9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 11:21 AM by A.T. Romano

Audio missing from timeline

donm26210672 Level 1

I have Premiere Elements 13. I am adding some clips to the timeline but there is no audio. There is audio when I play the clip in the Project Assets. There is no waveform on the audio track. The audio in the other clips is working fine.

• 1. Re: Audio missing from timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

What computer operating system?

What are the properties of these clips that you are taking to the Timeline (assumed in Expert workspace)? Brand/model/settings for camera recording the problem video audio?

Is the clip without the Timeline audio the same as other clips on the Timeline from the same brand/model/settings for the same camera?

What happened when you delete the clip and re-imported it into the project - same no sound?

If you start a new project and just import this file (without sound in the original project), does not now have sound at the Timeline level?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio missing from timeline
            donm26210672 Level 1

I am using Windows 7.

All the clips were taken with the same camera as other clips which are fine.

I have deleted the clip, opened a new project and re-imported the clip but still no sound.

There is sound when I play it in Project Assets but not on the timeline so I assume the audio is corrctly imported, but why won't it paly on the timeline?

• 3. Re: Audio missing from timeline
              donm26210672 Level 1

I have looked at the prpoerties of a clip that works fine and the the Audio Source is 48000 Hz - compressed - stereo with the Project Audio the same except it is 'floating point' instead of compressed. The clip with no audio on the timeline has similar properties as above except it is 6 channels intead of stereo. I have absloutely no idea waht this means. I haven't tinkered with the audio on my cancorder so I don't know why the audio prpoerties would be different.

• 4. Re: Audio missing from timeline
                donm26210672 Level 1

I rechecked the audio settings on my camcorder and I had changed the audio from stereo to 5.1, so I checked the help files and I need to set up the Project settings to accept 5.1 ratehr than stereo.

1. Do one of the following:

• From the Welcome screen, click New Project.
                  • If Adobe Premiere Elements is open, choose File > New Project.

Click Change Settings to change the preset used. Select Full HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel from the AVCHD folder, and click OK.

I've tried that and it works so I will need to restart my Project with the above setting.

• 5. Re: Audio missing from timeline
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Thanks for the replies and the excellent work sorting through those audio properties.

There are times when you can use successfully Stereo (2 channel audio) and Dolby Digital (5.1 channel audio - also referred to as 6 channels) on the same Timeline for a project using project settings described for Stereo (2 channel audio). However, there have been reports when file with 5.1 channel runs into problem if it is not run from a project preset described for 5.1 channel audio.

There will be times that the project preset that you need is not described for 5.1 channel, but you need one in order to overcome problems with the source with 5.1 channel. For those cases, I have described how to create your own project preset with 5.1 channel audio in the description.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Exporting a 1080p50 or 1080p60 file with 5.1 Channel Audio

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Exporting a 1080p25 or 1080p30 file with 5.1 Channel Audio

How do you intend to export your Timeline? There are limited opportunities to export the Timeline line with the 5.1 channel in the file export. Some of that is addressed in the above links. The burn to products offer only Stereo (2 channel) audio.

Once the project preset has been established by you (manually) or the project (automatically), in the case of 13.1, you need to start a new project with the correct one. You will like have to do this yourself manually. Apparently you have done that successfully.

Please consider. If you need supplemental information on audio channels or anything in your Premiere Elements workflow, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio missing from timeline
                    donm26210672 Level 1

I'm not bothered about exporting using 5.1, so I'll change the camcorder audio setting back to stereo to prevent any future problems.

I assume that I cannot change the settings on the current project I'm working on so I'll have to start again with a new project. Is there any way I can copy/transfer the project assets to the new project?

• 7. Re: Audio missing from timeline
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Thanks for the follow up.

In Premiere Elements earlier than 13/13.1, the user could change project settings without starting a new project by editing the Notepad document of the saved closed Premiere Elements project file (.prel).

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project

Because of the format of the Notepad .prel document for 13/13.1, I have not found a way to do what is described for 13/13.1.

So, it is start a new project if the project preset needs to be changed in the current project.

For Windows 7 64 bit, you could explore ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements for a copy/paste insert between Premiere Elements projects.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

Otherwise, one exports the Timeline of project 1 to a file saved to the computer hard drive, and then import that export into a new project (keeping the project and export settings consistent between projects).

In the long run, it would probably be advisable to start a new project with a new import of the source media.

Please let me know if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Audio missing from timeline
                        donm26210672 Level 1

Thanks. I think I'll take your advice and start with a new project. At least I hadn't got very far.

• 9. Re: Audio missing from timeline
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Thanks for the update.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements workflows, and please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification for them.

ATR