Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting Default Viewer as Adobe does not work

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using SCCM to deploy adobe reader with update 12 to my clients. I used the instructions from here Deploy Adobe Reader 11.0.4 with ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 | System Center ConfigMgr but even after created the custom MST file, Adobe still is prompting to be the default viewer. This is for Windows 10. Is there an updated customization wizard that I need? I have even tried using the command msiexec /i AcroRead.msi /qn IW_DEFAULT_VERB=Read and it still does not make Adobe the default viewer. Has anyone else experienced this? TIA

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is a company and the product names in your case are Reader and Acrobat. Q's:

• Is Acrobat on the machine?
  • Is Reader already on the machine?
  • What is the default viewer prior to your latest install (confirm Reader 11.0.4 was the first install and Acrobat is not on the machine).

Start with the Adobe doc: Adobe Properties — Enterprise Administration Guide

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

No this is a fresh windows 10 installation without any prior reader installed. So the reader is not already installed before it is deployed to the machine. So there is no prior installation what so ever. I am unable to view a pdf until reader is install via SCCM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you don't need to use any property to make Reader the default PDF viewer. Reader should take ownership of that MIME type automatically.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is I have installed it many different ways about 5 times now and it is not set to be the default reader by default. It does open PDF's in the web browser just fine. But I am trying to prevent the pop up from happening to make adobe the default viewer. I saw your message thank you but not sure if that will correct this issue or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have not Reader or Acrobat on the machine and your install Reader for the first time, then you shouldn't need to do anything and that dialog should not appear.

If you have installed in various ways using properties you didn't need to then the machine might not be a clean environment anymore. Uninstall and use the AcroCleaner on LABs to clean the machine.

Then start over with the Adobe docs. The 3rd party doc uses AIPs, but bootstrapper is easier in the long run.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines