16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2015 4:47 PM by A.T. Romano

Solid green screen on import.

abdulr76739399

Hi and sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I couldn't see anything

I have Premiere Elements 12 in Windows 10 (had used Elements in Windows 7 with no problem) with all graphic drivers updated, the latest QuickTime up to date and I'm running on an nVidia gtx780ti.

I have extensively used nVidia's built in shadowplay to screen record in Windows 7 with no problem. This creates .mp4 files but now when I import these into Elements it shows a solid green picture with sound. I've tried a codec pack, the K-lite one but this makes no difference. After looking through these forums and google nothing works.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

(if I've missed out any information you need I apologise and would be happy to add it.)

• 1. Re: Solid green screen on import.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The problem with using a program like Shadowplay is that you have no idea which codec the program is using to create your video files -- and it could well be a codec that does not play well with video editors.

Open a sample of that video in G Spot or Media Info, and note the resolution, frame rate and, above all, the video and audio codecs that it reports.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

• 2. Re: Solid green screen on import.
            abdulr76739399 Level 1

WillPlay.jpgGreen.jpg

Hi, thanks for the reply. Not sure what info you will need from GSpot so I've inserted two screen grabs of it open. They look the same to me but I may be missing something.

The one called 'WillPlay' is a video captured in Windows 7 and the one called 'Green' is captured in Windows 10.

I've just taken a look at both of these in PE and strangely the older one made on Windows 7 imports correctly.

Both clips play in any media player I have, VLC, WMP, and QuickTime.

Another thing, the older clip with the created in Win7 can be added to iTunes and plays but the newer clip (created in Win10 with a new install of PE)  will only import and play in iTunes if I change the .mp4 to .m4v.

Hope this helps.

(edit, just noticed unless you click and go to preferences you can't see the names. The top one is 'WillPlay' and the bottom is 'Green').

• 3. Re: Solid green screen on import.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

abduir

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 10 64 bit. If you have not updated 12 to 12.1 yet, please do that.

However getting to your immediate .mp4 green video.

It may have been your choice of export format including the video codec --- the GSpot codec utility already suggested should give you that type of information. But in the finally analysis you may need to convert the video anyway for reasons other than the video codec.

As I recall from prior threads here, Shadow Play records with a variable rather than constant frame rate. And, Premiere Elements does not fare well with that situation. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. The answer for this situation has been to take the video into the free HandBrake program to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version and then take that H.264.mp4 into the Premiere Elements project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders.

https://handbrake.fr/

Even if you can find another Shadow Play recording setting to get rid of the immediate obvious problem (green video), I believe that you will be facing the variable frame rate issue. So, the HandBrake conversion should take care of two problem to offer

a. video codec wrapped with .mp4 file extension that Premiere Elements supports

and

b. file with a constant rather than variable frame rate

Based on my experiences with Premiere Elements on Windows 7 vs Windows 10 64 bit, my impression is that the Premiere Elements successes and failures are the same before and after upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit. In your prior experiences with the Shadow Play video on Windows 7 (no problems) with Premiere Elements or another video editor - same recording settings - etc?

Please consider.

ATR

Add On...What version of QuickTime 7 do you have on Windows 10 64 bit? Please install QuickTime 7.7.6 if you have not already.

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Apple has a problem with QuickTime 7.7.8, the latest version, on Windows 10 64 bit, and, until Apple works out those problems, please use 7.7.6 since it meets the Premiere Elements QuickTime 7 requirement even though it is not actually the latest version of QuickTime 7.

• 4. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

abduir

I did not see your reply 2 until after I had posted my contribution in post 3.

I have assumed that your video card/graphics card is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card. Is that the case? If HandBrake approach does not work for you or you do not want to use it, have you looked at a roll back of the driver version if the driver is now at up to date status?

ATR

• 5. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                  abdulr76739399 Level 1

The graphics card is up to date and I don't rally want to use Handbrake (not quite sure what that does but did see people talking about converting or something).

As a test I will roll back my driver to the last one Win7 used. I'll let you know the result.

• 6. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                    abdulr76739399 Level 1

Ah, I can't use any windows driver but those for Win10. Fair enough.

I'll put the Win7 clone back for another test as I didn't make a new video with Win7 (earlier) to see if it will play in Win7 and then pull it into my Win10 installation to see if it plays there.

• 7. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

abduir

Thanks for the reply.

If your video is recorded with a variable frame rate, HandBrake or a comparable free program is likely what you need to use.

If the Shadow Play frame rate varies across the duration of the video with a minimum frame rate, frame rate, and maximum frame rate, HandBrake allows you to get the constant frame rate in a H.264.mp4 file. The one way to know for sure (if you do not know already) if your video has variable or constant frame rate is to take it into the free MediaInfo (Tree View) and look for 3 frames rates in its video properties readout. If you see only one frame rate, then the video is using a constant frame rate. And, this matter of variable vs constant becomes a non factor.

MediaInfo download | SourceForge.net

Be careful with your choices during download and install of Media Info since it is known to travel with unwanted baggage.

If the driver roll back gets rid of the green frames, is the audio in sync and can you import the file into the project?

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                        abdulr76739399 Level 1

Thanks for all the help you've given. Its appreciated.

I went back to Win7 and Shadowplay videos created today import correctly into PE in Win7. When I re-installed Win10 those same video's show up as solid green in the PE on Win10. I took a look on MediaInfo (I used to use it on Win7) but it shows no variable frame rate and old clips from Win7 and new clip from Win10 have the same details.

Apart from having to switch to Win7 every time I want to do some work  in PE  I'm a bit stumped.

I'll keep searching and if I find anything will post it here.  If you (or anyone else) has any further ideas for me to try I'll give it a go. I may download the trial of the latest PE just to see if that makes any difference.

• 9. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

abdykr

Thanks for the follow up with details of your troubleshooting.

Is there any possibility that you could send a small copy of the problem video so that I could look at it first hand in our Premiere Elements 12 and 14 on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit? You can use Google Drive or Dropbox to obtain a shareable link from the file saved to your computer hard drive. Then you post that shareable link in a reply here. Please do not send anything that would invade your privacy. I have not used Dropbox. But I can give you a how to for Google Drive for the sample sending.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                            abdulr76739399 Level 1

Yes, of course. No problem. Here's the link -

Desktop 10.11.2015 - 19.56.15.09.mp4 - Google Drive

Its only a few seconds long but does the job. When you said 'problem video' it confused me a little so just to be clear its all video captured with Shadowplay in Win10 (as this one was).

I've also took a look at handbrake and that does allow it to play in PE 12 after but unless I'm missing something all the relevant info stays the same when looking at it in MediaInfo. To be honest I don't know much about codecs and handbrake etc so I am probably missing something in the understanding. 

• 11. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

abdulr

Thanks for the sending of the sample of the problem Shadow Play.mp4. Very interesting results. The following is the Windows 7 64 bit side of things.

You have 1920 x 1080p definitely recorded with a variable frame rate

minimum frame rate = 6.050 frames per second

frame rate = 29.615 frames per second

maximum frame rate = 30.832 frames per second

This is progressive not interlaced video.

I started with 3 files and tested them in Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, 13./13.1, and 14 which are all installed on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

(a) the original.mp4

(b) the original.mov (original.mp4 with just its file extension changed to .mov)

(c) the original.mp4 taken into HandBrake to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate of 29.97 progressive frames per second

I did not involve any issues of audio in or out of sync, my focus was green frames or no green frames

Version 11 - only HandBrake version worked

Version 12 - only HandBrake version worked

Version 13 - all worked

Version 14 - all worked

So conclusion, variable frame rate causing the problem? - But wait - one more test before taking the testing to Premiere Elements on Windows 10 64 bit..

(d) the original.mp4 taken into HandBrake to get the H.264.mo4 with the frame rate left same as source and variable.

Guess what? That worked in 11 and 12. So the variable frame rate perk here can be questioned and the focus put on what is under the Shadow Play codec with MediaInfo identifies as AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264). One way or another HandBrake is giving you a H.264 video that is usable in Premiere Elements 12.

To be continued....on to Windows 10. If you need clarification on what I am finding and writing, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will explain another way.

ATR

• 12. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                                abdulr76739399 Level 1

No worries. That is a lot of investigation. Will be interesting to see what you find on Win10. When I looked in MediaInfo I must have been looking at the wrong thing as I could only see one framerate. Whether we find a way or not to get the clips to work directly in PE thank you for this.

• 13. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

abdulr

The rest of the story - Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 13/13.1 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Same results as when using Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1 and 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit. At the moment I do not have 14 on Windows 10 64 bit.

(a) the original.mp4

(b) the original.mov (original.mp4 with just its file extension changed to .mov)

(c) the original.mp4 taken into HandBrake to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate of 29.97 progressive frames per second

12/12.1 Only HandBrake version worked

13/13.1 All worked

If I used HandBrake

(d) the original.mp4 taken into HandBrake to get the H.264.mo4 with the frame rate left same as source and variable.

that worked in Windows 10 64 bit for Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 13/13.1.

I am not confirming that your difference (worked or did not work) is related to Windows 7 vs 10). But, I am confirming that there is a green frame problem with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 which HandBrake takes care of one way or the other.

Please consider these results and determine which is the easier way for you to go. Right now I would favor the HandBrake conversion to H.264.mp4 with constant framer rate. If you think it is to your advantage to move from 12/12.1 to 14 because of this specific issue, then please go the free tryout route before purchase.

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

abdulr

Just in case note on variable frame rate....this the MediaInfo (Tree View) readout for the sample problem video that you sent.

variable-frame-rate.jpg

I just noticed "How is it that the readout says Standard: PAL instead of Standard: NTSC? " Those look like NTSC frame rate 29.97/30 instead of PAL frame rate 25 frames per second. NTSC and PAL do not have the same significance for HD as for SD. But the frame rates characteristic of NTSC vs PAL are a consideration. May be a non factor here.

ATR

• 15. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                                      abdulr76739399 Level 1

Final update I think. I've installed the trial version of PE14 on my Win10 64bit and this imports the Shadowplay clips properly again.

I may be barking up the wrong tree but from this would I be right in thinking that this points to something in Win10 and PE12 not playing well together? I'm going to have to bite the bullet and either use handbrake or just purchase PE14. I'll try out the trial and then make that decision.

Not really sure how I should mark (or not) this thread but all I can say is many thanks for the effort you put in,  A.T. Romano. It was very much appreciated.

• 16. Re: Solid green screen on import.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

abdulr

Thanks for the update.

As reported above, I  have not seen anything to suggest that there is an operating system influence here with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and your Shadow Play video source. And, the comparison of versions on each of Windows 7 and 10 64 bit that I did was done on the same computer which should take missing codecs out of consideration.

HandBrake does do batch conversions. Now that you have Premiere Elements 14 tryout installed, please give it a workout, especially the new Expert & Share area which is dramatically different than what you are used to in Premiere Elements 12/12.1. All depends on how frequent the use of these Shadow Play files and what is easiest for you to do to manage them. By the way, do not forget the potential for audio out of sync with those file if the frame rate is not changed from variable to constant. Based on the history with that matter, that would be good information to have.

Best wishes moving forward. Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. Very interesting question and results.

ATR