12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 3:31 AM by Peter Spier

Assigned master pages error?

CarolineX Level 1

Hi,

I just got help from Peter Spiel and joet082964 on creating master pages for a complicated photo book on another thread.

It worked perfectly, but now the original master pages that I had set up with the sequential page numbers on are no longer working.  Is it not possible to assign 2 master pages to individual pages?

The original thread was to help me assign blocks of coloured borders to groups of pages and I have created 6 extra master pages with the border frames on and assigned them to run through every 6 pages of the book (109 pages).  I still have the master pages with numbering set up, but when I apply them to all pages it cancels out the other master pages!

It's going to get more complicated if I have to add page numbers to each of the sets of borders, as they apply to blocks of pages.....

HELP PLEASE

• 1. Re: Assigned master pages error?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Each document page can only have one master page assigned to it. 

Is there a reason you can't add the automatic page numbers to you new master pages?

• 3. Re: Assigned master pages error?
            CarolineX Level 1

Thank you!  Well, I have to finish this tonight...  have never done this before and thought that the page numbers would just stay as they were before....

As each new master I already created is assigned to blocks of 6 double spread pages, ie. master 2 to pages 2, 12, 22 etc, master 3 to pages 3, 13, 23 etc, and so on, if I add page numbering to each new master then won't it superimpose the numbering each time?

I think I will start again as you suggested as it makes sense now you tell me only one master can be assigned per page.  So in the other thread you suggest the first master not being assigned to any pages, so I'll do that.

I did notice one thing though - when I did a try-out by only assigning a border to pages 2 and 12 just to see if it worked (it did) when I went back to assign the further sequential numbers it was blank and I had to put them all in again.  I thought the previous page assignment would still be there and I'd just have to continuing adding page numbers from 12.  Do you see what I mean?

Is this normal?

• 4. Re: Assigned master pages error?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Since we can't see your pages it's pretty hard to tell what's going on. That said, if you change the master page assigned, only the content that is actually on the assigned master is going to show, so unless each master has a page number marker, you won't see numbers on every page.

The other thing to watch for is stacking order. I think you are going to need at least two layers for this, with your color borders on the bottom layer and everything else on the top, otherwise the borders will cover the numbers. On any given layer, master objects are behind the page objects, so master page objects will be behind new content you add on a document page on the same layer, and new content you add to a master page based on another master page will also be in front of any objects from the original master on the same layer.

• 5. Re: Assigned master pages error?
                SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CarolineX wrote:

I thought the previous page assignment would still be there and I'd just have to continuing adding page numbers from 12.  Do you see what I mean?

Is this normal?

I'm not clear on how you are adding your page numbers. Are you using the auto-page number function?

on the master page, it would show just a letter, and on the document pages, it would pick up the page number from the pages pallet.

Screenshot 2015-10-14 16.12.41.png     Screenshot 2015-10-14 16.13.02.png

master                                  document

• 6. Re: Assigned master pages error?
                  CarolineX Level 1

ok, I have first my master page set up using the auto-page numbering function (showing just a letter) and set it so that it would show in the bottom corner above the border, so not be obscured.

A few pages had photos showing over the border, so I adjusted the new border masters to 'send to front'.  That is not a problem, I can adjust the overlapping photos and re-set the borders to send to back.

But, that doesn't sort out the problem of the numbering - they numbering disappeared as soon as I assigned the new frame borders to groups of pages.

Unfortunately, something more pressing has occurred in the meantime.  I was placing a photo which gave the error message that it might be corrupted.  This has happened before and I just open it in PS and re-save it.  BUT, I just went to my page number master to check it out straight after this happened, as I saw your message - and now I keep getting the same error message for ALL the photos in my book (there are 100s) and each one as I click the OK to the error box, blacks out my photo frames!  I am basically losing them all..... OMG.  I think I should just exit without saving (I save as I go along once everything is ok).

Hoping this is just caused by processer usage as I have PS, Word ID and other stuff open at the same time.... or do you know what I could have done?

Sorry about this,

• 7. Re: Assigned master pages error?

Exit without saving and reboot and hopefully things will be ok in the last saved version. Also see Remove minor corruption by exporting

For your numbers, add another layer in the Layers panel and put it above everything else. Put your page numbers on that.

Your document should have three, perhaps 4 layers at this point:

Page Numbers

Other text

Photos (this one is optional, but it will be easy to stay organized if photos are on a layer below text)

Background (for your colored border -- you may be able to put photos on this layer too)

• 8. Re: Assigned master pages error?
                      CarolineX Level 1

Thanks Peter.  All ok on restart! Phew.  Right, not used layers before, so yes sounds good to have a layer with numbering on - just to clarify, that is nothing to do with the master pages, yes?  I think I'll completely finish everything and then create the new layer at the end with the page numbering.

Thanks for your patience. :-)

• 9. Re: Assigned master pages error?

Layers are global (appear on every page), so all you need to do is open the base master that you used to base the others on, add the new layer to the top of the stack, select the frames with your number markers, and in the Layers panel drag the little highlighted square that will appear up to the new layer. It's no big deal.

• 10. Re: Assigned master pages error?
                          CarolineX Level 1

Yay.  All done.

Peter, thanks so much for your help.  Late here so am off to sleep, thanks again. You have a lovely day.

• 11. Re: Assigned master pages error?
                            CarolineX Level 1

Hi Peter,

I finished the book - all looks lovely thanks again - but was up half the night as I needed a pdf of it and separate pgs.

First it would not convert to pdf, got so far then an error message about a corrupted jpg (no error messages in ID and all links good); Eventually I got a pdf but then discovered that on some of the pages photos were completely missing!  Not even the same page as previous corrupted jpg message.

I spent ages saving then ago, reducing size, and relinking them but they still disappeared upon conversion; same problem with making jpgs - took forever and failed a third of the way; I cleared cache, restarted computer, tried print to pdf, export to pdf (all choices); nothing worked; searched internet for similar problems (checked and unchecked various boxes in preferences/accessibility) - nothing worked.  Now no-one can see the finished book properly as the one pdf I managed to get has bits missing.....

Just telling you this really as you seem very knowledgeable in ID and perhaps encountered this before?

• 12. Re: Assigned master pages error?

We've been seeing some reports of trouble exporting to PDF with CC 2015 and with El Capitan, I think. There are also apparently some bugs in some versions of Acrobat and Reader.

I would try an export to IDML to clean the file (see Remove minor corruption by exporting) and the best advice for troubleshooting this sort of problem that I know is at Adobe Community: File Crashing on Output - printing/PDF/other