9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2015 2:09 AM by khatwani

Lightroom keeps stop responding

mickhick

Suddenly Lightroom keeps freezing on me for instance when I switch from Library to Develop. All I can do is to use Task Manager to end the process and then restart Lightroom. It used to be fine and this has only started to happen over the past couple of weeks. My PC is running Windows 10 and has 8GB of memory.  All other programs are working Ok. Anyone any ideas?

• 1. Re: Lightroom keeps stop responding
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi mickhick,

Greetings!!!

Try these steps

Open Lightroom

Click Edit -> Preferences -> Performance

Uncheck Use Graphic Processor.

Click Ok

Close Lightroom and re-open that.

If the above steps do not work, try this

Open Lightroom

Click Edit -> Preferences -> File handling

Increase the cache size by 30 Gb and also click on Purge cache both video and image.

Do not increase the video cache limit.

Click Ok

Close Lightroom and reopen that.

Now try

Regards

Jitendra

• 2. Re: Lightroom keeps stop responding
            deanreardon Level 1

I have the same issues:

I don't have the issue when going from Library to Develop. But I upgraded to Win 10 this weekend and now have other issues. I am upgraded to the very latest version of Lightroom CC 2015:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.2.1 [ 1046594 ]

1. When I crop and rotate, it works but then the program freezes as soon as I try to do anything else.

a) The title bar indicates the program is "Not Responding"

b) The entire Lightroom window turns completely black (except title bar)

a) it is caught in some type of loop because my APU is running at 28% for Lightroom when frozen.
            2. I can't turn off the "AMD Radeon Graphics" because Lightroom freezes when I click it.

3. I tried changing the file handling and purge but still have the issue with the crop and rotate. It occurs with either crop or rotate or doing both.

Also, I was in Bridge and used the "Camera Raw" to photo edit a picture (was a large jpg) and it also froze "Camera Raw/Photoshop" when I also used the rotate/crop

I tried a photo crop/rotate in a non-adobe product and had no issues

• 3. Re: Lightroom keeps stop responding
              mickhick Level 1

Thanks, that appears to have worked although it froze every time that I tried to change the preference   so had to uninstall Lightroom and then reinstall it. Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Lightroom keeps stop responding

You are Welcome

• 5. Re: Lightroom keeps stop responding
                  deanreardon Level 1

I just tried uninstalling and then installing again. Same issue....program freezes with crop/rotate.

• 6. Re: Lightroom keeps stop responding

Hi deanreardon,

Greetings!!!

I read the issue that you have written.

That is an AMD graphic driver issue.

Please go to the AMD website and download the auto detect utility and check for any update.

Here is the link for that :Download Drivers

Alternatively you can try temporary disabling the AMD graphic card from device manager and then check Lightroom.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards

Jitendra

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Lightroom keeps stop responding
                      deanreardon Level 1

I am completely up to date with my AMD graphics drivers, Win 10 versions, Lightroom versions. I still get the freeze. I even attempted to create a new catalog, load a few pics in, rotate/crop.......program freezes.

And the AMD catalysts provides no way to "disable" the graphics...nor disable for select programs. I do not have a graphics card...I have an APU with the graphics built into the CPU.

And I mean no offense since you have tried to help. But how is it an AMD issue, when Lightroom was working fine before my upgrade to Win 10 but now crashes/freezes after I upgraded. I was running the same Radeon drivers (the latest version) before the Win 10 upgrade and Lightroom was working just fine. Seems to me this is an Adobe problem, not AMD. I'm paying monthly for the use of a program....and it's not working as advertised.

• 8. Re: Lightroom keeps stop responding
                        deanreardon Level 1

Solved!

As I said, you have tried to help. I reread your post and went into the Windows 10 control panel, Devices, Device Manager and disabled my graphics controller.

Loaded Lightroom (LR) and had NO crop/rotation issue! (Thanks for your help here).

I then when under LR preferences, unchecked the Radeon Graphics (no freeze). Then shut down LR, re-enabled my graphics control in Device Manager. Then reloaded LR, did a crop/rotate.....NO issue!

Thanks again for the work around.

Hopefully I have no other issues in my other CC programs.

• 9. Re: Lightroom keeps stop responding

Hi

Thanks for replying.

I am happy that the issue has been resolved however please  try checking for updates of AMD drivers.

After we uncheck the graphic processor from lightroom that means we are asking Lightroom not to use Graphic Card.

Regards

Jitendra