2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 4:07 PM by Brett N

LR CC 2015.1.2 an insult to working pros

feriiiphoto

This dumbed down version of LR is ridiculous.

The Import dialogue is unrecognizable, not in its interface (which it is), but in it's stripped down capabilities.

After over an hour with Tech support I am now able to copy and import all my images without the process hanging up.  Yay! (isn't that what it's supposed to do)

But what I learned is that I can no longer:

Import only RAWs and Sort by file type so I can import only RAWs and not have to sort through all the files individually - and yes, I know the setting in preferences to treat jpegs as a separate file.

Eject Card after import

Embed metadata into my RAW files

Find my existing copyright presets

And, I still don't know how I can unlink RAW and JPEG in LR and why I have a metadata warning on every newly imported image.

I've been using Adobe products for years and years, including LR, but starting w PS.  Never a complaint. I've been a big LR advocate for my professional peers, friends, family, anyone dealing with images - basically everyone these days.  But I can't remember an update or new version that was this off base.  I can only think that the updates are to dumb down the program for amateurs and hobbyists that were daunted by it's interface. Lucky them.....

• 1. Re: LR CC 2015.1.2 an insult to working pros
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi feriiiphoto,

Greetings.

Apologies for all your troubles.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: LR CC 2015.1.2 an insult to working pros
            Brett N Adobe Employee

Here are instructions on how to roll back Lightroom to the old Import interface: Instructions to roll back to a prior update version In a future update, we will be returning to the old update interface: Lightroom 6.2 Import Update

On the points you make above:

After over an hour with Tech support I am now able to copy and import all my images without the process hanging up.  Yay! (isn't that what it's supposed to do)

While the interface of the Import dialog changed, most of the underlying architecture did not. You should not see any differences in performance as a result of the update. What had to be changed to prevent the process from hanging up?

Import only RAWs and Sort by file type so I can import only RAWs and not have to sort through all the files individually - and yes, I know the setting in preferences to treat jpegs as a separate file.

The ability or modes of sorting files in the Import dialog have not changed, they are identical but have a slightly different location in the new version. Neither the old version nor the new version allow you to sort based on file type. The closest to this was sorting by Media Type, which separates videos from images:

Lightroom 5:

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 4.11.13 PM.png

Lightroom 6.2.1:

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 4.11.28 PM.png

Are you referring to something else? If so, could you please provide a screen shot of it once you've rolled back your installation?

Eject Card after import

This is known and is one of the top concerns for a future update

Embed metadata into my RAW files

It is not possible to embed metadata into raw files. Metadata can only be added to raw files through the use of XMP sidecar files. You can, on the other hand, still add metadata to the raw file instance in Lightroom when you Import. This has not changed with the new Import interface. You can still add Keywords and Metadata presets. We even added the ability to enter Copyright info, which was not available before:

Lightroom 5:

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 4.29.47 PM.png

Lightroom 6.2.1:

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 4.29.55 PM.png

Find my existing copyright presets

Any metadata presets you've created previously should show up in the new import dialog. But there isn't such a thing as a "Copyright preset". There are only metadata presets, even if they only metadata they include is copyright data. I just tested this on my side to verify and everything worked fine. If you have a metadata preset that is not showing up in the new import dialog, could you send it to use to test with? Unless you are talking about Watermark presets. But this will behave the same as Metadata presets.

And, I still don't know how I can unlink RAW and JPEG in LR and why I have a metadata warning on every newly imported image.

There is no difference between how this works in the past and how it works now. The import dialog will automatically ignore the jpeg copy of a raw/jpeg pair (shooting both formats simultaneously). As you mentioned before, this is handled by the preference option as to whether or not "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos". This option has not changed behavior with the new version.