9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 11:23 AM by Larph

How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?

Larph Level 1

I  use a PC, LIghtroom 6.2.1, and Windows 7. 

Here is my question:  I am trying to import to a new catalog on a new, larger external drive.  The current catalog and photo folders reside on my laptop.  I am following the instructions below, which I think I've taken correctly from web sources and a Lightroom book:

a.)  I've created a new catalog on my new external drive.

b.)  I start Lightroom with the new catalog and go to:  File | Import from another catalog

c.)  I navigate to the catalog on my laptop and select it.  Lightroom prepares to import by checking for duplicates, etc.

d.)  It then gives me an option to import.  There is no option to select a certain folder or folders to import.

e.)  Lightroom them imports everything from the old catalog with no folder structure.  Everything goes into a folder labeled "All Photos."

f.)  I end up with the "All photos" folder containing >10,000 images.  Develop settings, etc, appear to come along.

How can I do this by bringing one folder at a time to the new drive and catalog?  As is, all my folder structure is trashed.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Ralph

• 1. Re: How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Larph,

If you looking to move your data to the new external drive, the best way is to copy the entire images and the Lightroom catalog to the external drive.

Make sure you move the data in the same structure. Once you finish moving the files to the new drive.Double click on the catalog which you moved to new drive, it will open the Lightroom where Images are missing under the library module.

You need to right click on the folders and update the new location in the Lightroom catalog for that you can refer the article: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Locate missing photos

Hope it helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Larph wrote:

I  use a PC, LIghtroom 6.2.1, and Windows 7.

Here is my question:  I am trying to import to a new catalog on a new, larger external drive.  The current catalog and photo folders reside on my laptop.  I am following the instructions below, which I think I've taken correctly from web sources and a Lightroom book:

a.)  I've created a new catalog on my new external drive.

b.)  I start Lightroom with the new catalog and go to:  File | Import from another catalog

c.)  I navigate to the catalog on my laptop and select it.  Lightroom prepares to import by checking for duplicates, etc.

d.)  It then gives me an option to import.  There is no option to select a certain folder or folders to import.

e.)  Lightroom them imports everything from the old catalog with no folder structure.  Everything goes into a folder labeled "All Photos."

f.)  I end up with the "All photos" folder containing >10,000 images.  Develop settings, etc, appear to come along.

How can I do this by bringing one folder at a time to the new drive and catalog?  As is, all my folder structure is trashed.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Ralph

What do you really want to achieve?

If you are really wanting to move the current catalog and photo folders from your laptop.and onto the external drive, you don't do it by importing to a new catalogue.

Instead, using Explorer/Finder to copy the current catalog and photo folders from your laptop onto the external drive. Keep the same folder structure as now. Once that's done, change the name of the top level folders containing the current catalog and photo folders on the laptop - add the word "old" for example.

Now double click the copy of the catalogue (lrcat file) to start Lightroom. In Folders, if any parent folders show as missing, right click them and point to their new location on the hard drive.

That should be it.

• 3. Re: How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?
              dj_paige Level 9

Asking the same question that John Beardsworth asked

What do you really want to achieve?

And then adding, why do you need a new catalog? It sounds to me like you just want to move the photos to the external HD, there's no need for a new catalog here.

• 4. Re: How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?
                Larph Level 1

Everyone -- Thanks for the responses. What I really want to achieve is an import to a newly created catalog.  Without going into a lot of detail, this suites my particular situation best.  Trust me.

Please see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/import-photos-various-sources.html

Also see page 206 of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5, the missing FAQ; by Victoria Bamptom.  I am sure there are multiple other sources that explain the process and why you’d want to do it, but I can lay my hands on these references immediately.

So, if I go through the steps outlined in the above references, individual folders do not transfer.  The flaw appears to be that I get no option to identify individual folders in the transfer process that the above references allude to and that I outlined in my original post.

The most likely thing is that I’m doing something wrong.  So rather than do this in a way that I’d prefer not to, I’d like to find the source of my error or something missing in Lightroom's instructions.  Can you help me find that?

Is it a bug in my version of Lightroom? Maybe, but the odds are that it’s me. So, can we focus on the process that Lightroom documents and not alternatives?

Thanks again.

Ralph

• 5. Re: How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

If you are looking to transfer only part of your original catalog (some folder but not all) then you will need to select the images you want to transfer and "export as catalog" them to a small temporary catalog. You can the use this temp catalog as your source for "import from catalog".

• 6. Re: How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?
                    Larph Level 1

What I want to do is transfer everything from my laptop catalog to the new, main catalog I have created on a new, large external drive.  But, I want to do this one folder at a time, or in a way that preserves my folders and their hierarchy.  After this procedure is established, I will then transfer other folders from other external drives to the new larger drive.

I have several external drives (with catalogs) from multiple shoots, spanning  over 10 years from multiple geographic locations.  I want all of this on a new, large external drive with one catalog.  I want to preserve the laptop catalog and use it as temporary, handy storage when I travel.  But all of this is irrelevant until we establish the process of importing to a new catalog with an intact folder structure.

Thanks --

Ralph

• 7. Re: How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?
                      john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Then follow the instructions I already provided.

• 8. Re: How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?
                        ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

OK, what you are looking to do is to merge multiple catalogs into one.

To maintain the folder structure as is, you need to manually copy the images to the new drive by copying the directory tree.

To merge some folders without others, select the images you want to transfer in the old catalog, "export as catalog" but do not include the "negative files".

Using the new catalog, "import from catalog" using this temp catalog.

To merge all the folders, "import from catalog" using the large original catalog.

After the "import from catalog", you will need to go to the Folders panel of the new catalog and "find missing" or "relocate" the top-most folders so that Lightroom knows that the files are now on the new drive.

• 9. Re: How do I transfer folders to a new catalog?
                          Larph Level 1

Thanks.  I'll work with info I've gotten.  Julieanne Kost has some excellent video describing why some photographers want to create new catalogs, import to catalogs, etc.    We still don't know why Lightroom doesn't give me the option to select specific folders as its documentation details.

Thanks, Maniacjoe, you reply was the most well thought out and polite.

Ralph