7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2015 6:31 AM by A.T. Romano

MPEG Import error in Elements 14

malloryt58556521

Hi there,

I have recently upgraded from Premiere Elements 13 to 14, and have lost the ability to successfully import an MPEG clip.

The error message I get reads "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

These same clips imported successfully in both PE 13 and my trial version of Premiere Pro CC 2015.

The clips are over-the-air recordings from a TV Tuner card program, and the codec information from VLC tells me they are "MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)", if that's of any help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to have to roll back to Elements 13...

Thank you!!

• 1. Re: MPEG Import error in Elements 14
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may be using something other than a traditional, editable MPEG.

Please open your file in G Spot or Media Info and post the resolution, frame rate and especially the audio and video codecs the program reports.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

• 2. Re: MPEG Import error in Elements 14
            A.T. Romano Level 7

malloryt

Since you have already posted the codec information....

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 as well as Premiere Pro CC 2015?

This matter of MPEG-1/2 (mpgv) has come up before. As I recall, the solution was video conversion.

Is Bandicam involved in any of this?

But, surprisingly it worked in 13/13.1 for you and not 14. Same computer?

Where is the problem happening - in the Premiere Elements Editor or in its Elements Organizer?

Please rename the file extension from mpgv to .mpeg or .mov. (with latest version of QuickTime 7 installed) and let us know if that had any impact before you consider video conversion. By the way, what is the frame size and frame rate and scan type on your mpgv?

ATR

• 3. Re: MPEG Import error in Elements 14
              malloryt58556521 Level 1

Hi guys, thanks for replying!

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and have done for all three versions of Premiere. I've used the same computer for the whole process.

No Bandicam involved, I'm using WinTV8 (from Hauppauge) to record. It is recording .TS files and immediately converting them to .MPG files after recording is finished.

The problem occurs in both Elements Organizer, and when I import it via Add Media > Files & Folders.

I've attached a screenshot from GSpot. It says both video and audio codecs are installed!

Gspot Capture.JPG

I'm sure converting them to something else would solve the problem, but this process worked perfectly with Elements 13.1! I can't work out why it's suddenly stopped working...

Thanks very much for your help!

• 4. Re: MPEG Import error in Elements 14
                A.T. Romano Level 7

malloryt

At the onset you said that VLC Player was identifying your problem video audio as MPEG 1/2 (mpgv).

Is the GSpot readout (your screenshot) for that same file that VLC player is calling MPEG 1/2 mpgv.

MPEG 1/2 mpgv has known problems in video editors although you say that you have worked with it successful in Premiere Elements 13/13.1. But, what about the audio....have you always worked with the mpgv.mpg file with the mp2 audio?

I have found MPEG2.ts file to be supported by Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 Windows. What was the plan when you converted the original .ts to .mpg which probably involved some carry along file changes besides the ones targeted.

Do you have QuickTime 7.7.6 installed on your Windows 10 64 bit computer?

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Are you running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges?

Are you running the programs with an active Internet connection?

Would you consider sending a small sample of the problem file as a shareable link that you post as reply in your thread. If you do, I will give it a workout in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 on Windows 7 and 10 64 bit. I am not Adobe, just a user of the Elements programs. I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way.

Please consider, and update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: MPEG Import error in Elements 14
                  malloryt58556521 Level 1

Here is the screenshot from VLC for the same file:

VLC screenshot.JPG

I haven't had this system for very long, but as I said, I had no problems with video or audio with Premiere 13.1 or Premiere Pro CC 2015.

The file itself is 3GB, but I have just made a 40 second recording using the same program, so the specs of the file should all be the same. Here is the link:

LIVE#_MotoGP#_Pramac_Australian_Motorcycle_Gra_20151018_1620.mpg - Google Drive

Thank you so much for your time and help with this - much appreciated! Let me know if the link doesn't work.

• 6. Re: MPEG Import error in Elements 14
                    malloryt58556521 Level 1

Stand down! The problem has been solved!

I read somewhere online about having to activate or register the MPEG codec online. I assumed because I was connected to the Internet it would happen automatically.

I re-installed Elements 13.1, imported the MPEG file, saved the project, and then opened that same project file in Premiere 14.

That triggered the registration of the codec, and suddenly the file imported and indexed as normal.

Thanks so much for your efforts, but the problem is fixed!!

• 7. Re: MPEG Import error in Elements 14
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

malloryt

Thanks for the update and great job of troubleshooting.

Very interesting results. I downloaded the file that you sent (MPEG2.mpg with mp2 audio according to GSpot and MediaInfo).

I have Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 installed on Windows 7 64 bit and had no problems importing the sample that you sent into 14.

Curious that any MPEG2 activation was not automatic with the Internet connection.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR