3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 3:51 PM by A.T. Romano

When exporting AVCHD I lose lots of quality.

andrewl67008642

A very simple test. Two clips. One is taken directly from the video camera and the other clip is exactly the same clip imported and exported from Adobe Premium Elements 13. As can be seen from the table below APE generated file is almost 3 times the size of the original file.

Export settings were: M2T – H264 1920x1080i 25

Video camera used: Panasonic HC-V550. AVCHD shooting.

Original clip (Lovisa on the beach)

APE generated film

Source

Taken directly from video camera; Panasonic HC-V550

Same clip exported from APE v13

Quality

Looks ok

1. Bad. Choppy, the film doesn’t follow the movements

File type

AVCHD (.m2ts)

AVCHD (.m2t)

Size

16,8 MB

44,8 MB

Dataspeed och bitrate

12 Mb/s

31 Mb/s

Frames

25 frames/sek

25 frames/sek

See investigation, before and after clips in Dropbox folder https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7soxm6am4uo3cuo/AACNIJ0YKbw9WW0SPtWnAECfa?dl=0

• 1. Re: When exporting AVCHD I lose lots of quality.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

andrewl

At this point, I have downloaded and tested the sample that you sent from the Panasonic HC-V550.

What you sent appears to be an AVCHD.m2ts 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second, scan order Upper Field First.

It has a file size of about 16.9 MB and uses a variable bitrate (11.6 Mbps with max 16.8 Mbps).

The Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project preset is

PAL

AVCHD

Full 1080i25

The video imports well into the project and plays back in the Edit area monitor without issues.

If I select the export

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MTS H.264 1920 x 1080i25

the export of that plays back excellently without issue in the Windows Media Player 12 player of Windows 7 64 bit.

The matter of the file size of your video before and after export is evident just by looking at the bitrates involved.

Compare the before about 12 Mbps and after due to the export preset setting 29.2 Mbps with max 30 Mbps.

Increased Bitrate, increased file size.

In the Premiere Elements export settings you can adjust the bitrate under the Advanced Button/Video Tab to find a compromise between smaller file size and quality. I see no problems with the video, but you could look at an export

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25.

with the same bitrate considerations.

Please review and consider and supply more details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: When exporting AVCHD I lose lots of quality.
            andrewl67008642 Level 1

Thanks A.T.,

What you are saying is that you did exactly as I did but got a video that played back excellently while mine lost lots of quality. Please have a look at the file “Export M2T-H264 1920x1080i25.m2ts” in the DropBox folder. I did exactly as you said for AVCHD

Then I did follow one of your suggestions and Exported the same video in mp4 format. I fiddled in the Advanced settings and pulled down the bitrates to about the same as in the original file. And yes, the quality was vastly improved. See the file “Export MP4 H.264 1920x1080p25 Low bitrate.mp4”

Now a number of questions arise:

1. I shot the video in AVCHD format. Shouldn’t I get the best final quality if I export in AVCHD format? I want to show the video on a PAL TV
            2. Is there any sense in having higher bitrate in the export then in the original video?
            3. What would be the optimal settings for me? Please mention Preset settings as well as Advanced settings.
            4. If you say that I should export in MP4 should I shoot future videos in MP4? I thought AVCHD would show up better on a TV

Appreciate you continued support. I feel we got a bit on the right way already.

BR Andrew

• 3. Re: When exporting AVCHD I lose lots of quality.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

BR Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to look at your issue initially from the point of view of the original so that we could discuss why the difference in file size as represented in your thread introductory description. From what you wrote we are agreed on why the larger file size with the use of the higher bitrate.

(1) Important to mention....AVCHD which is represented as MPEG4 AVC/H.264 is a type of video compression. The file extension of a file that uses AVCHD video compression represents the container/wrapper format for the video and audio compressions used in the file. That container can be .mp4 and .mts and other. Many camera manufacturers offer "AVCHD" and "MP4" settings. From what they write in their specifications, both the choices uses the MPEG4 AVC/H.264 video compression but differ in file extension (.mts vs .mp4 containers) and the audio format that goes with it. AVCHD with the .mts wrapper is seen with the Dolby Digital audio, whereas MP4 is described as the MPEG4 AVC/H.264 video compression and .mp4 file extension seen with AAC audio.

Bottom line: I read those two offerings as both AVCHD compression, "AVCHD" giving a file AVCHD.mts and "MP4" a file AVCHD.mp4. These container formats can influence the properties of the file.

2. One bitrate does not fit all. For each of your videos, you need to determine the bitrate beyond which you do not see any advances in quality. It is a trade off between bitrate level, quality, and file size. Your export bitrate generally should be as high as the original. But, the export will have the bitrate set in the export settings unless you adjust it. If you are concerned about file size, then you determine how much you can decrease or increase the original bitrate in the export setting to maintain quality and the wanted file size.

3. Please give me more information on this...are you going with interlaced source for TV that uses interlaced scanning? I will be as specific as I can, but the bitrate set in export is going to take exploration and experimentation on your side. Guideline...start with bitrate equal to original and determine how much you can increase or decrease it to maintain the file size and quality required. Also, please indicate the player and how your video will be presented to it...video on disc as DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, or a TV supported file format on USB flash drive, memory card. See TV user manual for those details.

4. What is your TV's scanning preference - progressive or interlaced? If progressive, I would suggest that you consider recording video with progressive rather than interlaced frame rates to avoid interlacing issue. If you give the TV interlaced video typically it is deinterlaced by the TV and you are dependent on that process. But, what do your PAL TV specifications prefer? Please refer to a sampling of online articles on progressive and interlaced scanning. Information about interlaced and progressive scan signals

Please consider and then we can discuss the details further.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR