4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2015 10:54 PM by Jellevant

mac PS6 not showing Camera Raw update from 8.3 to 8.8

Jellevant

Just got a Nikon D5500 and downloaded and installed Adobe Camera Raw 8.8 (which seems to be called dng converter) but it is not showing up.  It's supposed to be both the camera raw and the dng converter together.  During installation it said 'erasing old files' or something to that effect, but 8.3 is still showing up in Library/Application Support/plugins... Despite searching 8.8 is not showing up anywhere that I can find despite 'successful' installation.  I hope someone knows how to solve this!  Note: I am a mac PS6 user.  HELP please!

• 1. Re: mac PS6 not showing Camera Raw update from 8.3 to 8.8
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Which version of mac os x are you using?

Adobe hasn't bundled the dng converter and camera raw plugin together for quite some time.

I don't know why adobe doesn't state that clearly, but they don't, which leads to confusion.

So what you downloaded and installed was just the 8.8 dng converter, which is in Applications>Adobe DNG Converter.app

It's a separate application to convert camera raw files to dng copies, which then can be opened in adobe photoshop cs to cc 2015

using the existing camera raw plugin.

For photoshop cs6 go to Help>Updates from within photoshop cs6 to download the camera raw 9.1.1 plugin update.

Then your nikon D5500 files should open directly into photoshop cs6.

If your using mac os x 10.6.8 snow leopard, then unfortunately photoshop cs6 can only be updated to camera raw 8.3

And one can only use up to the 8.3 dng converter as well.

• 2. Re: mac PS6 not showing Camera Raw update from 8.3 to 8.8
            Jellevant Level 1

Thank you so much!  Yes, would have been great if Adobe had explained just a bit.  Spent a couple of hours not getting anywhere this am.  Anyway that worked fine.  I now have acr9.11 and until I get another new camera I should be OK....

BTW, I have Mountain Lion.  I'm thinking about upgrading to El Capitan but don't know if my CS will be happy - I have CS5.5 except for Photoshop which is 6.  I remember when Mavericks came in, there was discussion about photoshop not working right, so I just ignored all the upgrades from then on.  Would you happen to know I'd be safe installing El Capitan?

• 3. Re: mac PS6 not showing Camera Raw update from 8.3 to 8.8
              Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

I'd wait at least until apple issues the first update 10.11.1 for El Capitan. and then peruse the adobe forums and see what if any improvement has been made as far as adobe applications working on El Capitan

There are major issues with some of the cs5/cs5.5 creative suite applications like Ilustrator cs5 on El Capitan, but photoshop cs6 runs okay with a few minor issues.

• 4. Re: mac PS6 not showing Camera Raw update from 8.3 to 8.8
                Jellevant Level 1

Thanks.  I'll do that.