9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 9:22 AM by robertb72406617

Delete project media

robertb72406617

I can't find anything in the manual about freeing space on the hard drive after completing a project.

• 1. Re: Delete project media
          A.T. Romano Level 7

robertb

Please review the following on deleting project when you decide that you do not need it any longer.

Delete a project | Premiere Elements

We can go into any details that need clarification.

We can also talk about how to set up a new project so that the project and its assets go in one folder on the hard drive to make it easier when it comes time to delete the project and its non shared assets.

Just be sure not to delete source media that is in the project to be deleted but that is still needed in another project that you do want.

ATR

• 2. Re: Delete project media
            robertb72406617 Level 1

Many thanks; you've been a great help. I thought Adobe would have a command to chase down all those files. I have an Ultrabook with a very fast, but fairly full hard drive. I bought a 150G USB3 drive that I'm planning to use for the scratch disk. If you are interested, I'll let you know how it works. Do you know if it would be much slower than using the C drive?

• 3. Re: Delete project media
              A.T. Romano Level 7

robertb

Thanks for the follow up.

Did you find the data transfer rates in your USB 3 150 GB external hard drive?

I am still using USB 2 external hard drives in conjunction with Premiere Elements Windows and have not run into an problems in the Premiere Elements workflows.

Please take a look at the following online article which I post for its information only...please maneuver past the pop up.

How to Buy an External Hard Drive | PCMag.com

It talks about drive speed - 7200 rpm and 5400 rpm.

Looking forward to learning of your progress as your time permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Delete project media
                robertb72406617 Level 1

It's good that you asked about USB speeds. I found the following: USB 3.0 speed: real and imagined | PCWorld. Evidently neither the 3 or 2 chips live up to anywhere near the USB specs. I haven't made anyspeed comparisons with the large hard drives,but the flash drives have gotten quite cheep; I paid $30 for the 128GB drive.

All the best,

robert

• 5. Re: Delete project media
                  robertb72406617 Level 1

ATR,Turns out it doesn't matter what the speed of a USB drive is; Premiere doesn't allow removable drives to be used as scratch drives. Short of buying a new computer, I'll have to do projects serially, copy them off and then delete them. Putting everything into one folder will greatly simplify matters, and so I would be grateful for your advice. I assume all the scratch files should in the folder and then ????All the best,RobertB

• 6. Re: Delete project media
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Thanks for the follow up.

Where are you getting your information that "Premiere doesn't allow removable drives to be used as scratch drives."

I have pointed the Premiere Elements Scratch Disks to external hard drive without issue. If you have a plug and play external hard drive and are continually plugging and unplugging the external hard drive, you should watch the drive letter to catch it if it decides to change drive letter. Some people have assigned a drive letter with a letter toward the end of the alphabet to minimize that type of issue (See Computer/Manage/Storage/Disk Management).

Have you seen the Adobe document on Scratch Disks.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/scratch-disks.html

I see nothing in it that says that you cannot point the Scratch Disks to an external hard drive.

Please consider. Please let me know the reference that led you to the conclusion that "Premiere doesn't allow removable drives to be used as scratch drives." Was that a Premiere Elements reference?

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Delete project media
                      robertb72406617 Level 1

ATR,Thanks for all your help; I did click "Correct" on the thread.The scratch disk issue is weird. I've been setting /Edit/Preferences/scratch disks../Captured Video and Browse to \Computer\G:.  get the error message "The location you have chosen is a removeable drive. Please choose another location" (the same message appears for other scratch disks) I installed a USB hard drive (E:) and it works fine. I tried a 16GB flash drive on E: and get the same error message.You solved my problem; I can just go with the hard drive. Many thanks. Since other might have the same problem, should we enter it into the forum?Robert

• 8. Re: Delete project media
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Thanks for the follow ups.

Are you replying to the questions and answers in your thread using the email notifications? If so, those messages do not go between just you and I, they are published by Adobe in your thread in the public Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. So, all the details that we have been discussing are in your thread for all those seeking answers to see.

I will do some investigating to try to determine what is happening with regard to Captured Video and those scratch discs.

When do you get those error messages associated with Scratch Disk/Captured Video and your G drive....when you are not doing - a DV or HDV capture firewire into Premiere Elements capture window and you have Captured Video set to your external drive or do you get the message just by setting the Scratch Disk/Captured Video to an external drive. Maybe I best make the distinction between the external hard drive and the USB flash drive.

I will see what additional information I can find. My major concern is that you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

As always

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Delete project media
                          robertb72406617 Level 1

ATR,I get the error message when setting up a new project; it is the first thing I do after responding to the prompts. I don't do HDV capture. My camera is AVCHD and uses SDHC chips that can be plugged into the computer. BTW, the error messages occur in both 11 and 14.Thanks again,Robert