23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2015 8:30 AM by JoeKostoss

importing a raw image for editing a second time

shutrbugreader

After importing, editing, exporting, how do I import the same raw image for editing a second time? Nothing I try works.

• 1. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi shutrbugreader,

You need to rename the Image and then you can import in the same Lightroom catalog for editing.

else, you need to create new catalog to import the same image.

"Duplicate Suspected images" option has been removed in the latest update of Lightroom, that why you have try above steps to re-import the same image in Lightroom.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

You do NOT need to re-import again! (do not create new catalogs!)

Your original image file (that you imported) stays in the Lightroom catalog library. (never delete it!)

You edit in the Develop module then EXPORT from the thumbnail (as it appears) in the library grid using your desired 'export' options. (JPG, TIFF, re-size, re-name, etc)

Also you can view  and export multiple versions of the same image file by creating "Virtual Copies" in the library, and export varieties from the virtual copies.

• 3. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
              elie-d Level 4

What a terrible reply by a supposed "Staff" member, whose list of canned replies apparently does not cover this query - in itself a serious lapse. This is precisely the use for which Virtual Copies were created. One catalog, one import, endless VCs. Nor can the "Staff" claim that the VC is a recent innovation about which they have not yet been informed - it has been there since the beginning and is one of the best advantages of the database method of Raw conversion.

Lately I have been increasingly disturbed by the lack of understanding of the user's question, inadequacy of the automatic reply, and obviously limited first-hand familiarity with Lightroom  exhibited by some "Staff" members.

• 4. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Well, that's true the edited images stay's in the Lightroom catalog for the further use, now if in case the user looking to re-import the same image again for any reason, then the above post really helps.

Thanks

• 5. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

mohgoyal@adobe.com wrote:

if in case the user looking to re-import the same image again for any reason, then the above post really helps.

That's the point, Mohit - the question wasn't for "any other reason" - it was in the specific context of being able to re-edit previously imported images, for which there is no good reason to reimport.

In order to avoid confusion to (probably new) users, it's really essential that when basic questions about Lightroom use and best practice are posted, they're specifically answered - it helps nobody to go off and answer an unasked question, especially when that answer is fundamentally at odds to the best answer to the question being asked.

• 6. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's understandable that some users and even Adobe staff may be in shell-shock concerning the recent 6.2 & CC 2015.2 Import module changes. It seems to have caused a lot of confusion and misinformation spread across the board!

Back to Basics

When Image files are imported into Lightroom their physical location (on drive or volume) is written to the catalog file. The files remain visible and editable inside Lightroom until they are either removed or deleted. Please do NOT use Windows Explorer or Mac Finder to move, rename, or delete image files or folders. It will cause Lightroom to lose track of their physical location. You should only perform these operations from inside Lightroom.

As already mentioned by the other forum members 'Virtual Copies' is the correct answer. I would also suggest watching some of videos at the 2nd link below.

When to Use Virtual Copies and Snapshots in Lightroom « Julieanne Kost's Blog

More help here:

Learn Lightroom, get help and support | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5

• 7. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

trshaner wrote:

It's understandable that some users and even Adobe staff may be in shell-shock concerning the recent 6.2 & CC 2015.2 Import module changes. It seems to have caused a lot of confusion and misinformation spread across the board!

True enough, Todd - but I suspect the OP is new to Lr, rather than an old hand who has forgotten best practice because of the new Import tool (we haven't).

After all, the new dialogue doesn't actually change the underlying workflow point that once your images are in Lr, you can re-edit them to your heart's content without ever having to bring them in again.

• 8. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Keith_Reeder wrote:

True enough, Todd - but I suspect the OP is new to Lr, rather than an old hand who has forgotten best practice because of the new Import tool (we haven't).

Agreed. I was primarily referring to Mohit and just trying to cut him a little slack. It may have been a knee-jerk reaction due to all of the flack Adobe employees are receiving over the Import module changes. Thankfully those us in the user trenches aren't under pressure and can sometimes see things a little clearer.

• 9. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                          shutrbugreader Level 1

Edit in develop ??  Gee, never would have thought of that!

Question NOT answered

• 10. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                            Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What exactly are you trying to do? As said before, you can't import a photo which is already imported. You simply further edit the raw file or duplicate and edit that.

• 11. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                              shutrbugreader Level 1

Edit the same image a second time.  When I tried to access in catalog and

located the image, clicked on the image, a message is displayed that says

"file folder can not be found".  Same response when I tried to create a

virtual copy. Like I said, nothing works.

The external hard drive that I use IS plugged in.  No locations changes or

other funny business since original import and exit

Thanks

Grace and Glory,

Joel L. Southerland

RETIRED!

