9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 10:45 AM by johnrellis

Reverse geotag coordinates don't match up!

lkemper Level 1

If I reverse Geotag and drag an image to a location on the map I get a set of coordinates in the GPS field in the Metadata Tab in Maps. Then if I copy and past those corrdinates into the search field the search result is a different location  then where I placed the image!  It is close to the image but off by at around 50 yards or more. Anybody else notice this?

• 1. Re: Reverse geotag coordinates don't match up!
          Bob Somrak Level 5

The point you place is recorded more accurately than the coordinates displayed in the map module.  The displayed coordinates are only accurate to the nearest second.  Change the search field by one second up or down and you will see the accuracy problem.  Not a bug but Lightroom could display the coordinates to the tenth of a second and reduce this discrepancy.  There is about 100 feet difference for each second of longitude.  Latitude difference depends on where you are at,  equator about 100 feet,  the north pole 0 feet.

• 2. Re: Reverse geotag coordinates don't match up!
            lkemper Level 1

Thank you.  I am writing a guide and instead of putting the people in a parking lot, it is putting them on a roadway. Google Maps and all the other apps I can find do the same thing!

Lewis

• 3. Re: Reverse geotag coordinates don't match up!
              lkemper Level 1

Thank you.  I am writing a guide and instead of putting the people in a parking lot, it is putting them on a roadway. Google Maps and all the other apps I can find do the same thing!

Lewis

• 4. Re: Reverse geotag coordinates don't match up!
                Bob Somrak Level 5

Export the photo with GPS coordinates and then open the exporter photo in Photoshop and you will see the coordinates with accuracy of hundredths of a second is stored.  Lightroom only displays to the nearest second.  Could be easily changed in programming but not to sure how many people would need more accuracy in the display.

• 6. Re: Reverse geotag coordinates don't match up!
                  lkemper Level 1

It did show it with more accuracy but it still didn't place the search as the same place I placed the tagged image. Off by about the same distance and when I just copied and pasted from Lightroom.

• 7. Re: Reverse geotag coordinates don't match up!
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

Works for me.  The markers are almost on top of each other using the Photoshop coordinates in the search.  OS X Yosemite  Lr 2015.1.1  Also confirmed by loading the photo in another mapping program.

• 8. Re: Reverse geotag coordinates don't match up!
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                      It did show it with more accuracy but it still didn't place the search as the same place I placed the tagged image.

Perhaps you could do Metadata > Save Metadata To File on the image and then upload it to Dropbox (or similar)?  We could see if we get the same results in our LR configurations.

• 9. Re: Reverse geotag coordinates don't match up!
                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Ah, now I understand what you're referring to.  This is a manifestation of a long-standing bug, but there's a straightforward workaround for you.

Here's how to reproduce the problem.  Take the coordinates "37.386683, -122.266930" and paste them into the search box of Google maps; you'll get this location in the middle of a pond:

Untitled.png

Now paste those same coordinates into the search box of LR's Map module, and you'll get a different location in the middle of a parcel:

Untitled2.png

The problem is that when you do a search by coordinate in the LR map module, LR is showing you the location of the nearest named entity, typically a street address or a road label.  This bug was first reported over 4 years ago, but Adobe has never bothered to fix it: Lightroom: Latitude/longitude search wildly inaccurate in Map module.  Please add your vote and opinion that bug report, to make it a little more likely that Adobe might fix it someday before the next ice age.

In your case, the workaround is straightforward: Check the accuracy of GPS coordinates using Google maps, not the LR map module.  As Bob said, LR's metadata panel rounds coordinates to the nearest second, for a precision of only about 100' or 30 m.  If you need better than that, you'll have to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File to save a photo's coordinates into the file's metadata and then use third-party software (e.g. Exiftool) to read out the coordinates at higher precision.   Or just use Google maps to read out coordinates -- if you click on a location in Google maps, it will show you the coordinates to a precision of 1/3 of 1/100 of a second.