4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 3:12 PM by JackofHearts

Indesign PDF to Photoshop creating unwanted lines

JackofHearts

I'm having this painful issue trying to collaborate PDF's on ID and trying to get them to export as JPEG's.

The issue: I have made a series of advertisements for an ad campaign that are all in PDF format and now i want to ad them to my portfolio and can only upload them to the website as a JPEG or PNG. I have gathered them on an Indesign page in a basic layout and tried to export them as a jpeg etc. When i export them, the jpeg and png all display the pdf lines /cut marks/annoying line artifacts.

Question: is it possible to add one or multiple pdf's (as you would with a jpeg) to indesign then export it as a png or jpeg and not get those cut marks or what ever you want to call them.

In the image below you can see the results of adding a pdf to indesign and converting it then to a jpg. Regardless of how you do it, be it exporting as a jpeg straight from indesign or exporting to a pdf and placing it in photoshop, the results are all the same.

cut marks.jpg

I would stick it out and just export them individually as jpegs and then import the jpegs to back into my layout i have created but i have 6 more pages like this... damn the frustration makes me want to karate cop indesign right in the face.

• 1. Re: Indesign PDF to Photoshop creating unwanted lines
          Danny Whitehead. Level 4

They look like transparency flattening artifacts, so we need to determine where the flattening is happening.

Open the original PDFs with Acrobat. Can you see any of the lines? They'll probably appear and disappear at different magnifications, so try zooming in and out of different areas of the page.

If you can see them, you'll need to re-export from the original layout files, with Compatibility set to at least Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4).

If you can't see them, then the flattening is being done by InDesign on export. The best way to get a JPG from an InDesign layout is to export an unflattened PDF (I suggest using the PDF/X-4:2008 setting), open it in Photoshop and save the JPG from there.

• 2. Re: Indesign PDF to Photoshop creating unwanted lines
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have gathered them on an Indesign page in a basic layout and tried to export them

Are you sure the stitching isn't in the PDFs you are placing? If you check the PDF's Document properties the Description tab will show the PDF version. If it is 1.3 (Acrobat 4.x) then they have been flattened.

• 3. Re: Indesign PDF to Photoshop creating unwanted lines
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

rob day wrote:

Are you sure the stitching isn't in the PDFs you are placing? If you check the PDF's Document properties the Description tab will show the PDF version. If it is 1.3 (Acrobat 4.x) then they have been flattened.

Of course. This is a much better way to check than the zooming around that I suggested.

• 4. Re: Indesign PDF to Photoshop creating unwanted lines
                JackofHearts Level 1

Oh great! thanks for your help fellas. It was the PDF version showing the transparency artifacts. As suggested I exported with compatibility set to acrobat 5... fixed the issue. Awesome outcome to this post, cheers!