32 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2007 10:27 AM by Sami@Adobe

I'd like ...

dagarrat
      1) a reset button that zeroes all data, per color and/or per theme

2) extravaganza_'s suggestion of an 'e-mail this theme' button that sends a PDF and/or a link to the theme on kuler

3) a profile system that facilitates communication with other users who create themes and leave comments

4) to see the average rating simultaneously with my personal rating

5) integration with Firefox and its Colorzilla extension or another color picker solution

6) to be Adobe's Official Theme Maker! I can dream, right! *LOL!*
        • 1. Re: I'd like ...
          Peter_Breis
          May I add an overview index page to see many more swatches at once and be able to sort them by type.
          • 2. Re: I'd like ...
            str3ss
            dagarrat :: great suggestions. here's some additions to the wishlist...

1) Duplicate button in My Kuler

2) Force theme naming to prevent themes being named "My New Theme"

3) Show related themes on theme selection

4) Favorites List

5) Avatar/Icon Modification

6) Automatic pallet function á la Josh Davis Kaleidoscope

7)" Live" connection to Adobe CS Products

8) Desktop based App

9) Pantone (I know, I know) support?

Thanks adobe! This is a great tool!
            • 3. I'd like ...
              dagarrat Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: str3ss

1) Duplicate button in My Kuler

When you edit an existing theme, you are essentially duplicating that theme. Right now it's a little wonky; I think I deleted a theme accidentally when I only wanted to edit it.

quote:

2) Force theme naming to prevent themes being named "My New Theme"

Agreed! I mean, really ...

quote:

3) Show related themes on theme selection

4) Favorites List

5) Avatar/Icon Modification

Again, yes. At the very least, inform people of the AI behind choosing one.

quote:

6) Automatic pallet function á la Josh Davis Kaleidoscope

Honestly, I find that automatic palette grabbers that create themes out of uploaded pictures only work well with some pictures. Having eyedropper functionality would be better.

quote:

8) Desktop based App

9) Pantone (I know, I know) support?

Thanks adobe! This is a great tool!

I'd also like to add:

7) More comments functions. Lists of both recent comments I've made and recent comments made on my themes would be nice. Also, I'd like to be able to edit my comments and delete unwanted comments from my themes. Maybe even a little checkbox that disallows commenting on my theme. And I'd like to know who leaves comments on my themes. The avatar is not recognizable enough. Maybe you could mouseover the avatar and the commenter's name could popup linked to his/her profile?

8) Allow tag suggestions for others' themes. You could show them alongside the original tags, just in a different color. And theme creator could always elect to either incorporate suggested tags or delete unwanted ones (or to let them stay suggested). This could be a great way to get lots more tags.

9) Logins that are browser-specific. How can I login to kuler using one browser (say Firefox) and launch kuler in another browser - and be logged in automatically in the latter browser without ever having logged in using that browser? How is kuler storing my login info on my computer?
              • 4. Re: I'd like ...
                rorywallwork
                I think kuler is a great idea, and the above are all great suggestions. I would only like to add two things to the I'd Like list:

1) Be able to change the background color of the whole page. We all know how one color looks on black and then how different it can look on, say, white, not to mention entire combinations of colors.

2) I found it kind of difficult to manipulate the color sliders in custom mode. They were just hard "grab."

Other than those two things, I think it's great!!
                • 6. Re: I'd like ...
                  Peter_Breis Level 1
                  I'm print oriented. I'd like for the .ase file to store the cmyk information. The conversion in applications from RGB to cmyk is so way off.

Again I query the use of .ase files.

1. They are so cumbersome to import

2. They contain no preview or any visual hint of what they actually contain, like all Adobe presets

3. They appear to be encrypted for no sensible reason. (Other than to lock out non-Adobe products?)

4. There is no labeling of the color mode they represent

Adobe seems to become ever more lost with its GUI, patching the patches. Just as Microsoft does with its software.

An example of this is the unpredictability of drag and drop and silly things like a saved Illustrator swatch is different from a Photoshop swatch and can have the same name and file extension as the Illustrator file it comes from (.ai) whilst containing no visible objects.

I accidentally overwrote one of my files when I saved its colorswatch file over it, thinking I was overwriting a previously saved swatch.
                  • 7. I'd like ...
                    Peter_Breis Level 1
                    Come to think of it, I am better off with a color bar of the 5 kuler colors as a .png file.

