3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 6:58 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I copy a clip from one project to another?

jphamilton1000 Level 1

How do I copy a clip from one project to another?   I am looking to create a "highlights" family video by copying and pasting previously edited clips from multiple projects into one new project.  I am using Premiere Elements 13 on Mac OS 10.10.5.   Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I copy a clip from one project to another?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jpphamilton1000

If you were using a Windows computer, you might explore ClipMate for the copy/paste insert between projects. But you are not.

Consequently consider exporting your Timeline content selectively to a file saved to the computer, keeping the project settings and export settings consistent.

For the selective export approach, there are two must does...

1. Set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span the segment to be exported

and

2. Make sure to enable the Share Work Area Bar Only option in the export settings.

The following are screenshots from Premiere Elements 10 Windows that I had on hand. Nonetheless, they will give you an idea what I am pointing out in the features mentioned.

selective-export-1.jpg

Selective-Export-2.jpg

A few years back I recall someone claiming to have found a Mac alternative for Windows Only ClipMate. But I have not heard about that since.

If you can get yourself to Windows,

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I copy a clip from one project to another?
            jphamilton1000 Level 1

Thank you for your reply A.T.    Are you saying that I would have to export the work bar area to a separate file and then look to import that into another project?    If so, that's not realistic, because the export time is so long.  I have about 20 projects, with 2-4 clips per project that I want to copy and paste to a separate new "highlights" project.  Exporting 60-80 clips would take prohibitively long when really I just want to copy what's already been edited.   Please let me know if I've misunderstood, or if there are any other alternatives you can think of.

Thanks -
            Jim. 

• 3. Re: How do I copy a clip from one project to another?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jphamilton1000

Thanks for the reply.

The only way out for Timeline content from its project file selectively or otherwise is through export. I do not know of a copy/paste insert program for Mac like the Windows Only ClipMate which involves the copy/paste insert between Premiere Elements projects.

I think that you understood what I described, but I will go over it just to make sure. For each of your 20 projects, you would need to export the wanted Timeline content selectively as I have already described. If you have 20 projects and each has a max of 4 clips that you want to pool into one project, what is the total duration of the 4 clips? And, would you need to do 4 separate exports from the same one project or 1 export of the 4 together? In Windows, typically the individual files would be Lagarith.avi. Since Mac does not have an .avi export, you would probably be looking a .H.264.mov or H.264.mp4 export in each case.

Have you given any thought to doing all in one project using the content's Premiere Elements Preview Window's trims saved to the Timeline and/or stored in project media as source media for the project (could be put into folders in that area). Please review the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

What is your estimated export time for each of the clips if you did have to export files from each of the 20 projects?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR