6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 10:14 AM by photoarm

network version of lightroom available?

photoarm

I teach a highschool digital photography program and we need a new version of lightroom for a new school board wide software install.

We've had problems using LR4.4 on our school network and am wondering if a newer Network-friendly version of LR exists and what would the pricing look like?

• 1. Re: network version of lightroom available?
          dj_paige Level 9

There is no version of Lightroom where you can put the catalog file on a network drive.

Every version of Lightroom allows photos to be on network drives.

• 2. Re: network version of lightroom available?
            photoarm Level 1

So what is the best solution for a site like mine which is networked?  Any specific advice how to best set this up?

• 3. Re: network version of lightroom available?
              dj_paige Level 9

You haven't really defined the problem. For example, what is the goal? What is the desired result?

Do you need to put the catalog file on the network drive or can you put it on a local drive?

Do you want to put the photos on the network drive?

The more information you provide, the better the advice will be.

• 4. Re: network version of lightroom available?
                photoarm Level 1

Each student account has a limit of 200MB which is too small for any significant media, so we have a 12 TB Drobo drive that each student has a folder for storing their photos (RAW + JPEGs) on.

The students import their photos from the Drobo into LR 4.4 and edit then export back to the Drobo.

We have as part of the network script, a generic .cat file set up to each local machine which apparently allows LR to operate this way.  It also allows students to export their catalogs to the Drobo.

The problem we are having intermittently is their individual 200MB folders get filled up sometimes with auto created duplicate files/folders by Adobe in their "My Pictures" section of their 200MB network accounts which spikes "low memory" errors when the students are trying to import a new set of RAW photos from their Drobo folder.

My question is:  Is there a better way to set up LR on a network that will reduce these types of annoyances?

The second question I have is:  Who/How do I contact Adobe Canada to inquire about school site network licences for LR?  It seems impossible to find a contact name/number to ask such questions.  I only get directed to forums like these.

• 5. Re: network version of lightroom available?
                  dj_paige Level 9

Each student account has a limit of 200MB which is too small for any significant media, so we have a 12 TB Drobo drive that each student has a folder for storing their photos (RAW + JPEGs) on.

The students import their photos from the Drobo into LR 4.4 and edit then export back to the Drobo.

We have as part of the network script, a generic .cat file set up to each local machine which apparently allows LR to operate this way.  It also allows students to export their catalogs to the Drobo.

None of this would change if you upgraded to the most recent version of Lightroom.

The problem we are having intermittently is their individual 200MB folders get filled up sometimes with auto created duplicate files/folders by Adobe in their "My Pictures" section of their 200MB network accounts which spikes "low memory" errors when the students are trying to import a new set of RAW photos from their Drobo folder.

Expand the 200MB limit! Clean out the old files! Don't put the photos on the internal HD in the first place.

My question is:  Is there a better way to set up LR on a network that will reduce these types of annoyances?

Since Lightroom was not designed to be used like this, and you have created a work-around to allow it to function, the only thing that will reduce "these type of annoyances" is for you reduce these annoyances by changing the work-around that you have put into place: expand the 200 MB limit. Clean out the old files! Don't put the photos on the internal HD in the first place.

The second question I have is:  Who/How do I contact Adobe Canada to inquire about school site network licences for LR?  It seems impossible to find a contact name/number to ask such questions.  I only get directed to forums like these.

While I don't see a specific need for you to change your software, if you really want to contact Adobe, there are both live chat links, and sales phone numbers on the Adobe site.

• 6. Re: network version of lightroom available?
                    photoarm Level 1

Thanks for your advice.

While I agree the easiest solution would be to expand the student accounts, I do not administer that.  It is decided upon by my superiors who are loathe to take my advice or requests seriously.  They basically want to keep general student accounts small.

I forgot to mention the Drobo drive is attached to our local network so the student can all access it from anywhere in the school at the same time.  Not sure if that changes your advice in any way.  The Drobo works very well as it gives us tons of storage which is redundantly backed up across 6 separate drives which ensures the security of our data from loss.

The reason for updating the software is because of the system wide upgrade that is coming, plus some students are using newer cameras which are no longer supported by LR 4.4, plus there are some new tools available with 2015 LR CC which I'd like the students to learn about.

I will take your advice for contacting Adobe as well.  Thanks!