It is more portable, compact, it contains a preview, can be viewed in Finder and Windows XP Explorer and is drag and droppable and sampleable just about everywhere (except with some Adobe products like Illustrator).

And is much faster to get in and out of Adobe's software than the cumbersome circuitous method Adobe chooses for its .ase files.

Or even better would be .svg if it were better supported by Adobe (currently PhotoShop doesn't handle it).
                    • 8. Re: I'd like ...
                      CShockr Level 1
                      Please put in a way to simulate the major color blindness shifts in color...with 508 compliance becoming all the rage after the Target suit, I feel the need!!! Bob Stine at Visibone has a good start on this...
                      • 9. Re: I'd like ...
                        Sami@Adobe Adobe Employee
                        Hi folks,

Lots of good ideas here. Please keep them coming. We are keeping tabs on these suggestions, as well as the others already on the Wish List. kuler 1.0 is just the start.

str3ss: If you are signed in, you can save Favorites by dragging and dropping the themes into the tray area at the bottom of kuler (if you are not sure where it is, mouse over the bottom and you should get a tool tip).

Sami
                        • 10. Re: I'd like ...
                          str3ss Level 1
                          HI Sami ::

Thanks for the tip!

@ Peter Breis... I've been busy playing with these in Photoshop, and didn't even notice that the ASE files don't retain CMYK info. That's a major breaking point for use in InDesign. :-(
                          • 11. Re: I'd like ...
                            thuy.copeland Level 2
                            quote:

Originally posted by: str3ss

8) Desktop based App

Yes, Please. That way I can circumvent the slooooow crawl on the internet.
                            • 12. Re: I'd like ...
                              lattaway
                              I really like the "reset" button idea. Also like the ability to "go back" I lose all history when in kuler "creating" (back button grayed out in browser-firefox). The ability to "freeze" certain colors while fiddling with others would be nice as well. I so often mess up a color I liked trying to change another.
                              • 13. I'd like ...
                                Peter_Breis Level 1
                                str3ss: It isn't that .ase files can't contain cmyk information, it's that these kuler exported .ase files don't.

As I pointed out it is a long circuitious route exporting and importing the files with no clues as to what they contain, either color mode or actual colors.

Good design lets you browse choices and preview them before selecting and importing. Which should be done in a quick direct manner, not handled like crude programmer's resources requiring an undocumented "installation" in specific directories.
                                • 14. Re: I'd like ...
                                  yoda202
                                  lattaway if you create your theme then switch to custom mode it allows you to click on a color square to isolate it. So this way you can change it without screwing up the others :-} I know this works when you're choosing from the color wheel...
                                  • 15. Re: I'd like ...
                                    nameless_user
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: roreo2
                                    I think kuler is a great idea, and the above are all great suggestions. I would only like to add two things to the I'd Like list:

1) Be able to change the background color of the whole page. We all know how one color looks on black and then how different it can look on, say, white, not to mention entire combinations of colors.

2) I found it kind of difficult to manipulate the color sliders in custom mode. They were just hard "grab."

Other than those two things, I think it's great!!

• 16. Re: I'd like ...
                                      nameless_user Level 1
                                      I think a great addition to this inspiring tool would be to make the data fields,on the create page so that a user could use the arrows (up or down) to change color values,at a minimal numerical value .
                                      • 17. Re: I'd like ...
                                        sean_elt
                                        What about some selectable 'target' examples - like a sample website, a photo of an office interior, a photo of a wedding party, etc. - that could display the different colors in real-world examples as you change them? Or am I just missing the whole point of this app?
                                        • 18. Re: I'd like ...
                                          Firewuff
                                          1) As a stand alone applet to be able to use the EXCELENT tool on non-net connected machines.... possible as part of bridge services or as a common plugin for illustrator/ PS/AE/Flash etc. given it's applicability within almost all adobe apps. It also would mean we KNOW the colour managment is right and not up to my web browser.

