 'copies' when no longer needed!