12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 4:20 PM by A.T. Romano

.mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement

scottb44251384

Bought PE13 yesterday to start editing videos from DJI Phantom 3 Pro Quad.  When I view the original video through Quick Time Player, it is smooth, crisp and will only need a slight contrast correction.  I only want to keep the first 23 seconds of a 2 minute video.  When I play the video in PE13, it is start-stop, jerky.  The clipping seems straight forward, got rid of the last portion, but the remain portion is still start-stop, jerky.  Not sure how to save this clip still in a .mov format.

• 1. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
          A.T. Romano Level 7

scottb

Is your video being recorded with a variable rather than a constant frame rate?

If you do not know, please download and install the free MediaInfo video audio properties read out program to determine if your video has 3 or 1 frame rate listed.

MediaInfo download | SourceForge.net

Use care in your downloading and installing choices for this program since it is known to travel with unwanted baggage.

If it has 3 frames rates in the Tree View, then your video was recorded with a variable frame rate with which Premiere Elements does not do well.

The typical solution is to take your video into the free HandBrake https://handbrake.fr/ to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version that you import into the Premiere Elements project (Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets)

Let us start here, and then decide troubleshooting strategy based on the details in your reply.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
            scottb44251384 Level 1

Thank You for your response:

I did not download the program.  I believe I am correct with this:  1920 X 1080, 30 fps, 60 shutter speed.  Never heard anyone discuss on the quad site about variable frame rates, it's always about either 24, 30, 60 fps with double the shutter speed on each.  These are preflight selections of a specific choice.  I don't understand the following, but that .mov & mp4 are just wrappers for H.264 and this quad is in line with this requirement.  I apologize for a lack of knowledge, but that's why I'm having trouble.  Thank You for any help.  Someone elsewhere said that I should "render" this video first so that PE13 understands what I have imported, but I don't even know how to perform this function.

• 3. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
              A.T. Romano Level 7

scott

Thanks for the follow up.

About rendering....

About rendering the imported video on the Timeline....Timeline rendering is for getting the best possible preview in the Edit area. It is not going to fix any issue, but rather just display the video at its best. The program will not prevent you from moving forward to editing and exporting if you do not do it. But, it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. It is especially helpful in gauging titles, effects, transitions, and non native formats.

The program uses a color line render indicator above the Timeline content. If your Timeline content has an orange line over it, that means you are not seeing the best possible preview of that clip in the Edit area monitor playback. No colored line or green line over the Timeline content means that you have the best possible preview, and Timeline rendering is not needed nor available. As indicated, you do the Timeline render in any of the following ways

a. Timeline Menu/Render Work Area

b. Press Enter key of computer main keyboard

c. Press Render button above Timeline

If you (manually) or the project (automatically) have set the correct project preset, the video that you import and drag to the Timeline should have no colored line over it. That means you are looking at the best possible preview. If you have an orange line instead at that time, your project preset is wrong and/or the project is not able to analyze the video to set the project preset automatically.

Every time you edit a video that has been rendered, it will need rendering again according to the color line indicator system....so you go from green (rendered) to orange (need rendering) to green (rendered again).

About your video....

Try to determine its properties...so far you have told us that it is 1920 x 1080 @ 30 frames per second. Can you tell us if it is 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second or 30 progressive frames per second. If it turns out that the project cannot set the project settings correctly, we can set the project settings before video import, using File Menu/New/Project. More details to come.

But, very important

1. Get the Timeline rendering done if applicable

2. Find out how many frame rates your video has (MediaInfo is the only place to find that out)

a. just the 29.97/30 frames per second

or

b. minimum frame rate, frame rate (the one you are seeing in the specs, and maximum frame rate.

We will be watching for your results as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
                scottb44251384 Level 1

I was not correct about 30 fps.....this is from Quick Time Player:  59 frames/sec., bitrate is 40158 Kbps, tags are v01.23.3419, comments are 0.9.138M

What ever I did for rendering....DID NOTHING.  No color line anywhere.

• 5. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

scottb

Thanks for the reply with updated troubleshooting information.

Let us start at the beginning and go through the following check list with the updated information.....

1. If you have 1920 x 1080 @ 59 progressive frames per second, your project preset should be

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

and if you inspect Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, you should see

Project69.JPG

2. When you import that video into the project as the first file dragged to the Expert workspace Timeline, you should get no colored line over that content.

Please see the following screenshot to make sure we are talking about the same render color indicator line

Render11.JPG

This is frame Premiere Elements 11, but same principle as in 13/13.1.

Let us first determine if you are together on the above, that is, you have your video on the Timeline as the best possible preview.

Best possible, when first imported = no colored line. After editing of that video, the line turns orange and = needs Timeline rendering.

You Timeline render and the line turns green which = best possible preview.

If the above understanding and actions resolve the matter, great.

2. But, if it is as I suspect and your camera recorded with a variable rather than a constant frame rate, then we need to give a seriously look at taking the video into HandBrake to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version to import into Premiere Elements.

We will be watching for your results as your schedule permits.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
                    scottb44251384 Level 1

The original .mov file from the DJI Phantom 3 Pro was 603 MB, it was the smoothest, crisp, steady clip to watch via Quick Time Player and be proud of.  As stated, upon importing to APE13, it was start-stop, jerky AND I never saw any colored line above this first and only item on the timeline suggesting it needed any PRE-RENDERING.  The first file put on the timeline creates the project settings found under the edit menu/project settings/general and matched my imported video.  I have now downloaded "handbreak" to reprocess the original file into an MP4 reducing the file size to 166 MB.  It TOO is the smoothest, crisp, steady clip to watch via Quick Time Player and be proud of.  I have again taken this MP4 file, imported it into APE13 as the first and only file, placed it first on the timeline, verified that the edit menu/project settings/general and matched my imported video.  This TOO was start-stop, jerky AND I never saw any colored line above this first and only item on the timeline suggesting it needed any PRE-RENDERING.  Since APE13 has a pre-setting of 1920 X 1080, 60 fps and claims it can import .mov files, I was prepared to go REFLY this location, change the pre-flight camera settings to 1920 X 1080 30 fps and might even find MP4 as a choice, but it's hard to figure this is really the issue.  I'm all ears.

