7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2015 5:06 PM by A.T. Romano

Further query about AVCHD

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

Further to the question I asked here yesterday Re: Transferring AVCHD movies to Prem Elements 11 can I just clarify that if I record in AVCHD mode and edit in AVCHD mode in Prem Elements 11, that I need a Blu-Ray player in order to experience the visual/audio benefits of that mode of filming?

If I don't have a Blu-Ray player, which I don't, I can still film and edit in AVCHD but that I need to save the file as an MPEG-2 file and then burn that file to a standard DVD for playing on a standard DVD TV Player?

Thanks again.

Steve

• 1. Re: Further query about AVCHD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve,

Let us say that your set your camera to record AVCHD.mts 1920 x 1080 at 50 progressive frames per second.

And either you or the project set the project settings (project preset) for 1080p50 as we discussed in the other thread.

Now what can you do with that Timeline....

The TV DVD player will playback DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

So, you can set for Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with preset = PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

The product here is 720 x 576 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second, and that 16:9 flag will stretch the video to 1050 x 576 16:9 for display after encoding.

You cannot get a product with properties comparable to your 1080p50 (1920 x 1080) source.

If you are trying to get an end product with a resolution matching your 1080p50 source, there is the Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD on DVD disc. You can use a regular DVD burner for this, but the AVCHD on DVD disc will not playback on a regular DVD player. But here you would get 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second. Finding a player is the consideration for this choice.

There is always the export to file of your 1080p50 Timeline and using a computer player or a TV multimedia that might support its playback when it is transferred from the hard drive save location to a USB Flash Drive or memory card. Please see Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25. And, then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab there, customize the preset so that it is 1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second which is comparable to your original 1080p50 source. The following is a screenshot of how you would set up the Advanced Button/Video Tab for this in Premiere Elements 11

Steve.JPG

Just look at the settings under the Video Tab.

Please consider, and let me know if you want me to clarify any of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Further query about AVCHD
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thanks again.

OK, so I can dismiss the PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD option because it will not stretch to 1920px x 1080px, and I cannot use AVCHD on a standard DVD isc because I would need a Blu-Ray player.

So, following your example, I can do this:

settings.png

Then to Advanced:

export.png

Giving this as the final result:

result.png

And if I click Save there, I am saving it to my hard drive - not a Prem Elements 11 folder ready to be burnt to a DVD. Is that right? How would I then burn that to a DVD (normally, there are two folders, aren't there (VIDEO_TS and one other)?

And even if I could burn it, I couldn't play it on a standard TV DVD player, could I, because it is not in the MPEG-2 format?

Steve

• 3. Re: Further query about AVCHD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve,

Thanks for the reply with details.

1. With regard to customizing your Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p24...

Advanced Button/Video Tab....

Please set Pixel Aspect Ratio to "Square Pixels" instead of what you have set in your screenshot (Widescreen 16:9).

2. The Save In: that you show in your export dialog in the screenshot now has the export of the Timeline going to one .mp4 file in the Documents Folder. Remember OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder only relate to burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and what will be on that disc after the burn to. You are not doing that here. You are exporting your Timeline content to a file that has video compression (AVCHD) and file extension (.mp4).

3. If and when you want to burn your AVCHD.mp4 (1080p50) to a DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, then

a. you would import that AVCHD.mp4 into a Premiere Elements project with the 1080p50 project preset

and

b. use Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD to get your PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen format on DVD disc that you should be able to play on your computer or TV DVD player.

Major thought is that you can import your source and then export in a variety of difference formats that have properties unique to themselves.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. If any clarification needed, do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Further query about AVCHD
                SteveH59 Level 1

I have gone through your steps as above, and changed the Pixel Aspect Ratio to Square Pixels in Export Settings. Yes, under Presets, it is
                showing Copy of MP4-H264 1920x1080p 24_test1, so, yes, it will have a MP4 file extension.

I then gave it a file name of test1AVCHD and saved it to Documents. Then I closed down Prem Elements 11 before reopening it. Under File | New |
                Projects, I gave it a 1080p50 setting (1920 x 1080, 50fps and Square Pixels). I checked the 'Force selected...' box, and imported the MP4 file.

Under Publish+Share, I selected Disc, DVD, Burn to folder. PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD was already in the Presets field and clicked Burn.

Does that sound about right?

• 5. Re: Further query about AVCHD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

That sounds perfect.

It will be interesting to learn how that plays back quality wise on your player.

It is no longer your 1080p50 (1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second). In what we have done, we have converted it to a usable format on DVD disc for playback on DVD player. What you have on the DVD disc is not AVCHD 16:9.mts 1080p50 but now MPEG2.mpg 720 x 576 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second (and will display as 1050 x 576 when the player recognizes the 16:9 flag that comes with it and stretches the video to 1050 x 576 16:9 for display).

The PAL group has an advantage...

PAL Widescreen has the frame size of 720 x 576 and gets stretched to 1050 x 756 for display after encoding

NTSC Widescreen has the frame size of 720 x 480 and gets stretch to 872 x 480 for display after encoding.

Some of the players come with technology that enhances these DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Does you player specification indicate that it might have such technology?

Sounding good. Looking forward to learning of your results to determine if expectations for end product were met.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Further query about AVCHD
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

I am hoping to do a practice run over the weekend with the camera before importing the footage into Prem Elements 11 and trying out the AVCHD settings. I will keep you posted as to the results!

In my folder I can see two other folders, VIDEO_TS and OpenDVD. They look like the traditional MPEG-2 files that I burn to a standard DVD, so I will hopefully replicate that when I do the footage.

What you have on the DVD disc is not AVCHD 16:9.mts 1080p50 but now MPEG2.mpg 720 x 576 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second ).

They sound more like the traditional PAL settings for widescreen. The person I am doing it for has one of those big plasma TV screens, so widescreen should be fine

I am unsure about the player specification because it's not my player. All I know is that it's a Samsung that wasn't cheap!

Many thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Steve

• 7. Re: Further query about AVCHD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Sounding very good.

Please update on the debut of your video presentations when you get the time.

Best wishes

ATR