2) The ability to use existing swatches as a base for new colour selections, ie upload and open a single colour swatches from illustrator and create a a theme based on that

3) An undo button to go back to the last selection of colours
                                          • 19. Re: I'd like ...
                                            Firewuff Level 1
                                            Also possibly the ability to promote one of the other pallet colour to the base colour
                                            • 20. Re: I'd like ...
                                              Hi Firewuff,
                                              You can change the base color by double-clicking on the swatch you want to select.
                                              Sami
                                              • 21. Re: I'd like ...
                                                ASM web Level 1
                                                I had a lot of fun playing with this:

I'd like to have the ability for each swatch to show what text in the other colors would look like on top of it - a la Visibone. And I second the idea of being able to change the background color.
                                                • 22. Re: I'd like ...
                                                  Shut Theory
                                                  Search! it is completely crippled. I wish there is a way to enhance it because when I go in to find a theme, I start by searching... tagging has worked before for other sites, it would be plain success if it was added to kuler, and it would help enhance the search capability.
                                                  • 23. Re: I'd like ...
                                                    knoedl
                                                    It would be nice to be able to comment other's theme's but the rest for me is as fine as it is ;)

Good work to the adobe labs team.
                                                    • 24. I'd like ...
                                                      sammy179
                                                      kuler is awesome. How can something so simple be so much fun? I feel like a 4-year-old playing with a cardboard box, and not the toy that came in it.

1. I'd like to be able to "save" new rules. The built-in rules are great (Triad, Complementary, etc.) but it would be even better to save the ones I make myself in Custom. This can be approximated by just saving a color made with the custom rule, but...

2. A search-by-color function. I pick one (or two?) colors, and kuler finds me saved swatches containing that color (or within some tolerance level). Would be super-handy, spurring outside-the-box ideas when a project comes with certain color variables fixed. You can paint the walls, but the green leather couch isn't going anywhere. Or when putting together a photo album, the color theme for a page is usually constrained by one or two colors in the pictures.

3. It almost goes without saying: I hope that this awesome tool gets integrated into Adobe's desktop applications, i.e., in CS3.
                                                      • 25. I'd like ...
                                                        Hello,
                                                        That kid-with-a-cardboard-box image is really wonderful, thanks for posting that. I'll share it with the team.

We appreciate all your suggestions and will consider them for future releases. :-)

For Shut Theory: It's not intuitive, but try searching after you are signed in. [This was a bug that we have fixed since!] You should get better results. If this is not the problem, can you provide more details on what you are experiencing? Thanks!

Sami
                                                        • 26. Re: I'd like ...
                                                          Level 7
                                                          Hello,
                                                          That kid-with-a-cardboard-box image is really wonderful, thanks for posting
                                                          that. I'll share it with the team.

We appreciate all your suggestions and will consider them for future releases.
                                                          :-)

For Shut Theory: It's not intuitive, but try searching after you are signed
                                                          in. You should get better results. If this is not the problem, can you provide
                                                          more details on what you are experiencing? Thanks!

Sami

• 27. Re: I'd like ...
                                                            AlanGilbertson Level 1
                                                            I would really appreciate a way to set tones (add black) as well as tints (add white) in selecting the base color. You can get there (sort of) by selecting one of the offered swatches as a new base color, but that's a bit hit-and-miss.

Integration with the applications, whether via Bridge or especially from inside the individual apps, would be a big enhancement. One of the obvious uses of kuler is to pick a color from an existing graphic (such as a client logo) or photographic image as the base color. In fact, that might be the most common use except when starting completely from scratch. This is really hard to do in the current setup.

On my high-resolution monitor the various pickers and sliders are really quite small and hard to work with. A loupe or magnifier function would be a blessing.
                                                            • 28. Re: I'd like ...
                                                              Hi there!
                                                              Thanks for the post. kuler currently has some ability to add black and white:

To add black to a color
                                                              * move the slider under the wheel to the left (this is a brightness slider)
                                                              * or move the Brightness slider to the left (in HSB)

To add white to a color
                                                              * move the Saturation slider left (in HSB)

The other suggestions are good ones. I'm curious how you are using kuler now--for work, for fun, both?

Sami
                                                              • 29. Re: I'd like ...
                                                                aspE
                                                                Kuler is awesome! and one thing I'd like to be able to do is freeze one or more colors in the palette, and then be able to move the others around with the same related position towards the rest of the (not freezed) colors. As it is now its possible to change it to Custom, but that will just change one color at the time.
                                                                • 30. Re: I'd like ...
                                                                  {dalej_design}
                                                                  I'd like ...

for it to finnaly work for me and the others who also have the "black screen" problem :(
                                                                  • 31. Re: I'd like ...
                                                                    sulligraph
                                                                    I would like to be able to change the background to white and neutral gray... some kind of control panel of preferences. I like how the colors "pop" off of the black, but will almost always be using the colors with a white background.
                                                                    • 32. Re: I'd like ...
                                                                      Hi,
                                                                      Thanks for the suggestion. I'd love to know what kind of projects you are using kuler for.
                                                                      Sami