10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 6:48 PM by Genetrump

I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV

Genetrump

I'm assembling a slide show of my cartoons for viewing on a TV.   The images are color JPEGs.   What primary settings work the best for the project when it comes to watching a slide show of images on a HD TV?   I know how to change the properties for the project but I'm not sure which of the formats and options will work best for turning a slide show into a video clip.

• 1. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Genetrump

Premiere Elements 13 on what computer operating system? Have you updates 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

To your immediate question...assuming that you have a NTSC setup....

1. What are the pixel dimensions of your jpegs and how many of them are there? Depending on computer resources, how many jpegs, and what pixel dimensions, try to use 1920 x 1080 jpegs and the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project preset = NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30.

2. What type of player does your HD TV have?

(a) If only DVD Player, then your destination is Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. Video stretched for display to 872 x 480 after encoding.

(b) If Blu-ray Player, then Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc (which is a DVD disc)...can be 1920 x 1080 @ 23.94 progressive frames per second (H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby)

(c) If Blu-ray Player, then Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray disc...can be 1920 x 1080 @ 23.94 progressive frames per second (H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby).

I have assumed that you wanted a disc product? If your HD TV player supports other media for the video file, what formats on what media does it support?

With that information, I will suggest Publish+Share/Computer/ specifics for the export to file.

Please review, consider, and give more details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
            Genetrump Level 1

ATR,

Thank you very much,  that's really what I was looking for.   The TV and Blu-ray player are both Samsung.   My computer OP is Windows 7.    I'm not quite sure how many slides I'll end up using in the project but right now there's about 100.    I will make sure I have the latest update for Premiere Elements ... I don't remember updating but maybe I already did.

Thanks again,

GT

• 3. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
              A.T. Romano Level 7

GT

Thanks for the follow up. Glad the information is helpful in your Premiere Elements video presentation goals.

Premiere Elements 13 update to 13.1 can be verified in the Editor via Help Menu/About Adobe Premiere Elements. The perks of 13.1 can be found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: Adobe Releases Premiere Elements 13.1 Update

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects. Please do not hesitate to ask if any questions or clarification on those projects.

ATR

• 4. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
                Genetrump Level 1

ATR,  I decided to upgrade to Elements 14 and am still working on my cartoon clip.   Your settings work great for watching the cartoon images on a TV but I really need to change the time stretch.... the cartoons don't stay on the screen as long as they should.   I know I can change the time stretch for each clip (image) but it will take me a very long time to work with each image to lengthen the time stretch.

Are you aware of any manner in which I can "select all" and adjust the time stretch for each image?    As the program considers each image as a clip and not an image,  I can't see a way to use the time stretch for a number of "clips" instead of just one at a time.

If you have any ideas on a procedure for adjusting the time for multiple images instead of one at a time,  please let me know.

Thanks   A.T. !

Gene

• 5. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

Thanks for the update on your Premiere Elements workflows.

You should be able to select all those files at one time, right click anywhere in the selection, select Clip from the pop up menu, and then Time Stretch extension of Clip, and, in the Time Stretch dialog, set your duration. Is that working for you?

Two keys to success in 14.

1. Finding Time Stretch in Expert workspace from right click

2. Selecting all files at the same time....depending on the circumstances

a. As you hold down on the Shift key, click on each of the wanted files to select them all at one time

or

b. Use the mouse cursor to draw a rectangle around the involved files to select them

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
                    Genetrump Level 1

A.T.,

I'm using either the right click approach or a shut cut I learned that involves selecting the clip and then the key strokes CNTRL-R...   I think I tried selecting all after using those procedures and it wouldn't let me select but I'd better make sure.

I wasn't aware of the mouse approach to draw around the files I want to change so I'll try that one for sure.

I will most definitely let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!

Gene

• 7. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

I tried the suggestion that I originally posted using Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 (Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit respectively), and it works clicking anywhere in the selection and selecting Time Stretch (13/13.1) or Clip/Time Stretch (14) from the pop up menu.

The Ctrl+R in Windows works for 13/13.1 and 14. It is the shortcut to the Time Stretch dialog. It seems to work in place of having to right click in 13/13.1 and 14 route to Time Stretch dialog.

Also look at....click with the mouse cursor at the top right on the last clip in the series that you want to select all at one time....hold that click and drag the mouse cursor diagonally to the lower left edge of the first clip in the series, drawing a rectangle. Then release the hold down. All those clips should now be selected in that series.

ATR

• 8. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
                        Genetrump Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Well,  none of the options worked.   When I select the images I want to

time stretch I end up with the time stretch box but it indicates: 

00:00:00:00 and won't let me change the numbers.

This is an example of what I'm trying to create.   It's basically a

slide show of my cartoons and some of them do not stay on screen long

enough for the viewer to read the caption before it moves to another

cartoon.    This is a short example.  The full length of the slide show/

movie is 20 minutes.    So to lengthen each cartoon one clip at a time

will take forever.

The password is: toons

https://vimeo.com/144292005

Gene

• 9. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gene

Thanks for the follow up.

Oops. There is one thing that can mess up this perfect plan. All the individual files need to be the same duration to start with.

To get the result that you report, sounds like they are not.

Do you have bunches of clips with the same initial duration so that you can do this bunch by bunch?

Please consider, and let me know if I have targeted the major oops in the plan.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: I'm using PE 13, what are the best settings for viewing a slide show on a TV
                            Genetrump Level 1

A.J.,

That's the problem!     They're not all at the same original time

stretch.   When I find some that are the same,  the technique works!

Well....  okay...  it doesn't look like there is a quick and easy way to

change them all at once so I'll need to do them in batches.

Thanks for the tip...  you discovered the problem.

Cheers!

Gene