Romans 8:28

• 12. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time

Could you right click and choose "Show in Explorer/Finder" and verify the file indeed exists?

• 13. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                                  shutrbugreader Level 1

Right click and show in explorer brings up the following message: File

count not be used becauseoriginal file could not be found. Would you like

to locate?

Thanks

Grace and Glory,

Joel L. Southerland

RETIRED!

• 14. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time

Well, obviously the file has somehow been moved, lost association, or been deleted. You'll need to find the file and use the locate option.

• 15. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                                      shutrbugreader Level 1

Well, obviously adobe simply likes to take money in and give nothing in

return.  Always nice to not get expert advice.

Grace and Glory,

Joel L. Southerland

RETIRED!

• 16. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time

Returning to this thread-

In answer to the original question-

how do I import the same raw image for editing a second time?

You cannot! Lightroom does not allow you to import the same raw image file twice!

As long as there is a thumbnail of the image in the library catalog you cannot re-import.

As in advice from others above- you have to make LR find the file. I don't know where it is- that's your problem!

Where is the original image file now?

You can delete the preview image from the catalog (by "Remove",  NOT "Delete from Disk" !)  then import the original image again. But doing this deletes any editing, key-wording, etc, you have previously done with this image.

And I still disagree strongly from the advice from Mohit (staffer) - to start a new catalog!

Edit in develop ??  Gee, never would have thought of that!

I suspect you are being facetious here! My post also includes the word "Module". And yes that may be obvious to experienced users. Your question gives NO clues as to your experience, LR version, OS, and the tone of your question is similar to that asked by many beginners who think that LR is a browser and you 'open' and edit like Photoshop or Paint Shop.

Heed the advice of Benjamin, Keith, & Trshaner,  as in the above posts.

• 17. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                                          waynes69353070

I just want a different version processed from the RAW file to create a variation of the other already imported Jpeg. Do I need to create a RAW copy and then process that under a different name? This 'already imported dialog is killing me.

• 18. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                                            elie-d Level 4

You need to create a Virtual Copy, which is done from the right-click contextual menu or the Photo menu in the menu bar. Forgive me if you already know the following; all editing in LR is nothing more than a list of desired edits, recorded in the database (catalog) and only applied to the image data when you export a rendered image file (or print it, etc). Until then it remains several lines of text. Making a Virtual Copy merely starts a new list. A few more lines of text. The Raw file itself is not copied, hence the name "Virtual". LR adds the suffix Copy 1 to the original file name so you can distinguish between the two. You can have an endless number of VCs, each one only adds around 25 KB to the size of the catalog. I have some images with multiple VCs (Copy 1, Copy 2, etc); one may be a different edit, snappier or softer, another may be a B&W version, several can be different crops to fit different paper sizes or different soft proof VCs for different paper types. Also, at any time a VC can be made the master version and the original master becomes the VC - after all, they are both just some lines of text.

• 19. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time

Thanks Elie-d, all good.

I just want a different version

Select the preview image thumbnail in the grid and -  Press [CTRL + ' ]

That's all you have to do!

You then have another thumbnail copy in the Library grid, to edit as you wish.

It works from JPG or raw images.  (and its needless to make raw image files from JPGs).

In the shortcut key press to create a virtual copy [CTRL + ' ] the [ ' ] key also has on it the double quote symbol [ " ]- think of this as 'Ditto' - copy the above!

Concepts-1 Previews & VCs.jpg

Concepts-2 Derivatives.jpg

• 20. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                                                shutrbugreader Level 1

I tried to import into LR on a mini-Mac from the same external hd and it

worked.

If then went back to my pc,  uninstalled LR, photoshop,and the cc ap,

restarted the pc re installed the cc ap and the same thing happened.  Older

images, already imported, edited, exported are not recognized.

Creating a virtual copy did not work, it gave the same folder not found

message.

New images, stored on the same ext hd, imported, edited, exported THIS week

no problem.  I would think that points to a problem with the LR update!!

I even went into photoshop cc and was able to import old images.   Windows

LR is looking like something happened with the latest update.

Grace and Glory,

Joel L. Southerland

RETIRED!

• 21. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                                                  meglmt

if i create a virtual copy of the raw file, will be an unedited version of the original import?

• 22. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time

The edits will be copied as well, however, you can reset to the raw files origina state.

• 23. Re: importing a raw image for editing a second time
                                                      JoeKostoss Level 4

I prefer to create a Snapshot of my edited file.  After creating this Snapshot, I go to the History and scroll to the bottom and click on the original Import in that History.  The image in the main image panel becomes the original import so I can start over.  After finishing the 2nd editing, I create another Snapshot.  If you want the first edit later for whatever reason, select the 1st Snapshot.  Both will always be there for your use.

Screenshot 2015-12-13 11.24.27.png