4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2006 7:10 PM by Newsgroup_User

web-safe colours

Level 7

How many web-safe colours are there and are today's monitors far more
      consistent than old monitors?
      Is there a swatch file I can use for Photoshop (an .aco file extension I
      think) that has the colours most modern monitors can render?

I ask because when I pull an image off the net into PS, I can't find the
      websafe colour for some of the colours and wonder if the swatches I have are
      too out of date and there are far more web-safe colours these days than what
      my PS (version 6. something) has built in.
      I mean, if I can see the colours on my lappy monitor ( about three years
      old) I have to question how many monitors won't render the colours
      correctly, if any.

--
      Cheers,
      Lossed
      __when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail __

• 1. Re: web-safe colours
          HHills_Farm
          I don't believe you need to use "web-safe" colors any longer, I was told monitors under ten years old could display all colors. I could be wrong, so if I am, someone speak up cuz I'm in trouble!
          • 2. Re: web-safe colours
            Level 7
            "Web safe colors" is pretty much a non issue anymore - Thankfully we have
            moved beyond the old 256 color monitor days. So use any color you like...
            As long as it tastefully done of course :-)

--
            Lawrence Cramer - Adobe� Community Expert
            email: lawrence at cartweaver dot com

Cartweaver CF, ASP & PHP Shopping Cart for Dreamweaver
            www.cartweaver.com
            news://support.cartweaver.com
            =====================================================

"Lossed" <blankemail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
            news:e40h9j$ivn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >
            > How many web-safe colours are there and are today's monitors far more
            > consistent than old monitors?
            > Is there a swatch file I can use for Photoshop (an .aco file extension I
            > think) that has the colours most modern monitors can render?
            >
            > I ask because when I pull an image off the net into PS, I can't find the
            > websafe colour for some of the colours and wonder if the swatches I have
            > are too out of date and there are far more web-safe colours these days
            > than what my PS (version 6. something) has built in.
            > I mean, if I can see the colours on my lappy monitor ( about three years
            > old) I have to question how many monitors won't render the colours
            > correctly, if any.
            >
            > --
            > Cheers,
            > Lossed
            > __when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail __
            >

• 3. Re: web-safe colours
              Level 7
              Great, tks.
              "Lossed" <blankemail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
              news:e40h9j$ivn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >
              > How many web-safe colours are there and are today's monitors far more
              > consistent than old monitors?
              >
              > I mean, if I can see the colours on my lappy monitor ( about three years
              > old) I have to question how many monitors won't render the colours
              > correctly, if any.
              >
              > --
              > Cheers,
              > Lossed
              > __when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail __
              >

• 4. Re: web-safe colours
                Level 7
                > How many web-safe colours are there

> and are today's monitors far more consistent than old monitors?

Consistent how? Any two given monitors will likely have very differenr color
                reproduction.

Most any color monitor out there can display millions of colors. Some older
                computer video cards (10 years old or so) and some handhelds (5 years old)
                may be restricted to thousands of colors.

'Web safe colors' is an antiquated concept. No need to worry about them
                anymore.

-Darrel