4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2006 7:10 PM by Mike_Randall

Porting X5 to R9 and conditional tags

Mike_Randall
      Hello,

I am trying to port conditional tag information from RoboHelp X5 to R9. I can already port RoboHelp X5 content to R9. However, with our current process the conditional tag information is not ported. After I have ported the content and I run the report tool, no tag information is displayed. I made sure that I selected conditional tags in the topic properties, options section.

Does anyone know if there is a specific RoboHelp X5 file that contains this information? Can I copy that file over somehow so that when I run the report tool in R9 it will show each topic and the tags that are applied to it?

Currently the way we port is by creating a new project in R9 and then copying the files .hhk and hhc from the X5 project into the new directory. I'm going to test and see if by copying the rhbuildtag.apj file into the new project if that will reestablish the build tag information in the reports section.

Thanks,
      Michael Randall
        • 1. Re: Porting X5 to R9 and conditional tags
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Welcome to the forum.

What is R9? Do you mean Version 9.1?

In X5 the tags are defined in rhbuildtag.apj but the structure of an X5 project is very different to 9.1.

It might be as simple as simply adding build tags with exactly the same name and then the topics will recognise them.

If that's not it, then please clarify.

• 2. Re: Porting X5 to R9 and conditional tags
            Mike_Randall Level 1
            Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick response. I was talking about RoboHelp 9.2 when I mentioned R9. I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. After I recreated the same build tags RoboHelp did not automatically register the tags to the topics.

After I created the tags, I saved the project, closed it, and then reopened it in hopes that that might trigger it.
            I then tried to generate a report hoping maybe that would work, but still no luck.

I'm wondering how the tags stay assigned to the topics after they are applied. I don't see a special file that links them per topic.

Any other ideas?

btw, I've seen and used your web site. It was very helpful when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the baggage file features in X5

Thanks,
            Michael Randall
            • 3. Re: Porting X5 to R9 and conditional tags
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
              When you tag a topic or some content, code is added to theHTML and that is what stores the tag name. Often just recreating a tag with exactly the same name restores the relationship. An example is

<p>This is <span style="x-condition: Print;">some sample text</span>.</p>

I am curious as to why you are porting from X5 to 9.2 which is much older version.

• 4. Re: Porting X5 to R9 and conditional tags
                Mike_Randall Level 1
                Hi Peter,

I will take a look at the code in the 9.2 version and see if it is the same, maybe the reference to the source of the tags is somehow different between X5 and 9.2.

I work for a company in china and they have to localize the online help. I think only RoboHelp 9.2 and 3.x have support for double byte characters. This situation adds complications to the localization process if you are localizing for certain languages.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks,
                Michael Randall