15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 4:19 AM by BobLevine

compatibility issues

Abaer Level 1

I am a long time user of Adobe CS, now on 5.5. Considering a new laptop or tablet, currently use a MacAir and iMac.

1. Can I use InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator with a new Windows 10 device, either laptop or tablet? What about using these programs with an iPad, Mini 4 or iPad Pro?

2. Or are these programs not ready of Windows 10 or an iPad device?

3. Any issues with the new MacAir or iMac running OS X El Capitan?

5. What, exactly... will I need to run your CS programs on the new Windows Surface Pro 4 tablet?

6. Do you think it, the Window Surface Pro tablet running Windows 10, will be as reliable as the MacAir?

7. Would I need to upgrade to CS 6 to use any of these machines ? Exactly which ones would require the upgrade? I do not want to just display finished work, but I want to do full production of printed publications. Unfortunately, the MacAir does not have a screen that can be used like a tablet, using a pen.

I have been waiting for a long time, hoping I could start working on a more portable machine, tablet where I could use a pen on screen, but speed and bullet proof work production is necessary for creating the publications I produce.

You help in understanding these issues is appreciated.

TW Hébert

Vail Living Agency

Vail, CO

VailLiving@yahoo.com

• 1. Re: compatibility issues
          Derek Cross Level 6

You can't use InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator on tablets

• 2. Re: compatibility issues
            Derek Cross Level 6

If you're a professional trade up to Indesign CC2015 (etc).

You pay for a monthly subscription.

• 3. Re: compatibility issues
              Derek Cross Level 6

I understand some new applications from Adobe aimed at Tablets are becoming available.

Re El Capitan and InDesign CC2015,  turn off in Preference the new hide/show menu (you can read about it in detail on this site)

• 4. Re: compatibility issues
                Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

See my reply to each question below.

1. Can I use InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator with a new Windows 10 device, either laptop or tablet? What about using these programs with an iPad, Mini 4 or iPad Pro?

At Adobe MAX, they announced that the next versions of ID, PS, and IL are all touch-enabled and can be used on a Windows 10 device such as a Surface Pro. None of the desktop versions of these apps will run on an iPad currently.

2. Or are these programs not ready of Windows 10 or an iPad device?

ID, PS, and IL will all be touch enabled.

3. Any issues with the new MacAir or iMac running OS X El Capitan?

I've heard of a few minor issues but for the most part, they run fine.

5. What, exactly... will I need to run your CS programs on the new Windows Surface Pro 4 tablet?

You'll need a Creative Cloud subscription.

6. Do you think it, the Window Surface Pro tablet running Windows 10, will be as reliable as the MacAir?

I've heard good things about the Surface Pro and Windows 10. Despite being a Mac user myself, the Surface Pro is a very reliable and appealing product.

7. Would I need to upgrade to CS 6 to use any of these machines ? Exactly which ones would require the upgrade? I do not want to just display finished work, but I want to do full production of printed publications. Unfortunately, the MacAir does not have a screen that can be used like a tablet, using a pen.

CS 6 would not be touch enabled. You'll need to upgrade to CC.

• 5. Re: compatibility issues
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

1. Your Mac software will not work on Windows.

2. You'd need the CC versions. For the latest releases, Illy and PS have touch interfaces. ID touch interface is coming soon.

3. Nothing but issues with El Capitan. Lots of complaints which I'm sure will be sorted sooner or later but CS5.5 will not be updated.

Where's number 4?

5. The latest CC releases.

6. It will be more reliable based on what I've read here. But you'll need the i7 version with lots of RAM

7. CS6 is a dead product. You'll need a subscription.

• 6. Re: compatibility issues
                    Abaer Level 1

I suppose I should just stick with Mac, since I know it so well. Then again, if the Windows 10 machine can run CS5.5 and has no issues, maybe that would be best, but I just don’t know, what say you?

I am thinking I might want to wait another year before switching to CC, then if all the bugs are worked out, CC may be a good plan. But still worried about the speed and having to work where/when I cannot be online, if internet is down or like while traveling, deadlines always the bugaboo. Will the CC allow downloading of programs to work offline?

Do you believe I will be able to produce InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator publications with CC on the new iPad Pro? Or should I just stick to a MacAir? Being able to use a pen on screen would be nice for some things. If I invest in an iPad, it would have to be able to supplant my MacAir, mainly for traveling.

The good thing with CS 5.5 is I do not have to pay more to Adobe, not until I am forced to upgrade, but my main offset printer I use is still on CS 5.5, will that be a problem if I start using CC?

How much more will it cost me to switch to CC. I assume I still need to have programs on my machine for the sake of speed and meeting crunch publication deadlines, how will all that work? Or will it work?

I have not been able to get a straight answer from Adobe about the compatibility issues and exactly what equipment road to take, or is that your job?

Tim

• 7. Re: compatibility issues

You CANNOT run your Mac version of CS5.5 on Windows.

CC is $50/month with an annual contract.

• 8. Re: compatibility issues
                        caroleg16088833 Level 1

Does that mean that CS 6 InDesign education software will not be fixed to run on ElCaptain or updated in the future??  Is that Adobe problem or Apple?

• 9. Re: compatibility issues
                          Derek Cross Level 6

Adobe are unlikely to invest more into CS6. If you're a professional you need to upgrade to CC by taking out a monthly subscription.

• 10. Re: compatibility issues
                            gert verrept Level 2

I've always run Adobe soft on a Windows machine. Currently we're running CC2015 on Win7. Never had any problems.

You don't have to be online to use the software. CC is still downloaded to your mac. Speed? Get some extra RAM and SSD drives. I'm working with an i7 and 24Gb Ram. Even big photo's from photoshop rarely use the ssd as a swap file.

I do't see a reason why waiting before going to CC, maybe ElCapitain issues?

CS6 was good, but CC is better for lot's of reeasons (CC libraries, publish Online, Type fonts, ....)

• 11. Re: compatibility issues
                              caroleg16088833 Level 1

actually I am reloading a different operating system and will reload the new one when they get the bugs out.  I use a Mac i5 with 8g of memory.  Old system had no problems with speed. thanks for the advise, but sorry, I hate windows.

• 12. Re: compatibility issues
                                caroleg16088833 Level 1

costs too much.  I am retired and until my husband recently passed away, was eligible for the education discount. My work is volunteer for a national veterans organization (WWII vets, yet!)

• 13. Re: compatibility issues
                                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Unfortunately there are no options for you that won't be costly other than using your old software on your old hardware.

• 14. Re: compatibility issues
                                    caroleg16088833 Level 1

I have reverted back to Yosemite and it works great.  Sure Apple will fix the bugs in El Captain soonest.  It just came out of Beta testing.  Should not have upgraded so soon.

• 15. Re: compatibility issues

Apple does not care about backward compatibility.