• 7. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

scottb

Thanks for the reply. I take it that you have not confirmed 3 frame rates versus 1 for your video, but have tried the HandBrake H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version in your Premiere Elements project and found no advantage in the HandBrake version with constant frame rate. But....

Please review the following to confirm the HandBrake setup that generated what you believe to be the HandBrake H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate....

Open HandBrake to opening workspace

Picture Tab

exactly as is

ScottOne.JPG

Under Video Tab

exactly as is.....not Framerate (FPS): 59.94 and not "same as source" and dot next to Constant Framerate.

ScottTwo.JPG

Hit green Start button, and wait for Queue Finished. Then import of the H.264.mp4 with constant 59.94 progressive frames per second version into the Premiere Elements project with the 1080p60 project settings.

Since you talked about QuickTime player earlier, I have assumed that you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer. Do you have video from other flights (same everything) that you can use successfully at this time whereas you cannot with this particular problem video?

Let us get the above out of the way and then I will suggest a what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
                        scottb44251384 Level 1

The first time of using Handbreak, I only addressed the picture TAB and nothing with the video tab.  Just now, I have matched your screen shots including the video TAB making sure the constant framerate of 59.94 was used, codec was the H.264 you showed, prior to hitting the green button, I had removed all previous attempts to resolve this, deleted all processed files so that I would only receive a file which I included the word handbreak in it, hit the green button, post processed file was put where I wanted it, AND YES, I have the latest version of Quick Time Player 7, this latest attempt again views perfectly, import this as a new project to APE13, put it on the timeline, play the imported version and STILL START-STOP, JERKY, FREEZES.

• 9. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

scott

Thanks for the follow ups.

Please do this with your original and the HandBrake version just created....export the rendered Timeline (starts/stops, jerky, freezes et al) to a file save to the computer hard drive. For this test, please use

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab customized to get MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p60

ScottMore.JPG

The intent of this is to distinguish between previewing issues and overall project issue.

Please remind me...is this problem footage from one flight only or from all recorded with the 1080p60 set?

Do you have any new 1080p60 footage for comparison? Do you have any 1080p30 footage for comparison?

ATR

• 10. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
                            scottb44251384 Level 1

OK, now I believe you are on to something, but because of TIME, I did not do both versions (original & handbreak)....Here is what I did.  I only took the full 2 minute handbreak that was not cut down to 23 seconds, imported it into APE13, then onto the timeline, followed your "custom SAVE" but the entire 2+ minute video in for final rendering which took 17+ minutes with a unique file name that had export in it, clicked on it viewing with Quick Time Player and it looks like the original smooth, crisp......I will now do the same thing taking the first 23 seconds, trashing the remainder, exporting it and see if I can finally send a small enough file through the email system.  RIGHT NOW, I THINK WE ARE DONE....THANK YOU SO MUCH, but If I am playing a clip during the editing process with all of this jerky motion, start-stop, freeze, WHY IS THAT OK AND WHY DOES IT GO AWAY AFTER THE RENDERING/SAVE PROCESS?

• 11. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
                              scottb44251384 Level 1

OK, We are DONE.  Just so you know, I took a copy of the original 2+ minute video that was in .mov format, I DID NOT RUN IT THROUGH HANDBREAK, brought it into APE13, put it on the timeline, used the scissors to cut at 23 seconds, click on the back, deleted it, watched a 23 second start-stop, jerky clip, changed all of the save settings as you posted,  made the saved file 23 sec , clicked on it using Quick Time Player 7 and it works.  THANK YOU AGAIN

• 12. Re: .mov video is great with Quick Time Player.  Import this to PE13 and it is start-stop movement
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

scottb

Thanks for the follow up results.

Using the HandBrake version, you seem to have confirmed that we are dealing with an Edit area previewing issue rather than a overall project issue.

If that becomes the focus

1. Verify that you are looking at the playback of the rendered Timeline (no colored line over the Timeline content). You say you have been there and done that.

2. Since you cannot render Timeline content that is giving you the best possible preview as per the no colored line indicator, then some maneuvers. We unrender it so that we can render it.

a. Import the file, drag it to the Timeline as first file drag to Timeline. If we have the right project preset, no colored line over the content...means we cannot render since rendering gets you the best possible preview and the program is telling you with that line indicator that you have the best possible preview. To unrender it we edit it. The easiest edit without consequence is right click the file, select Time Stretch, and set the Time Stretch dialog Speed % to 99. When you do that, you will get an orange line over the Timeline content. Render the Timeline and determine if the playback is improved. Render button above the Timeline or other ways.

3. Right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and set for Highest instead of Automatic.

4. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and set the Timeline Playback Quality = High quality, Slow speed.

Good background information to have...

1. MediaInfo information, 3 or 1 frame rate in the video properties readout (Tree View)

2. Comparison of HandBrake version with Original in each of these troubleshooting routes.

Consider. After you do some more exploring and experimentation, please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Just a mention...if you feel that we are done, you need not reply to this post....just some just in case notes.