4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2006 4:17 PM by Newsgroup_User

Copying Files from CD to HD

Scotty T.H. Level 1
      I'm currently using Buddy API to build a simple installer for our director projects. I suspect our company only has the free version and this may be part of my problem. Is there a way to find out what version we have installed?

The problem is two fold.

The first: After creating the desired folders on the HD we use baXCopy to copy files from a CD to the HD and works perfectly on a mac but ... it is copying folders and xtras over but not the director dir files, flash files or projector files to the PC.

The second: When creating a shortcut using baMakeShortcut on the PC desktop I get a message saying we have exceeded the number of licensed functions. (doesn't happen on the mac) Would this be because we possibly have a free version or because the file for the shortcut to link to hasn't been copied over?

Can anyone help me out of this jam.
      Cheers

• 1. Re: Copying Files from CD to HD
          Level 7

> The first: After creating the desired folders on the HD we use baXCopy to copy
          > files from a CD to the HD and works perfectly on a mac but ... it is copying
          > folders and xtras over but not the director dir files, flash files or projector
          > files to the PC.
          > set checkStatus = baXCopy(copyFrom, copyTo, "*." & extension, "Always",
          > false)

The 3rd argument of baXCopy is the FileSpec. It tells the command which
          files to copy. You have it set to "*." & extension. That means it will
          copy all the files that have the file extension that you have stored in
          member("ExField").text (which is what extension is set to). I bet if
          you changed that field to "*" instead of whatever it is now, it will
          work better.

> The second: When creating a shortcut using baMakeShortcut on the PC desktop I
          > get a message saying we have exceeded the number of licensed functions.
          > (doesn't happen on the mac) Would this be because we possibly have a free
          > version or because the file for the shortcut to link to hasn't been copied over?

This is definitely because you have not registered the xtra. If your
          company has a registration code for it (i.e. they have paid for it),
          then use this command to register it:

baRegister( "My name" , 111111 )

Obviously, substitute the real info in there for the name and the
          license key.

The unlicensed version can only be used twice in any projector before
          throwing that error. You can freely use 1 or 2 functions, but you need
          to buy it in order to use more.
          • 2. Copying Files from CD to HD
            Lukewig Level 1
            Hi,

Mike has answered your question - but I thought I'd mention that you can't rely on Mac users not renaming their hard-drive. So rather than 'hard-coding' the destination path, use BuddyAPI's basysfolder() function - eg

• 3. Re: Copying Files from CD to HD
              Scotty T.H. Level 1
              Thanks all ... really appreciate your help.
              • 4. Re: Copying Files from CD to HD
                Level 7
                On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:27:40 GMT, Scotty T.H. posted in
                macromedia.director.lingo:

> Thanks all ... really appreciate your help.

BTW, there's a function that can give you the information you seek:

put baAbout()

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)