6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 11:29 AM by mikesuex

How do I completely delete a project?

mikesuex Level 1

Hi.

I'm Using Premier Elements 13 and have created a number of projects on my Mac. I would like to delete the projects and clear out all the files that  appear to scattered all over the place. Can anyone give me a clear answer as to how to clean up my machine?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I completely delete a project?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mikesuex

Have you been through the Adobe document on how to delete a project file and its assets when you no longer want them?

Delete a project | Premiere Elements

Basically, if you have not done some plan ahead strategy for this project delete moment, wherever they are, you will need to delete the project file and its scratch disc files which by default were automatically saved to the computer at the locations designated in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

The key "caution" is make sure that you do not delete any of the project source media that is being used in wanted projects. Otherwise, you will get into some nasty media project connect issues with the wanted projects.

Please consider the above. If any questions or need clarification on the above, please ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I completely delete a project?
            mikesuex Level 1

Dera Mr Romano

Thanks for a swift reply to my query. Yes, I had read the Adobe document

you pointed me towards. Unfortunately it falls at the first post by telling

me to go to the Task Panel. I have read the full manual and can find no

reference to a Task Panel, hence I am unable to follow the rest of the

instructions.

I always, when creating a project, put a folder on my desktop to save my

work to but I am sure that Premier Elements is stacking stuff in all kinds

of other  nooks and crannies to make life tricky for me:-)

Is the task Panel where it says ADD MEDIA and PROJECT ASSETS? If so I can

not see anything about EDIT.

Hope you can advise me further.

Thanks

Mike

• 3. Re: How do I completely delete a project?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the reply.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I think that we should be able to work through this.

Basically you want to delete the project.file and the files that the project generated and saved automatically to your computer when it is performing certain functions.

If the project.files is going to be deleted anyway I see no reason for you to deal with the first part of the Adobe document on deleting media from the project.

Onward to focus on the document's next section on project deletion. (The first part talked about project media deletion within the project - so related to Add Media/...../Project Assets.)

The Scratch files are those to which I referred to "...the project generates and saves automatically to your computer....." above.

You should be able to determine where these Scratch files are from the information under Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and its categories. (In Mac, the menu header might be different than starting with Edit Menu...you want the preferences and Scratch Disks. Once you know the location of the Scratch Disks files, then you go to those locations and delete those related to the unwanted project. The folders and files needing deletion as per the Adobe document

• Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save
              • Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files 
              • Encoded Files
              • Media Cache Files

Also see Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database.

Please consider and let me know if you are OK on the details. If not, please do not hesitate where you need supplemental information. As I wrote before

The key "caution" is make sure that you do not delete any of the project source media that is being used in wanted projects. Otherwise, you will get into some nasty media project connect issues with the wanted projects.

As a point of reference, what have you been putting in the desktop folder?

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I completely delete a project?
                mikesuex Level 1

WOW! ATR

Thanks once again for your help. I have attached a screen shot of what I

have in the folder on my Desktop. I guess I could just blow the folder away

and then clear down the Scratch Disk and I'm done. What doe you think?

All the best

Mike

• 5. Re: How do I completely delete a project?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Sounds like you did well planning ahead for the time when you no longer wanted the project and its assets. Well done pointing all that to one folder saved on the computer.

I worry about potential for missing source media in a wanted project. Time consuming and often difficult job for media project reconnects. So, be sure to double check the content of your unwanted project's desktop folder to assure that some wanted did not get mixed in with the unwanted.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I completely delete a project?
                    mikesuex Level 1

Thanks ATR,

I shut my eyes and pressed the button. All is well.

Nice Italian name, Romano. My guess is the A stands for Antonio.

Thanks for your speedy help. I now have lots of room on my Mac:-)

Cheers

Mike