23 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 9:39 AM by barryherman

Camera Raw Panorama

P Moloney Level 1

Just now (in mid job) I get the following message while creating a panorama with ACR

"Merged result exceeds maximum size"

I have already cerated larger panoramas within the same set of images.

Whats going on arc 9.2 Mac Pro Yosemite

Peter

• 2. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
          P Moloney Level 1

Hi Mohit,

Thanks for the links, however I had already checked out the Julieanne Kost article.

First of all I have been using the "merge to panorama" feature in camera raw since it became available - without problem!

I am a building / architectural photographer and I use the tool to create a stitched vertical panorama from two or  three shifted frames on the 24mm TSE lens

Yesterday I merged two panoramas (with 3 images) successfully (8064 x 10682px and 8681 x 11617px)

The next images I tried to merge (2 frames this time) gave me the message "Merged result exceeds maximum size" I then merged it the old way... corrected two individual raws, then through bridge created the merge using the Photoshop - Photomerge tool, and successfully created a 8655 x 11564px image.

These figures seem to be within the size limitations, but why were the first two merges ok but not the last.

This seems to have occurred since the last ACR update - can I download and replace an older version?

Peter

• 3. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
            Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi PMoloney,

Try turn off the GPU from the Camera raw Preferences under the Performance section. and then try using it.

Camera Raw Prefs.JPG

Regards,

~Mohit

• 4. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
              P Moloney Level 1

Hi Mohit,

Here's what i did...

Turned off Graphics processor - restarted Bridge - same problem

Restarted computer - same problem.

As I had "adjusted" the two raw images I un-adjusted them (reset to "camera raw default") - no change

Then I tried two other exposures 8340 & 8341 merged perfectly???

Can't understand this!!!

P

Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 16.00.01.png

• 5. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                P Moloney Level 1

Just an update...

Provided you make a Panorama from TOTALLY un-adjusted raw files it seems to work.

If you have made ANY adjustment to the raw files they won't merge.

This was not the case before the update - and previously - while most adjustments didn't cary through to the merged DNG, they didn't stop the merge happening.

I have read that this version has an "Improved" panorama merge function, I can only see a dis-improvement, as someone who uses this every working day!

P

• 6. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                  P Moloney Level 1

Further Update:

Aftre a few weeks of this, even with no adjustments whatsoever there are still times when images won't merge to panorama. "Merged result exceeds maximum size".

I can do a few images and then one won't merge, usually after a "restart" it will then resume working - This is a Bug!

Please can someone look into this problem

P

• 7. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never seen that error. I have one panorama that is roughly 3300 x 24,000 pixels, and Photoshop handled it just fine.

• 8. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                      P Moloney Level 1

Hi Jim,

I recon that size has nothing to do with this, all my images are well under the limit. It is quite random, I could produce several / many merged panoramas. then suddenly I could get the message. Or equally it could happen wit the first set of images I try.

It is interesting that I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that this v9.x ACR has a new improved stitching & HDR algorithms, and wonder if therein lies the problem???

Every job I do involves a few stitched images, so this is driving me nuts!

P

• 9. Re: Camera Raw Panorama

I have been playing around with the panorama feature in Camera Raw. I have done another vertical panorama using four images, and another horizontal panorama that measures roughly 3800 x 27,000 pixels. It nearly brought my computer to its knees, but it finally completed it. I'm using Windows 10, i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics, 24 megapixel raw images. I still can't seem to get Camera Raw for Photoshop to display the message you have been seeing.

• 10. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                          P Moloney Level 1

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 17.25.06.png

Hi Jim,

Here are two images I tried to merge a couple of days ago.

I tried to merge them "unadjusted" and got message as above, then adjusted them individually and merged to panorama in Bridge.

This was one of two shots I wanted to stitch, the other worked perfectly.

FYI I'm on Mac

- MacPro 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC - AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

and "Use Graphics Processor" is off

Thanks for your interest Jim, I'll try anything you might suggest!

P

• 11. Re: Camera Raw Panorama

I just moved up to a 24 megapixel camera. In my lines of discussion I didn't expect to be saying that I am "only" using a camera with that many pixels. I'm just wondering if maybe Camera Raw isn't ready to handle raw images of that size in panoramas. You might try saving those files as DNG files, and reducing the dimensions to see if that might make a difference. That's the only suggestion I have. My images are 6000 x 4000 pixels, and both Camera Raw and Lightroom seemed to handle them just fine.

• 12. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you upload your two that don't stitch for you to www.dropbox.com and post a public share link, here?

What could cause such an error is if the match-detection was incorrect and one or both images were severely distorted so that the stretched result was very long in one direction and exceeded the maximum pixel size.  Without the error message telling you the dimension numbers that are too large or some sort of a preview to see what the image distortion looks like its hard to tell if a bad match is a possibility.

Be aware that there was an issue with ACR before where it'd merge to a tiny image around 1000px by 700px instead of fullsize and Adobe has said their theory is that the full merge was failing silently and the result being the internal preview used for matching, and they've adjusted the full-stitch logic to fail more often instead of silently failing and using the merged previews as the final result.  Maybe there is a bug in this more stringent error checking that's going overboard with it's checking.

If the images that won't merge need to have some little adjustment then either include the XMP files along with the raws on dropbox or convert to DNGs and embed the settings in the DNG.  As Jim says it also might work if you convert to DNG first.  What you can do, then, is experiment with different DNG preview sizes in case the match-detection looks at the preview instead of the fullsize data or the camera-embedded JPG.

• 14. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                                P Moloney Level 1

Quick update:

The 2 images which won't stitch as .CR2 files, will stitch if converted to .dng first!

P

• 15. Re: Camera Raw Panorama

Both sets of images stitch ok for me in ACR 9.2 on a 16GB Windows 10 PC.  I do get an error about there not being any lens corrections available but the stitch still works.

• 16. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                                    P Moloney Level 1

How interesting! (the warning about the lens profile is standard as its a shift lens) It is interesting that when i convert the CR2 files and then stitch it works, whereas stitching CR2s and creating stitched .dng doesn't

This now seems to be a Mac issue, I wonder if someone could try those images on a Mac please?

P

• 17. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                                      ZMcCrory

Did you ever find a fix for this?

It randomly started happening to me today...

A big part of my workflow is stitching 4-10 images together (portraits... like the Brenizer method).

Today I noticed an update for Bridge and ACR, so I installed them before I got started.  The first set of files I tried (4 images), gave the "exceeds maximum size" error.  I've tried several other images... all with 4 or 5 photos, and all had the same error.

Nikon D810 (36 megapixel).

Computer is a new Mac Pro.  3.5 Ghz 6-Core Xeon E5, 64GB Ram, AMD Firepro D500 3GB video cards.

Note that I've stitched panoramas MUCH larger than this, hundreds of times on this same setup, and its always been quick and worked flawlessly.

• 18. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                                        adambutler Level 1

Hi everyone,

I came through to here via a search - I have the exact same issue.

I've been creating merged panoramas via ACR with often 15+ high res images (many very large from Hasselblad digital camera) with never a problem. Yet this morning it claims I've "exceeded the maximum size" with just 2 images taken on my Nikon.

Perhaps it's because it's a vertical panorama I'm trying to do - just as in some of the previous posts?

If I select tools->photoshop->photomerge via bridge, it works just fine, but not from ACR.

Weird - and this is something that has been going on a while!

Clearly a bug in the works somewhere!

• 19. Re: Camera Raw Panorama

Can you upload your two errant images to www.dropbox.com and post a public share link, here.

• 20. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                                            adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee

Can you please send us the files, so we can investigate? If you don't want to post the link here, please send me a link to dropbox. aohlmeye@adobe.com  Thanks!

• 21. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                                              P Moloney Level 1

Hi Adobe staff member,

Interesting to see this still rumbling along!

My problem has come and gone and returned and vanished several times.

It's not happening now - thank goodness, as every job I do needs at least s few panoramas.

What seems to activate it is a software update, either CC, Photoshop, or ACR. (possibly even a mac service update - though I'm not sure of this)

What I am sure of is that it goes away after an overnight shut down, or sometimes after a couple of days, (a restart usually doesn't work for me)

I know that this is a useless set of information for a software engineer but I can honestly tell you that this happens (always when in a rush to meet a deadline)

If there is anything I can do to assist in resolving this I would be happy to do. As I have said before, I use Bridge, ACR and PS all day every day.

Peter

• 22. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                                                barryherman

Hi, I have just today had this experience for the first and continuing time...merged result exceeds maximum size.

I have been  sucessfully using this process in Bridge ACR Photoshop CC 2015 including even yesterday using 20mb Canon images and a max of 3 of them together. I have saved them as .dng and I get the same rejection Bridge will not perform the process... merged result exceeds maximum size.

HOWEVER Lightroom will perform the process sucessfully with no problems with .cr2 or .dng immediately afterwards, ridldle me that.

Answers on a postcard

• 23. Re: Camera Raw Panorama
                                                  barryherman Level 1

Hi, I have just today had this experience for the first and continuing time...merged result exceeds maximum size.

I have been  sucessfully using this process in Bridge ACR Photoshop CC 2015 including even yesterday using 20mb Canon images and a max of 3 of them together. I have saved them as .dng and I get the same rejection Bridge will not perform the process... merged result exceeds maximum size.

HOWEVER Lightroom will perform the process sucessfully with no problems with .cr2 or .dng immediately afterwards, ridldle me that.

Answers on a postcard