5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 8:59 AM by Davesink

Can't find the marquee-selection tool

Davesink Level 1

I need to seIect a set of individual points in a shape layer which are too close together to select individually.  I found this earlier post (https://forums.adobe.com/message/6567125#expires_in=86399993&token_type=bearer&access_toke n=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dSI6…) that said basically that there isn't one. Yet in the Adobe After Effects help it says "To select vertices by dragging, select a path or portion of a path to enter path-editing mode, and then drag with the marquee-selection tool to draw a marquee-selection box around the vertices to select."

All I see in the tool bar is the arrow selection tool. So where is the marquee-selection tool hiding? Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Can't find the marquee-selection tool
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Zoom in to give yourself a fighting chance to select the ones you want.

• 2. Re: Can't find the marquee-selection tool
            Davesink Level 1

Thanks, Dave. I'm doing just that and having some success, but the question remains, why does Adobe specifically mention a 'marquee-selection tool' in their help file when none seems to be present?

• 3. Re: Can't find the marquee-selection tool
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Try highlighting the shape layer and then hitting the v key to call up the general selection tool.

• 4. Re: Can't find the marquee-selection tool
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this:

• Select your shape layer or mask layer in the timeline
                • Bring up the Pen tool by pressing the g key
                • Use the Alt/Option and Ctrl/Cmnd key to change the operation of the pen tool. Holding down the Ctrl/Cmnd key will change the pen tool from the pen to the selection tool
                • When the pen tool is selected and you hover over a path the add new point tool appears
                • When the pen tool is selected and you hover over a point the pen tool changes to a black arrow selection tool that will select the point
                • When the pen tool is selected and you hover over a point and the Ctrl/Cmnd key is pressed the pen tool changes to the subtract point tool
                • When the pen tool is selected and you over a point and the Alt/Option key is pressed the pen tool changes to the Convert point tool (open sideways V)
                • When the pen tool is selected and you hover over a line segment and the Ctrl/Cmnd key is pressed the pen tool changes to the selection tool (solid arrow) and you can select and adjust the line segment
                • When the pen tool is selected and you hover over an anything but a point or a path and you hold the Ctrl/Cmnd key the pen tool changes to the marquis selection tool (a white arrow) and you can select multiple points by clicking and dragging
                • If the path is not visible because the layer or the shape is not selected and you have the pen tool selected and you press the Ctrl/Cmnd key the pen tool changes to the standard selection tool so you can select the layer or the path
                • If all of the points on the path are selected you must hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key to change the selection tool to the direct selection tool (white arrow with a tail) to select a point or a line segment

It just takes a little getting used to but it is very easy to select points, lines, and marque select parts of a path or mask using the pen tool and modifier keys.

• 5. Re: Can't find the marquee-selection tool
                  Davesink Level 1

Thanks all! Here's what I've come up with:

The key is entering into "point editing mode" which is done most easily by double clicking on a shape layer with the selection tool, THEN selecting an individual point. From there, the selection tool turns into a marquee-selection tool and can be dragged to select points.

Alternately twirling down the shape Shape Layer>Contents>Shape and clicking on 'Path' also gets you to path editing mode.

No doubt stuff that more experienced users have long known, but took me a while. Thanks all!