13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2015 4:52 PM by Rick Gerard

AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!

omarf93121931

Hey guys, I run a Windows 8, i7 PC, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForece GTX 660 Graphics Card.

Hey there!

I have used Key-light to work with green screen footage of up to 10 minutes or more previously on this same PC, however I am currently struggling at the moment, not only on this PC, but my other Laptop, which has an even better graphics card, and same RAM.

This issue I have is that both performance and rendering (on time line and in render queue) starts out at normal speed, but then it exponentially gets slower and slower, to the point it feels it would take a few days. This is crazy as previously on the same PC when I rendered the exact same type of projects, in terms of footage format etc... it would only take over night. Please help me as it is very frustrating. I have both tried working from USB 3 Hardrives (separating footage from main drive where AE is installed), and directly from my local drives as well (working all from one drive.)

Omar Farook

• 1. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE? Is it up to date? What may have changed? Do you have any 3rd party codec packs installed. They can kill decoding in some types of footage which will slow things way down. What about system resources? Have you tried opening up an old project to see how that renders? What else is going on in the composition? What other effects are being used?

My first guess would be that the footage is taking a long time to decode. I'd convert it to an Image Sequence using the Adobe Media Encoder and replace the footage in the project so see how that renders. My second guess would be that your system resources have been re-assigned, that memory did not free up from previous apps, or that there has been some change in 3rd party software that is slowing things down.

• 2. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!
            omarf93121931 Level 1

I have tried using CS6, CC and CC.2015. I went to old projects that was essentially the same type of videos and was produced with the same PC (this was rendered in only a a few hours last time) but the same issue was found. I tried doing exactly what I did last time, which is using the same settings on keylight, I tried different video formatting/sizes etc... and also using the same version of AE which was CC at the time. Still no luck.

As far as Codecs goes, I remember having issues with premier pro accepting certain video formats, so I tried installing a few codecs, I don't know if that is the issue. The formats I tried were H.264, and .mov.

when you say system resources to mean allocating RAM and Multi Processing? I did try play with those settings but no luck. What strikes me is that the exact same thing happened on my laptop which is essentially the same specs as my PC. I'll try the image sequence, but its just a shame that it won't do what it did last time.

• 3. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!
              omarf93121931 Level 1

The issue is definitely with Keylight, as if I turn everything off and run keylight, problem persists, but if I leave Key light as the only effect on, problem disappears

• 4. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!

I don't understand. Are you saying if you have only Keylight applied to the comp the problem goes away? You said if you turn everything off and run Keylight the problem persists, then you said if you leave Keylight on the problem disappears? Sorry, I'm confused.

Did you try an old project? I suspect that it is a combination of factors. Also, is AE up to date?

• 5. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!
                  omarf93121931 Level 1

Sorry Rick, my mistake, early day today hehe,

So I actually meant:

The issue is definitely with Keylight, as if I turn everything off and run keylight, problem persists, but if I leave Key light as the only effect OFF, problem disappears

• 6. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!

I would try another clip with a different codec or render your original clip as an image sequence and see what happens. If that doesn't make any difference then let us know.

My test would be to take the original clip and trim it to 100 frames. Then Render the clip as a tiff sequence using the AME or the Render Cue. I would then create a new composition 200 frames long, drop in the original clip and the image sequence. The image sequence would be the first 100 frames, the original footage the last 100 frames. Then I would pre-compose both clips and apply key light so that you pull a fairly good key as simply as possible. Then do a test render to an image sequence using the Render Cue and watch the progress of the 200 frame render. If the first 100 frames render much faster than the last 200 frames then you know that it's the footage that is having a big problem being decoded by the CPU. If there is no significant difference in render times then I'd match your Keylight Settings you are using in the original project. This test should take you about 15 or 20 minutes and it will point to the problem.

I still don't know if your AE is up to date or if something changed on your system.

• 7. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!
                      omarf93121931 Level 1

I tried Tiff, its all still exponentially increasing, I am really getting tired of this, and falling behind on deadlines big time. I just cant get it, why would something change. I tried my old files where the renders took only a couple hours and now the same files are taking ages as well.

• 8. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!
                        omarf93121931 Level 1

Yes its most likely what you said, as the last frames get slower to render. How can this problem be fixed.

• 9. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!
                          omarf93121931 Level 1

I have used both the latest AE CC 2015, CC and CS6, I tried now mpeg and h.264, all same results

• 10. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!

I have one more suggestion for you. Open up your Preferences>General tab but before you click on General hold down the shift key. This will bring up the Secret preferences panel at the bottom. Turn on Purge Image cache after every few frames and see if this helps.

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 11.47.32 AM.png

Because the time to render increases with every frame there may be some cacheing issues going on.

Again, is your AE up to date? What changed?

• 11. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!
                              omarf93121931 Level 1

Thank you for prompt responses, really appreciate it. When you say up to date what do you mean? I mentioned previously I tried different versions of AE (CS6, CC and CC2015) is that what you mean?

• 12. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!
                                omarf93121931 Level 1

I have tried your suggestion which is add purge every 10 frames, then I tried 2 frames, same problem. I mean the only thing that comes to mind is the fact that I installed

bit-defender on both computers as a anti-virus, thats the only change that I made on both my PCs and I think it was around the same time I first started experiencing this problem, I really do not want to resort the the keying features on premier pro, its just not the same. 

• 13. Re: AE Keylight Exponentially slow render!

I suspect it's your anti virus program. They are known for looking at every new file and when you are rendering every frame is a new file. This can cause the antivirus program to look at the fine and examine the first frame, then when the next frame is created, the anti virus app looks at the first and second frames, then on and on until it is checking the 100th frame rendered by going back and scanning all frames rendered from 1 to 100. This would explain the exponential increase in rendering time.