5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2017 10:01 PM by MHP777123

Social media use - with a "Standard" license, can Stock photos (not "Social Media Enabled") in a video (used via link from a YouTube-"Unlisted" link) be a proper license use?

dl.l66156607

I have questions about Adobe Stock photos and "Standard" license usage. I need to know if using a link to a YouTube "unlisted" book trailer video with Adobe Stock photos (not labeled as "Social Media-Enabled Works") is considered "Social media" use under the "Standard' license? These video links would be used (but not displayed) from my own web site and on my Author page on Goodreads.com. I would also consider uploading the video book trailer directly to my Amazon author book page.

While "Social Media" is clearly a Facebook or Twitter (examples) use, YouTube can be both a social media use (when videos are made "public"), but also a video hosting service where "private" videos can only be viewed only by the account owner and "unlisted" videos can only be viewed by the account owner sharing/using the link to the video in another web site or email. Please don't refer me back to the existing license docs in Adobe Stock, support docs and existing forum questions, I have read through them all very carefully and they do not clearly answer my question. Use of Adobe Stock photos in videos is not well covered in the Standard license as well. A response is requested from Adobe Customer Support.

• 1. Re: Social media use - with a "Standard" license, can Stock photos (not "Social Media Enabled") in a video (used via link from a YouTube-"Unlisted" link) be a proper license use?
          Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

Hi There,

For the video scenario that you mentioned, you need to have exclusive rights on those images, which are not covered under Standard license. You need to have extended license for this and at the moment, Adobe Stock offers only standard licenses, allowing the licensee to use the images for illustration purposes only.

Extended licenses are available via Fotolia - Sizes and Licenses
          Let me know in case you have any additional questions.
          ~ Arpit

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Social media use - with a "Standard" license, can Stock photos (not "Social Media Enabled") in a video (used via link from a YouTube-"Unlisted" link) be a proper license use?
            dl.l66156607 Level 1

Adobe's response leaves the use of the the images in question with no reasonable alternative. With no Extended license offered, Adobe recommends that I go to Fotolia and buy more licenses for the same images I have already purchased?

The vague "Standard" license term promotes the use of Adobe Stock images for "marketing, promotional, or internal presentation or decoration purposes, subject further to the restrictions in Section 3." Section 3 seems overly broad according to the Social Media use interpretation provide in Adobe's October 21st response. The "Standard" license allows Website use in section 3.2, and of course there is the vague 3.3 section on Social Media Use, which was the subject of my question. In Adobe's response to my question, Social Media use can be interpreted as any use of Adobe Stock images on the Internet, since anything posted via the Internet on a website can end up on Social Media, even though the Adobe Stock image was not employed for a Social Media usage. So the "Standard" license seems to provide no protection for Adobe Stock customers against misuse of the Standard license since most marketing and promotional uses involve use of a website on the Internet.

May I return the unused images I have purchased to Adobe for a credit to use somewhere else since there is no Extended license available? While I have been an Adobe software user for over 14 years, further use of Adobe Stock with these vague license terms is not an option. I will continue to buy images from Shutterstock and other image/video sites where the license terms have been reasonably written and configured for their customers.

D. Lowther

• 3. Re: Social media use - with a "Standard" license, can Stock photos (not "Social Media Enabled") in a video (used via link from a YouTube-"Unlisted" link) be a proper license use?
              dl.l66156607 Level 1

FYI followup: After being informed I could not use the Standard license as I described, I spent a lot of time on the phone with Adobe Support seeking a refund for the Stock images I purchased. Although I have not used the Stock images and they don't have an Extended license to sell for 3 more months, Adobe Stock Policy prohibited a refund. Even after I informed them my deadline for using the images comes in just a few weeks. Go figure the customer support on that policy.

D. Lowther

• 4. Re: Social media use - with a "Standard" license, can Stock photos (not "Social Media Enabled") in a video (used via link from a YouTube-"Unlisted" link) be a proper license use?
                MHP777123

Hi, can you please clarify something for me? I would like to use Adobe Stock images in videos that I want to publish to YouTube. For example, I recorded a video of my choir performing a song. I have received permission from the publisher to post the video to YouTube. I would like to start the video with an image from Adobe Stock and overlay the credits on that image. Can I do this with a Standard License image? Thanks!

• 5. Re: Social media use - with a "Standard" license, can Stock photos (not "Social Media Enabled") in a video (used via link from a YouTube-"Unlisted" link) be a proper license use?
                  MHP777123 Level 1

Hi, I replied to the original writer yesterday and meant to reply to you (Staff).

In addition to my question (post 4), which asks for clarification on the Adobe Stock - in - YouTube videos thing (and in which I give an example of using an AS image in a choral performance video on YouTube), I would like to add that the Web page spelling out the Standard License states the following:

"3.1(B)(1) Unless the Work is a video, you may not cause or allow any Work to be reproduced more than 500,000 times in total...This restriction does not apply to Works that are displayed on a website, Social Media Sites, or mobile applications..."

Furthermore, per this page, such a video example is for personal use (3.1(A)(3)), it would not be possible for a visitor to download or reuse the image since it is blended into the video (3.1(A)(3)), it would not be part of merchandise (3.1(B)(2), it is not part of a template (3.1(B)(3)), and it is not part of a press release (3.1(B)(4)). According to Adobe's own definition of a Standard License for Adobe Stock Images, such an example as I describe appears to be free and clear under the Standard License.

So, I'm a bit confused as to your response to dLI66156607. That response seems to imply that one cannot use AS images in YouTube videos, while the Standard License description appears to leave it free and clear (under an example such as I described).

Please clarify! Thanks!