5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2006 3:40 PM by Fiunary

white image on transparent background

Fiunary
      I have an image with white components which I want to save as a gif with transparent background but fireworks wants to export the white as transparent. Is there a way round this? Many thanks, Alex
        • 1. Re: white image on transparent background
          Level 7
          Alex,
          Make sure you select No Transparency in the Optimize panel.
          Alex

Fiunary wrote:
          > I have an image with white components which I want to save as a gif with
          > transparent background but fireworks wants to export the white as transparent.
          > Is there a way round this? Many thanks, Alex
          >
          • 2. Re: white image on transparent background
            Fiunary Level 1
            Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I need the background to be transparent. At the same time I need the white to be white. Selecting no transparency stops the background being transparent... or am I doing something wrong?
            • 3. Re: white image on transparent background
              Level 7
              There are several ways to approach this problem and most of depends on
              the image.

Could you post link to the image?

Fiunary wrote:
              > Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I need the background to be
              > transparent. At the same time I need the white to be white. Selecting no
              > transparency stops the background being transparent... or am I doing something
              > wrong?
              >
              • 4. Re: white image on transparent background
                abeall Level 3
                Two options come to my mind:

1) Set the transparency to No Transparency as Alex said. Then choose a background color that you do not need as a color as well. Then in the optimize panel, look in the bottom left and notice the three buttons with checkered backgrounds. The one with the plus icon lets you choose a transparent color by hand. Select that, and click the background color.

This way you can make the transparent be any color you want. The problem with this is it might be hard to find a color that isn't also in your image, and you might not *want* to change the background color(since this will affect your image possibly).

2) Use 'Alpha Transparency'. This is usually used for image formats, like PNG, that support full alpha transparency, but you can use it with a GIF in a way to: set your canvas background to Transparent(no fill), then choose Alpha Transparency for you GIF. Notice that now in Preview mode that only the background is transparent. You can then control the "matte" color in the Optimize panel to simulate as if there was a solid background color for semi-transparent areas, since semi-transparency can't be in a GIF it has to make it a solid color blended against a background color.
                • 5. Re: white image on transparent background
                  Fiunary Level 1
                  Thanks for the help. Your instructions got it sorted.