Zoom in to give yourself a fighting chance to select the ones you want.
Thanks, Dave. I'm doing just that and having some success, but the question remains, why does Adobe specifically mention a 'marquee-selection tool' in their help file when none seems to be present?
Try highlighting the shape layer and then hitting the v key to call up the general selection tool.
- Select your shape layer or mask layer in the timeline
- Bring up the Pen tool by pressing the g key
- Use the Alt/Option and Ctrl/Cmnd key to change the operation of the pen tool. Holding down the Ctrl/Cmnd key will change the pen tool from the pen to the selection tool
- When the pen tool is selected and you hover over a path the add new point tool appears
- When the pen tool is selected and you hover over a point the pen tool changes to a black arrow selection tool that will select the point
- When the pen tool is selected and you hover over a point and the Ctrl/Cmnd key is pressed the pen tool changes to the subtract point tool
- When the pen tool is selected and you over a point and the Alt/Option key is pressed the pen tool changes to the Convert point tool (open sideways V)
- When the pen tool is selected and you hover over a line segment and the Ctrl/Cmnd key is pressed the pen tool changes to the selection tool (solid arrow) and you can select and adjust the line segment
- When the pen tool is selected and you hover over an anything but a point or a path and you hold the Ctrl/Cmnd key the pen tool changes to the marquis selection tool (a white arrow) and you can select multiple points by clicking and dragging
- If the path is not visible because the layer or the shape is not selected and you have the pen tool selected and you press the Ctrl/Cmnd key the pen tool changes to the standard selection tool so you can select the layer or the path
- If all of the points on the path are selected you must hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key to change the selection tool to the direct selection tool (white arrow with a tail) to select a point or a line segment
It just takes a little getting used to but it is very easy to select points, lines, and marque select parts of a path or mask using the pen tool and modifier keys.
Thanks all! Here's what I've come up with:
The key is entering into "point editing mode" which is done most easily by double clicking on a shape layer with the selection tool, THEN selecting an individual point. From there, the selection tool turns into a marquee-selection tool and can be dragged to select points.
Alternately twirling down the shape Shape Layer>Contents>Shape and clicking on 'Path' also gets you to path editing mode.
No doubt stuff that more experienced users have long known, but took me a while. Thanks all!