3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2006 7:42 AM by HKabaker

Linking to a file path containing 2 spaces

Mark Pud Level 1
      Hi all,

One of my RH project teams have run into an issue when they need to link to an external file who's network path contains 2 spaces. RH seems to strip out one of the spaces during the build process and thus breaks the link.

eg: file path file://W:/this is a test/New Text Document.txt gets changed to file:///W:/this%2520is%2520a%2520test/New%2520Text%2520Document.txt

Has anyone come across this and is aware of a fix/workaround?

Running Webhelp layout, v X5.0.1 (cannot apply v5.0.2 as we do not have SP2 for XP deployed - yes I know!)
        • 1. Re: Linking to a file path containing 2 spaces
          Mark Pud Level 1
          sorry for the duplicates, I get nothing but timeout errors on this forum!
          • 2. Re: Linking to a file path containing 2 spaces
            RoboColum(n) Level 5
            Hi Mark. The timeout errors are an occasional but annoying problem. My experience though is that the posting is made regardless of the error. Work that one out!
            • 3. Re: Linking to a file path containing 2 spaces
              HKabaker Level 2
              Mark,

Someone may know of a workaround.

One solution is to push for a standard that doesn't allow spaces in network drives, directory names and file names but_permits_underscores.

The best solution is to store WebHelp on a network drive that has a domain name and to point the link to its Intranet URL. No spaces are permitted.

I saw a truly awesome improvement in response time when the IT folks set this up for my material.

I don't know how much trouble it is to assign a domain name to a drive/server on an Intranet.

In my case, I publish to a network drive using the file system path X://rootdirectory/subdirectory/ ..... etc.

That drive also is a server on the company Intranet, so the browser address is

ht[xxxx]tp://division.company.net/subdirectory(ies).../myhelppackage.htm.
              [xxx inserted to block an automatic hyperlink]

There's a significant bonus: Navigating network file paths is increasing subject to security measures like identity/authorization checking by transmission chunk, which significantly slows response to the browser. Using a Web/Intranet path usually requires an identity check only once for a given file, when you first access it.

(I think that's the right explanation. Any experts on htt protocol are welcome to chime in.)

Harvey