4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 3:14 PM by olivemaniac

Disk size, disk speed and workflow for video editing?

olivemaniac Level 1

I want to edit video in 1080p/24 taken from up to four Canon DSLRs and do multi camera editing. This will usually be social and corporate events, so I anticipate that total raw footage will be under 300GB in size per event. My current computer (Q6600-based PC) can't seem to handle this very well, so I am buying a new computer. In fact, I've bought all parts except for storage because I haven't determined what the best setup would be. I need your help with this please! What is a good workflow for producing video of an event? And what would my disk setup for this computer be?

Here is what I came up with so far.

First, I put the OS and programs on a small SSD. I have a 128GB Crucial MX100 from the old system. Done!

Now for the hard part - the workflow. I think that after I have the video from an event, I'd want to save it to the computer and back it up. I'd like to save the raw footage even after I deliver the final product. So I'm thinking that I need lots of redundant space. So I'm thinking 2 x 3TB in RAID 1 for this.

I think that having this as a media drive would slow me down during the editing process, so a fast SSD might be good here. Let's say a 256GB Crucial or Samsung SSD. I would copy the media from the RAID 1 drive to this drive, so it would be a working copy. Once the project is done, I'd delete all media and copy the next project's media files here.

Once I've finished the editing of the video, I would export it to another drive. I don't think it needs to be too large, but sequential write speed should be fast. From my previous system, I have an external 3TB drive (Buffalo Drivestation, USB3.0) that I can use. I also have a WD Blue 1TB that I can put in RAID 0 if I buy a second one. Would that work better?

Does this make sense? Have I missed anything?

• 1. Re: Disk size, disk speed and workflow for video editing?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What parts have you already.  Unless we know we can only guess.  Yes you shoud definitely be using SSD;s for your editing but we have to know more about your motherboard before we can help.

• 2. Re: Disk size, disk speed and workflow for video editing?
            olivemaniac Level 1

Hi Bill! Thanks for helping me.

Here is what I have, including the drives from my previous computer. I've added a link to the motherboard product page in case you need to look at the specs.

ComponentSelection
            CPUIntel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
            CPU CoolerCorsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
            MotherboardMSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
            MemoryCorsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
            StorageKingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
            Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
            Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
            Video CardEVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
            CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
            Power SupplyEVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
            Optical DriveLG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
            Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)
            Wireless Network AdapterTP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
            MonitorDell P2815Q 30Hz 28.0" Monitor
            External StorageBuffalo Technology DriveStation 3TB External Hard Drive

Keep in mind that I will keep my old computer so I'll need at least one drive in that, so I can't use all the drives in the new system.

• 3. Re: Disk size, disk speed and workflow for video editing?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The most important storage element for your system is to buy either a Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 SSD or wait a few weeks until the Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512 GB SSD is available and install either on your motherboard in the M.2 socket.  I would then use it for all of your current project files.  When you have finished that project archive it to your hard drive or external drive.  If you ever need multiple projects live you could add another standard 6 Gbps SATA III SSD for intermediate staging, or as I am doing on my X99 system get yourself a Samsung T1 512 GB USB3 Flash Drive. It will be about 2x faster than your WD Blue or your Buffalo drive.  With your Crucial MX100 being 128 GB you will just have to frequently clean the Adobe "Media Cache" and "Media Cache Files" folders which by default go to the C: drive to prevent them become excessive large.  These are just temporary files that will get recreated if you access an older project.  In this case frequent probably means when you change projects.

Here are Crystal Disk Mark tests of first my SM951 in my X99, i7-5960X, 64 GB, computer and second the Samsung T1, USB 3.0, 512 GB, Flash Drive

.In Premiere with our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) with the disk intensive timeline test I can actually write to the SM951 at 1500MB/s.

I actually use the USB 3.0 Samsung T1 on my laptop for all my editing and then most of the time take it to my X99 for export and disc making.  As you can see for large sequential files it is twice as fast as any hard drives and has no fall-off in speed as it fills like hard disk drive do.

• 4. Re: Disk size, disk speed and workflow for video editing?
                olivemaniac Level 1

Thank you for the detailed recommendation Bill!

I am in awe of the sequential transfer speed of that m.2 drive. I will keep an eye out for that 950 Pro. I think it will be a big improvement over what I've been using so far, but then so will all the other parts I'm buying.

Once I've put the parts together, I'll be sure to run some benchmarks to find any bottlenecks. I'm thinking that the 16GB of RAM might need to be increased. Would you agree?