4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 9:28 AM by A.T. Romano

How to change the format from 4:3 to 16:9 in premiere elements 12? In finnish: Miten vaihtaa klipin kuvasuhde 4:3 :sta 16:9 :een?

sirkkuk69214568

How to change the format from 4:3 to 16:9 in premiere elements 12?

• 1. Re: How to change the format from 4:3 to 16:9 in premiere elements 12? In finnish: Miten vaihtaa klipin kuvasuhde 4:3 :sta 16:9 :een?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your project setting will be based on the characteristics of the first video clip you add to your timeline. If you place a 4:3 video at the beginning of your timeline, your project will be 4:3.

You can also manually set up a project to 4:3 or whatever specs you'd like.

I show you how to do this in Part 1 of my free 8 Part Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorials.

*** Basic Training for Premiere Elements ***

• 2. Re: How to change the format from 4:3 to 16:9 in premiere elements 12? In finnish: Miten vaihtaa klipin kuvasuhde 4:3 :sta 16:9 :een?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

sirkkuk

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Now to your immediate questions....consider

1. Open your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to the Expert workspace and set the project preset manually using File Menu/New/Project and the following steps.

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
            • In Change Settings, set the project preset to appropriate 16:9 project preset. OK out of there.
            • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
            • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

If you have a PAL DV Standard 4:3 source or a GoPro 1280 x 960 4:3 source, then set the project preset to PAL DV Widescreen.

After you drag your import into the Timeline, scale 4:3 to fit the 16:9 space in the Edit area monitor. (click the monitor to bring up the image's bounding box, and then click drag on one of the handles of the bounding box for the scaling just to the point where black borders are gone. The end result will not be distorted but may or may not be satisfactory, but best for what you want to do if you do not want black borders in the end product display.

Tip: If you want to scale width or height separately, highlight the Timeline image, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and remove the check mark next to Constrain Proportions. But avoid image distortions in using this.

and

The suggested workflow is done without the preference Default Scale to Frame Size enabled. To avoid the program's automatic intervention in trying to scale the image, this preference can be disabled in Edit Menu/Preferences/General before import of the video or afterward on the Timeline by right clicking the video and removing the check mark next to Scale to Frame Size in the pop up menu that appears as a result of the right click. Then you do the scaling of the imported image yourself. More information on this preference if needed.

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How to change the format from 4:3 to 16:9 in premiere elements 12? In finnish: Miten vaihtaa klipin kuvasuhde 4:3 :sta 16:9 :een?
              sirkkuk69214568 Level 1

Thank you very much.

I have another question about:

All the material is very sharp in editproject, but when I render it, the quality isn't that good enough anymore. And then when I also load it to You Tube, it becomes more bad again. I Mean, pixels are not correct anymore, it itsn'nt as sharp as in original material.

I'm using for rendering:  F4VHD 720p (Flash 9 and higher)

I tried to find how t if i can send the projeckt straight to You Tube and I found this site: Export MP4 Video for YouTube & Vimeo | Adobe Premiere Pro

But in my Premiere 12 this 'file and export' is not active. It is there, but it isn't actice.

here is the properties of a clip.

20151022_121225[1].jpg

And then my choice for rendering.

20151022_121313[1].jpg

• 4. Re: How to change the format from 4:3 to 16:9 in premiere elements 12? In finnish: Miten vaihtaa klipin kuvasuhde 4:3 :sta 16:9 :een?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

sirkkuk

Thanks for the reply with the important screenshot information.

Please try the following...

Given you are starting with 1280 x 720 @ 25 progressive frames per second

Open Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to the Expert workspace.

Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. Please following the steps to set the project preset manually to

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE HD720p25

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the project preset mentioned above. OK out of there.
                • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your file to the Timeline.

When finished in the Edit area, go to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and set Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25. And, save the export to the computer hard drive at the location that you want. Then upload that file from there to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

If the estimated file size and duration of the upload is less than 2 GB/15 minutes, have you tried the upload of the Timeline content to YouTube using the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 built in YouTube feature and preset = PAL High Definition Video for YouTube - 1920 x 1080

using Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube?

Please consider. If any questions or if you need clarification or if I did not target your question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR