8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2015 3:05 PM by Chetna Srivastava

Most recent import yields no previews??

kenm94115611

Hi, I have been using LR 5 for a couple years now. Most recently on a previously imported shoot I was editing it and was converting to B+W and it was taking a while for the changes to show up while moving between them and they weren't showing up as B+W at all in the filmstrip.

BUT, now I just imported a new shoot and there are NO thumbnails at all showing up either in Grid or the filmstrip. When I try to build previews the task bar just hangs at "1 0f ___". Why is this happening and how do I change it!?? Thanks very much and I lok forward to your response.

Ken

• 1. Re: Most recent import yields no previews??
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi kenm94115611,

Greetings.

• Which version of LR are you using.
          • What is the source of the import.
          • Try copying the files on desktop and then import them into LR(only if you were importing from SD card or Camera directly)
          • If the above step do not work reset references of LR and then restart the computer and try again.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Most recent import yields no previews??
            kenm94115611 Level 1

Thank You for your response.

- I'm using LR 5.5 64 bit

- I'm importing via the CF cards I shot in the Canon 5D mk3's I shot with. I'm putting the CF cards into CF readers and importing from there. Like I have with almost every shoot for years.

Should I do your 3rd bullet point about copying to desktop if I'm using CF cards and CF card readers? - I wouldn't want to have to do this with every shoot though anyway.

• 3. Re: Most recent import yields no previews??

Hi kenm94115611,

Regards

Rohit

• 4. Re: Most recent import yields no previews??
                kenm94115611 Level 1

ok, should I update LR first, then restart, then re-import??

Should I remove the shoot from the catalog then re-import them from their current location - the external hard drive(NOT delete the images from the external hard drive where the images are now are? - when I imported the images they all made it to the external hard drive destination, the previews for them are just not showing up in LR) ??

• 5. Re: Most recent import yields no previews??

Hi again,

1. Update LR.
                  2. Restart Computer.
                  3. Remove the shoot from LR(do not delete images from Drive)
                  4. Re-import the images into LR again.

Regards

Rohit

• 6. Re: Most recent import yields no previews??
                    kenm94115611 Level 1

Thanks for the clear reply.

I followed all steps: Updated LR, restarted, removed the shoot from the LR catalog but did not remove the images, reimported the images from their present location and in the import dialogue, the images were visible, but once I started the import, they were not. The import has finished but the "Building Standard Previews" part of the import, the task bar says "1 of 1983" and doesn't move Still. And I have 1983 gray boxes instead of images.

Why is it doing this all of a sudden? What should I do from here?

• 7. Re: Most recent import yields no previews??
                      kenm94115611 Level 1

Also, I just was browsing through a shoot I just exported and uploaded to my client proofing service yesterday through a LR plugin they have and when I changed a sort criteria (star rating) an error popped up saying:

"Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit.  - Lightroom will attempt to fix this problem the next time it launches."

I just exported this shoot yesterday after finishing editing it, but I SHOT it 3 weeks ago and imported it fine 3 weeks ago.

The last shoot I SHOT (a few days ago) I shot tethered to my laptop computer (where the catalog lives) and imported into my master catalog as I shot it tethered but with the images going onto the desktop and not direct to the external hard drive that I usually import to and where all images live. After the shoot I moved the images within the catalog to the external hard drive. When I flip through this shoot, any edits (like making images black and white) don't show up in Film Strip and in Library module it will take forever to load the edited version of the image. 

What do we think here?? Thank You.

• 8. Re: Most recent import yields no previews??
                        Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi kenm94115611,

thank you for the update.

It seems like the previews cache file has got corrupted.

Would suggest you to do the following steps:

1. Quit Lightroom

2. Go to the location where your Lightroom Catalog is stored and rename the Previews.lrdata file to Previews-old.lrdata and rename Smart Previews.lrdata to Smart Previews-old.lrdata

3. Launch Lightroom again

4. Select the images for which you want to generate smart preview and go to Library menu> Previews> Build Smart Previews

Regards,

Chetna