14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 8:25 AM by A.T. Romano

I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.

fburton22

I have created a 31 minute video project using HDV video and high resolution stills.  The project written to Blu-ray disc is perfect.  When I write the same project to DVD, the picture exhibits "jaggies".  In the old days this could be remedied, in some cases, by changing the field order.  That option is greyed out on this project.  How might I get a better DVD product?

• 1. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fburton22

What version of Premiere Elements, and what computer operating system? For now, I am assuming that you are in a NTSC setup.

When you talk about "jaggies" are you referring to issues typically associated with interlaced video?

There would appear to be a problem before the burn to DVD if you have a grayed out Field Options/ when you right click the HDV file on the Timeline in the Edit area.

If you are starting with HDV source (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second) MPEG2.mpg, what is your project preset?

An alternative for Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance at the Timeline level is setting the project preset for

NTSC

Flash Memory Camcorders

HD 1080i30

But that would mean starting a new project if you had wanted to keep using the project that generated your Blu-ray.

Let us see if we can get at why the grayed out Field Option.

Also make sure that your project and export settings are consistent - NTSC source, NTSC project, NTSC export.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Please review, consider, and supply information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
            fburton22 Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 12 on a Windows 10 machine with an Intel i7-3930 6 core CPU, 32 GB of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 video card.

The program selected the presets without my intervention:  Capture format is HDV.  Editing mode is HD 1080i, 29.97 fps, frame size 1920 x 1080, Square pixels, upper field first, Display format 30fps drop-frame timecode.  The clips are from a Sony HDR-CX580 (both video and stills), as well as some still pictures from an iPhone 6.  The video rendering settings have Maximum Bit Depth checked and Optimize Stills checked, file format is I-Frame only MPEG amd Compressor is MPEG I-Frame.  Most of these settings are greyed out and cannot be changed.

NTSC was selected in all cases.

• 3. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

fburton22

Thanks for the reply.

You are not recording HDV data or video. And, you are using progressive not interlaced video.

Based on your camera specifications, you are probably recording 1920 x 1080p60 or 1920 x 1080p24. If that is the case, your Editing Mode detail in Project Settings is telling us that you do not have the correct project preset.

For 1920 x 1080p60

See

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD HD 1080p60

For 1920 x 1080p24

See

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

If the project does not set the project preset correctly, then you start a new project, and set the project preset correctly using the route File Menu/New/Project before importing the source video.

Please let us factor in or out the above in this matter, and then we will decide what next. Any questions about the questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Then we can more on, if necessary, as to the pixel dimensions of the photos and how many of them are there. But, under the circumstances, my first impression is that your situation revolves around source scan type of project settings.

ATR

• 4. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                fburton22 Level 1

Without re-doing the whole project (which I have neither the time or the inclination to do!), is there no way to mass import the clips from the existing timeline to a new project's timeline with the settings you suggest?  Otherwise, I will just have to keep this in mind for the next project.  Why would the program select the wrong settings, when the first clip imported to the timeline was a video clip from the aforementioned camera?

• 5. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                  fburton22 Level 1

By the way, I checked the camera's settings and they were set to HD 60i.

• 6. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

fburton22

Thanks for the reply. The project sets the project preset automatically based on its analysis of the properties of the first file dragged to its Timeline. If it cannot do the analysis, it does not give you the closest fit. Rather is defaults to its default of 1080i (NTSC or PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or 25).

With your further delays...if your camera is recording 1080 60i, then you are OK with the project preset which is representing in the Property Settings Editing Mode of 1080i. That 60i is 60 fields per second which has the counterpart of 29.97/30 frames per second. So, in this case the 1080i30 project preset is appropriate as well as being the default project preset. But, remember that your source is 1080i with scan order upper field first, not the lower field first of the DVD-VIDEO preset.

a. If you did not want to reverse field dominance via opening a new project to set for the Hard Drive Flash Memory Camcorder project preset, then

b. we need to use the Field Order/Reverse Field Dominance at the Timeline level....if you cannot do that, we need to find out why not....have you tried that again on the selected Timeline file?

Please consider. If you are sure you are recording 60i and not 60p, then that is good information to have.

ATR

• 7. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                      fburton22 Level 1

I am able to reverse field dominance at the timeline level.  I assume it needs to be done for every clip whether it be video or still.

• 8. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

fburton22

If you have interlaced video clip, it will have scan order Upper Field First or Lowe Field First. In that situation, reversal of the fields is possible

But, photos from the camera have no fields. I would just do the reverse field dominance to the interlaced video imports.

Do you see the "jaggies" in any portion of the Timeline before export or to the export that is derived from photos?

When I have applied Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance to a Timeline interlaced video, I find that it is a one at a time operation. I cannot take

advantage of

a. Selecting all the videos at one time, right clicking in the selection, and using Field Option/Reverse Field Dominance to get more than one done at a time

and I cannot use

b. Apply Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance to one file and then copy/paste effects and adjustments from that to the other to the others.

What you might want to compare is Field Options/ Always Deinterlace if Reverse Field Dominance does not resolve the issue.

Please let us know the outcome. I have another idea if none of the above works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                          fburton22 Level 1

I reversed the field dominance of the clips in the first 10 minutes of my project and, after writing another DVD, saw no improvement.  The picture may have been worse, but I have not had time to do a side by side comparison.  I will try the Always Deinterlace option tomorrow.  I have other obligations I must attend to tonight.

• 10. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

fburton11

Thanks for the update.

After you try the always deinterlace and depending on the results, I will give you the details of what else I had in mind to improve the outcome.

Until your schedule permits.

ATR

• 11. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                              fburton22 Level 1

I tried the "always deinterlace" setting this morning.  No change in the result.

• 12. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

fburton22

Thanks for the follow up.

Please explore...

1. Given you have a 1080i30 project for your 1080 60i source (aka 1080i30)

2. Export that Timeline content to a AVCHD.mp4 file saved to the computer hard drive. For this purpose, please use

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

3. Open a new project and set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

Then import your AVCHD.mp4 (1080p30) file.

To manually set the project preset, please use the following instructions

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                                • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the above setting. OK out of there.
                                • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                                • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

4. Then, when ready,

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Are the jaggies gone in the playback of the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc?

If not, could you post a screenshot of the jaggies?

ATR

• 13. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                                  fburton22 Level 1

I have manipulated the project as you suggested in your last post.   The playback results are now acceptable, although the diagonal lines still show some jagginess. 

Thank you for your time and effort.

Fred B.

• 14. Re: I am getting "jaggies" in the picture when writing a DVD from a high-definition source project.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Fred B

Thanks for the update. Good news that the troubleshooting suggestion gave you acceptable results. Well done on follow through to gain your successes.

I am still curious about those lines with some jagginess. If you want to pursue this (and as your schedule permits), could you post a screenshot of that remaining jagginess?

Best wishes moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR