7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2015 3:23 PM by rob day

PDF export issue From Indesign to Blurb book - Color changes

vthoma16

Hello,

This is my first post on the Adobe forum.

I have a problem when exporting a PDF that is intended to be printed for a Blurb book. The preview on the blurb website is very different than my PDF in terms of colors.

Here is my workflow:

- All my photos are converted to the CMYK blurb color profile (via photoshop) and saved as TIFF.

- I place all my photos on my layout in Indesign CS6 (which has the Blurb color profile too)

- Then I define the PDF export preset that Blurb has provided (the profile description is [Based on 'Blurb PDF X-3 Export Preset'] [Based on '[PDF/X-3:2002]'] Use these settings to create Adobe PDF documents that are to be checked or must conform to PDF/X-3:2002, an ISO standard for graphic content exchange.  For more information on creating PDF/X-3 compliant PDF documents, please refer to the Acrobat User Guide.  Created PDF documents can be opened with Acrobat and Adobe Reader 4.0 and later.]

- This is when the problem starts: If I read the PDF with Adobe reader it looks fine (i.e. as I see it on my Indesign screen) SEE IMAGE 1. But if I look at the preview of the PDF on the Blurb book preview module it looks really bad (see IMAGE 2).

So my question is:

What could possibly explain that my PDF looks so different than the Blurb preview and what step should I take to address this problem?

People at Blurb have no clue so I'm hoping the Adobe community can help me!

Thank you in advance!

Vincent

IMAGE 1: As seen on PDF when read with Adobe reader

1 a- What I see on PDF - Blurb settings using Acrobat.jpg

IMAGE 2: as seen on the Blurb preview module.

IMAGE 2 - same pdf as viewed on foxit reader.jpg

• 1. Re: PDF export issue for Blurb book.
          Derek Cross Level 6

I suggest you place your images in InDesign as sRGB (you'll have to go back to the original images, not the ones that are already converted to CMYK). When you've finalised your InDesign document export it Acrobat PDF presets, selecting the Blurb PDF preset (that you've installed). You can view the resultant  PDF using Acrobat on your own (presumably calibrated monitor).

• 2. Re: PDF export issue for Blurb book.
            vthoma16 Level 1

When I ask Blurb questions, they take at least one full day to reply... Thank you for being so fast in providing support!

I'll do as you suggest and let you know if it worked!

Thank you again!

Vincent

• 3. Re: PDF export issue for Blurb book.
              Derek Cross Level 6

I suggest you don't redo the whole document again – just do a couple of test pages first!

• 4. Re: PDF export issue for Blurb book.
                vthoma16 Level 1

UNBELIEVABLE...

1 month of fruitless back and forth discussions with Blurb support (they seem to have no clue...) and then I got my problem solved (apparently) in 5 minutes on Adobe forum...

It seems indeed that using sRGB images in Indesign does the trick... My PDF preview is now matching (as it should) the Blurb preview.

I can't believe Blurb is suggesting to first convert images in CMYK (in photoshop) before placing them in Indesign... All it did was a big mess and an awful waste of time!

Thank you so much Derek!

By the way, what is the explanation for the problem I had? Why does it make a mess if I use CMYK images in Indesign?

PDF export using Blurb settings (using sRGB images in Indesign)

ScreenHunter_134 Oct. 11 15.43.jpg

Blurb Preview:

ScreenHunter_133 Oct. 11 15.36.jpg

• 5. Re: PDF export issue From Indesign to Blurb book - Color changes
                  Derek Cross Level 6

There are more knowledgable people on this stuff on this forum than me [Dov Isaacs], but I think you were converting your colours twice,  RGB to CMYK and then again to CMYK, which doesn't help your colour management!

• 6. Re: PDF export issue From Indesign to Blurb book - Color changes
                    vthoma16 Level 1

Sounds like a reasonable explanation! If Dov Isaacs or other experts could confirm I would be keen on letting Blurb people know about this because their suggested workflow might really get some other novices like me in trouble and discourage them from using InDesign altogether.

• 7. Re: PDF export issue From Indesign to Blurb book - Color changes
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Blurb preview module

I have not printed with Blurb, but If by Blurb preview module you are referring to the Lightroom plugin, that would create a wrong preview because Lightroom has no CMYK or CMYK profile support. See this PS Lightroom help page:

Use Blurb and profiles

If you are not completely comfortable with color management then Derek's sRGB suggestion is a good one because it delays the conversion to CMYK to output and you are letting Blurb make the conversion, but we would have to assume in the end the conversion would still be to the Blurb CMYK profile.

One thing you have to watchout for is being mislead by out-of-gamut RGB colors. You can work in sRGB but still use the Blurb_ICC_Profile.icc profile for the softproof. In InDesign all you have to do is assign the Blurb profile and turn on Overprint preview.