9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 6:10 AM by SJRiegel

Indexing - shifting page numbers

Roy E Level 1

Indexing question

Having a terrible time indexing a book.

I do not use the InDesign indexing feature as it requires knowing the structure of the index as one creates the book. Not applicable in the structure of this book.

Background: Book details: 29 chapters, 490 pages. Running an iMac on OS 10.6, using InDesign CS 5.

In the Book menus the “Book Page Number Options” is set at: i) Page Order, Continue from previous document.

In the drop down Layout menu the Numbering and Section Options, are set at: Automatically Update Page and Section Numbers, the box “New Section” Automatic Page Numbering is checked.

These are the settings under which I wrote the book. Did not have a problem with page numbers “holding”.

Issue:  Now for whatever reason the page numbers are not “stable”. For example this morning when I resumed indexing Ch. 12 had page numbers 125 – 162, and Ch, 13 had page numbers 161-176. It took some time to convince InDesign that Ch. 13 started on page 163.

I cannot keep re-indexing. Nearly at wits end. Presume I have something wrong in the page number selections for indexing?

For whatever help…THANK YOU

Thomas

• 1. Re: Indexing - shifting page numbers
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know what's wrong with your page numbering, but working out an indexing structure so that you can use the built-in indexing feature seems like it would be a lot less work than what you doing now.

• 2. Re: Indexing - shifting page numbers
            Roy E Level 1

SRiegel,

Thank you much for your reply. I agree if that were feasable. But take my word for it that the indexing structure of some works does not manifest itself in any useful manner until the work is well under way. I once tried the InDesign indexing feature, but it did not work ... it required constant adjustment, and I mean constant.

As for the numbering it gets weirder ... finally got Ch. 13 to accept page 161 as the correct page number for the start of the chapter. The page numbers in the chapter went 161, 162, 163, 164, 1, 2 ,3, ....

I have never encountered anything like it ....

Thomas

• 3. Re: Indexing - shifting page numbers

Maybe there are some custom section starts on some of your pages. Either that, or you have a slightly corrupt document. (If there are not any custom section starts, export there problem file as an IDML)

• 4. Re: Indexing - shifting page numbers
                Roy E Level 1

Two questions: i) What is the significance is an IDML file? ii) I have been using ID for years and I have never encountered anything like what is going on. If I change the page numbers in ch. 12 it may or may not change the page numbers in a previous file, e.g., ch. 11. I am looking at years of work going down the tubes over page numbering....

Appreciate your assistance!

• 5. Re: Indexing - shifting page numbers

Exporting as an IDML will often fix minor file corruption. Once it's exported, open and work from he IDML - it will save as an InDesign file.   

Another thing to consider -- if these same files have been worked with and updated for many years, it would be a good idea to save out all the files as IDML, and link them in a new book file. Lots of little bits of trash can accumulate as a file is saved and re-saved over time.

• 6. Re: Indexing - shifting page numbers
                    Roy E Level 1

Tried a test of 10 chapters. Changed each to IDML files and than saved in INDD. When I individually/manually number each chapter it all works. I then placed the files in a book and set them up for section numbering and automatic numbering. No problem with the first five files/chapters. The fifth chapter started on 35 and went 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 35, 36.

I've been working with ID for years now. Never had a problem like this. Is there a way to check for a section break within a chapter.document?

• 7. Re: Indexing - shifting page numbers

Look for a small triangle above the page that starts the renumbering.  Double-clicking on it will bring up the Sections and Numbering dialog.

Screenshot 2015-10-15 08.18.59.png Screenshot 2015-10-15 08.19.24.png

• 8. Re: Indexing - shifting page numbers
                        Roy E Level 1

Hello again!

Once again when saving the book after working on Indexing the page

numbers shifted, and they were thoroughly before starting the

session. What is so very curious is I have used ID for some years now

and QuarkXpress before it. Have never known page numbers to

essentially change on their own. I use Sections and Numbering. But, I

am not familiar with the "mall triangle above the page". Just where

is it?

Thank you for your help ...

Thomas

[Email duplicates removed by moderator]

• 9. Re: Indexing - shifting page numbers

In the image attached to my previous reply, look just above the page marked as 35. There is a tiny grey rectangle just above the page icon. Double-click on it to bring up the dialog.