3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 11:52 AM by john beardsworth

Problems with the InDesign - Lightroom workflow

acho357

Hello!

I'm trying to make a portfolio in InDesign using the pictures I have on Lightroom, the problem I'm having is that when I make an adjustment in Lightroom that adjustment is not saved to the actual file so the changes don't apear in the InDesign document.

What I have been doing is adjusting the pictures on Lightroom, then opening them in Photoshop with Lightroom's adjustments, saving them as a different file and then placing them on the InDesign document. It works but its a total pain and I end up having 3 different versions of the same pictures.

I'm making very slight adjustments in exposure and color so all the pictures fit together, and its so much easier and faster to do it on Lightroom than in Photoshop.

Is there any way to save the adjustments I make on Lightroom on the file so InDesign can read them?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Problems with the InDesign - Lightroom workflow
          deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi,

The only other way around this will be to export the images out of the Lightroom and then place the Images in the In-design.

As the adjustments that you are do in the lightroom are not saved on the original image, they are saved in the catalog.

So when the image is exported out of the Lightroom the adjustment are applied on the image.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Problems with the InDesign - Lightroom workflow
            acho357 Level 1

Yeah thats kind of what im doing right now, exporting it to Photoshop and saving them as PSD but with Lightroom adjustments.

So there isn't any way to save the adjustments I make in Lightroom to the PSD file without having to export it and placing it in the InDesign document again?

• 3. Re: Problems with the InDesign - Lightroom workflow
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom is non-destructive - it doesn't change the images it works on.

What I would suggest is that you look at Publish Services. Set up a hard drive service with appropriate export settings (TIF, size etc) and add photos to a collection, then publish it. When photos change, they will be listed as "modified". You can use Export instead, but this last point helps manage the set of photos for the book/layout and shows which have been modified and need to be output again.

What Publish does is create a folder of TIF or PSD files, and it's these that I include in the InDesign layout.